Ceramic or No?

Chuckster

Founding Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice, considering getting a ceramic coating on my ZR2 (Blue). I have had paint sealants done before, but never ceramic so have little knowledge on it. I have read various pros and cons, I would appreciate feedback from those that have experience with it.

I'm scheduled to get it done on Monday the 6th. I've never done it before but I used Turtlewax Hybrid ceramic on my previous truck and I was very impressed with it, but I applied it every 2nd or 3rd wash. It's a lot of work but I think it's the perfect "wax" for modern vehicles. So...I figured why not get it professionally done and then I won't have to struggle to maintain that fantastic sheen because this glacier blue ZR2 wants to pop all the time.

I ceramic coated my wife's silver Traverse Redline package when it first came home from the dealer and it's held up very well even with our Canadian winters and road salt. I applied it myself and even though she only uses drive through car washes it looks good after. I told my dealer when my ZR2 comes in to not even clean it as I'll clay bar and ceramic coat it as soon I it comes home.

I want to give mine the 'frozen' look. Anyone know if that can be done with ceramic or does it need to get a wrap for that?

I get all my vehicles ceramic coated, well worth the cost for the slick look, protection and ease of washing.

My current 2020 LTZ and my wife's 2021 IS350, both coated within 3 days of purchase.

Attachments

• 20191221_125250.jpg
    20191221_125250.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210819_131343.jpg
    20210819_131343.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 181
I want to give mine the 'frozen' look. Anyone know if that can be done with ceramic or does it need to get a wrap for that?
I believe the stealth ppf is needed for the frozen look. But I know very little. I would honestly welcome some schooling on coatings and whatnot.

I have heard that you’re not supposed to use drive-thru car washes after ceramic coating, because they’ll just take it off. They’re only like 0.008 inches thick and are easily removed with a rough brush. Hand wash with towels is recommended.

Will now Google “clay bar”

You mean like a frosted or satin look? That's gonna require a wrap. Ceramic coatings are a gloss enhancer.

Never done ceramic before. If you do ceramic and PPF, which goes on first, the PPF?

I pick up my Z tomorrow :) : ) :) But the only reason it is tomorrow is because I had it delayed since I wanted PPF, ceramic and tint done before I even touched the fob. First vehicle to have it done for me, but everyone I have spoken to about it loves the fact that they had theirs coated.

usually the ppf has ceramic in it
Some do, absolutely. The one I got does. But they just coat the whole truck including the PPF with ceramic anyway. PPF for the entire truck would've been mucho dinero. I don't have that kinda cash.

Point I was getting at is you do PPF first, because it will have trouble adhering if you ceramic before PPF though.

I get all my vehicles ceramic coated, well worth the cost for the slick look, protection and ease of washing.

My current 2020 LTZ and my wife's 2021 IS350, both coated within 3 days of purchase.
Looks amazing! How much can you expect to pay for a quality ceramic application?

emm I've seen upwards of $2k. "Chemical Guys" sells a DIY ceramic coating and a ceramic wax. My understanding is the wax hold up for a year where as the coating is 10 years, otherwise same results. They actually sell the wax as a 1 year ceramic protection rather than a wax. I bought the wax havent had any issues though I dont have a car with ceramic coating to compare it too. But I figured for the cost savings I can give up a few hrs a year.

They also make several other ceramic products for interior, exterior wheels etc. I put the interior fabric stuff on me and my kids shoes furniture etc. Works well IMO. Walmart carries it but its not the same. They also have a ton of spray air fresheners my daughters like the donut scent in their rooms.

Senseless plug but I havent had any issues with any of their products.

Last edited:
Am I wrong to want to hold off on this until they get the paint issues fixed?

Am I wrong to want to hold off on this until they get the paint issues fixed?
No I would hold of on any area's needing fixed. Don't want to give them any excuses if the paint fix messes up. I ceramic coated my truck except for the hood as its getting repainted.

Mine was done today by a local shop. I just don’t have access to a garage to house the truck completely in order to do a proper prep and application. Florida homes are vacation homes in design and have zero practically for long vehicles.

I will say, in person, the truck “glows” now. Almost looks as it’s own light source.

For the money, let’s hope it lasts.

Attachments

• FCA45AEE-990B-4C83-B1F6-83F8EF521A77.jpeg
    FCA45AEE-990B-4C83-B1F6-83F8EF521A77.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 85
Mine was done today by a local shop. I just don’t have access to a garage to house the truck completely in order to do a proper prep and application. Florida homes are vacation homes in design and have zero practically for long vehicles.

I will say, in person, the truck “glows” now. Almost looks as it’s own light source.

For the money, let’s hope it lasts.
Looks really good. I need to get my front bumper wrapped then get coating. As I was on my was to the shop for 2 week checkup on PPF a dump truck spilled something that looked like glass or plastic right in front of me on I-15. :rolleyes:

PPF is holding up well on the rocker panels.

Most Member Reactions

Back