Chip Resistant Orange Peel Paint

j3oomerang

Reaction score
I had a question about the protective paint GM uses. I traveled 3 hours to buy a super low mileage used 2023 ZR2 and saw that the chip resistant "orange peel" paint was like halfway up the door panel. I had test driven a ZR2 before and didn't notice that texture coming so high up but maybe it shows up more on a black truck. Seemed like a defect to me so I ultimately passed on the truck and drove back home.

My question is, how far up does that orange peel texture go up on your ZR2?

Measuring from the bottom edge of the rocker panel, mine only extends up 11”. I don’t blame you for rejecting the truck if it was half way up the door.

thanks for the info, would you say that's about up to the first bend/crease on the door? Eleven inches seems like quite a bit (I know, that's what she said) but if that's normal, I can live with it. Can you upload a picture if you get a chance? I know it's hard to photograph.

thanks for the info, would you say that's about up to the first bend/crease on the door? Eleven inches seems like quite a bit (I know, that's what she said) but if that's normal, I can live with it. Can you upload a picture if you get a chance? I know it's hard to photograph.
The stylish crease is at 13”. If they went any less with the protectant it probably would have been ineffective. But it’s an odd decision considering how far the tires are tucked. You really don’t notice it unless you get down on the ground. I couldn’t capture it due to reflection and the subtleness of the protectant layer.

I had a question about the protective paint GM uses. I traveled 3 hours to buy a super low mileage used 2023 ZR2 and saw that the chip resistant "orange peel" paint was like halfway up the door panel. I had test driven a ZR2 before and didn't notice that texture coming so high up but maybe it shows up more on a black truck. Seemed like a defect to me so I ultimately passed on the truck and drove back home.

Unless your comment is exaggerated (half way up the door), it is normal for it to come up to the first door crease.

They actually use chip prone paint on these expensive trucks. It's the worst paint I've seen on a truck. I've got 3200 miles on my black truck and about 3200 paint chips too. I've chewed on harder Good N Plenty.

If you want good paint, look at a Ram or Ford. Otherwise, just wait until it's full of chips and you'll know where to spray the Line X.

It’s hard to see in the picture but the protective finish stops about 3-1/2 inches before the first body crease.
05B18EBD-E771-4305-8AFE-D922F7C2D388.jpeg

Unless your comment is exaggerated (half way up the door), it is normal for it to come up to the first door crease.
I was exaggerating a little bit, but when I said halfway up the door, I wasn't including the window portion.
They actually use chip prone paint on these expensive trucks. It's the worst paint I've seen on a truck. I've got 3200 miles on my black truck and about 3200 paint chips too. I've chewed on harder Good N Plenty.

If you want good paint, look at a Ram or Ford. Otherwise, just wait until it's full of chips and you'll know where to spray the Line X.
Not really what I wanted but the discounts I'm seeing on these RAMs are very tempting.

Thanks for all the responses, I had no idea that was normal and thought it looked really bad on black at least.

Solid photo @Dondo , I can see it perfectly!

My Dad has a 23 Ram Lariat Longhorn with the Etorque motor. It's equipped with a lot of high end interior options, rides great, and hauls ass. That Etorque motor puts out slightly less HP, but it doesn't really feel like it. Excellent trucks and they add hardener to their paint, not sugar.

My Dad has a 23 Ram Lariat Longhorn with the Etorque motor. It's equipped with a lot of high end interior options, rides great, and hauls ass. That Etorque motor puts out slightly less HP, but it doesn't really feel like it. Excellent trucks and they add hardener to their paint, not sugar.
My next door neighbor just got a Laramie, E - Torque. I normally don't like any of this "E"- junk on a vehicle, but you're right it's impressive. The interior is amazing. His 2019 was flawless, never back to the dealer. I've had good luck with the two Ram diesels that I owned as well.

I had two loaded RAM Limiteds. A 2019 and a 2021. The 19 was a 5.7L HEMI. The 21 was the 5.7L eTorque. Awesome trucks and never had an issue with either. If they didn't give me $7000 more than I paid for the 21 during COVID, I may still have it.

I meant Laramie Longhorn. Which I think is the High Country equivalent.

I run Rams for a business I own with my Dad. He's a 30 year Dodge/Ram fan and I am not brand particular. Always had good luck with them. I just spent a month driving them and they are good trucks.

I could go Chevy or Ram.......my first truck was a Chevy so it remains.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back