Cylinder 4 misfiring.

Keewatin427

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was hoping to never have to post on the Problems and Issues thread, but the other day I started up my truck and it immediately sounded off. I used the remote starter and after about 10 seconds it shut off on its own. I was parked between two cars, so I thought I’d maybe hit a wrong button on the fob as I was holding my keys in one hand and throwing some stuff in the back seat. After getting in the truck it started up when I pushed the starter, but again it sounded raspy. Then the check engine light was flashing, as well as the front impact warning light. I wanted to get my truck out of the underground garage in case I needed a tow, so I limped it outside. I realized my dealership’s service bay closed at 5pm and I had 30 minutes to get there, so I eased it to them. After a day the news was that cylinder 4 was misfiring. They re-flashed the truck a couple times and after restarting it was no longer misfiring and no errors were reported. I picked it up today and it feels and sounds great, but this has definitely made me uneasy. All this and I’ve only got 16155 km on it (Thats a trench hair over 10,000 miles in American) I think it’s time to upgrade to an oil catch can.
On another note; has anyone upgraded their camshaft? I ask because if I’m going to take it in to get a more aggressive cam, I’d get them to replace the cheap lifters, too.

Might just be a bad spark plug wire or ignition, they can happen intermittently.

Might just be a bad spark plug wire or ignition, they can happen intermittently.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking with my cursory understanding of the L87, that it might be a coil pack. I’m hoping it’s that minor and not carbon build up in the injector. 🤞🏽

Yeah, I really haven't looked that closely at mine to know whats in there. I've been driving a diesel for 20 years, so a different animal. I did replace a coil in my boys Tacoma that was misfiring. Perry simple 10 minute fix.

Hey all,

I was hoping to never have to post on the Problems and Issues thread, but the other day I started up my truck and it immediately sounded off. I used the remote starter and after about 10 seconds it shut off on its own. I was parked between two cars, so I thought I’d maybe hit a wrong button on the fob as I was holding my keys in one hand and throwing some stuff in the back seat. After getting in the truck it started up when I pushed the starter, but again it sounded raspy. Then the check engine light was flashing, as well as the front impact warning light. I wanted to get my truck out of the underground garage in case I needed a tow, so I limped it outside. I realized my dealership’s service bay closed at 5pm and I had 30 minutes to get there, so I eased it to them. After a day the news was that cylinder 4 was misfiring. They re-flashed the truck a couple times and after restarting it was no longer misfiring and no errors were reported. I picked it up today and it feels and sounds great, but this has definitely made me uneasy. All this and I’ve only got 16155 km on it (Thats a trench hair over 10,000 miles in American) I think it’s time to upgrade to an oil catch can.
On another note; has anyone upgraded their camshaft? I ask because if I’m going to take it in to get a more aggressive cam, I’d get them to replace the cheap lifters, too.
Did you end up getting your camshaft and lifters upgraded? Can you please update.

They have DFM delete kits that do replace all that. But I don't think they offer it for refreshed trucks yet.
This is where I’m at, waiting on Range or someone else to offer DFM and auto stop disable for 2022 Refresh thru 2024, preferably with a throttle controller. I mentioned it to the new guy repping Ultimate9 on the forum. If they had DFM and auto stop disable, that would make them a must buy for the 6.2L gang.

Most Member Reactions

Back