Data Plans?

rwBrooks

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 23-ZR2. I have been doing some homework
on the vehicle to find out as much as I can about the pluses and minuses of owning a new vehicle.
I have learned that some of the dash display, entertainment center and GPS do not work unless
you have a data plan? What the hell is up with that? I understand that I would have to pay monthly fees
to get a plan so everything will work and continue to work as long as you pay a monthly fee. At $80,000
(Tax license etc.) I would think that all of that is included in the price of the truck. Can someone explain
how and why it is that way and is it worth it? I am finding that Ford, Ram and other mfgs are doing the same thing
The last new vehicle I purchased new was in 1986 and it had none of that BS on it.

So really you don't have to have a data plan. I did get one, but only because I always keep remote access on my truck and I was able to get unlimited data for 10 bucks more. For 10 bucks it's worth it to me as my kids will use the wifi.

Android auto or carplay works fine without the plan. Even with the plan I still use android auto for everything pretty much. The data plan gives you unlimited Hotspot in your truck. It allows the built in Google to connect to the internet.

The biggest two negatives if you don't have a plan are. 1. you lose the full-screen map. Only the built in Google map shows up full screen and with out internet it doesn't work.
2 Is you lose the speed limit indicator on the hud. It uses the built Google maps data. With out a data plan they delete the off line data. That feature won't work without that. This is the BS part. You should be able to download off line maps while on wifi and then all that stuff would work with out data. They basically disabled that feature if you don't have a data plan. Seems like a cash grab on GMs part.

Last edited:
Good read as I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a 22. It was used so I only got one month OnStar and WiFi. I received an email from OnStar saying if I activate before my one month expires I will get the first 2 or 3 months free.

What about OnStar plans? Was reading up on those. Does an OnStar plan require a data plan? If so are they billed separate or bundled? Isn't the WiFi via ATT? Was planning on using CarPlay and I have WiFi to the truck at home. I don't have any need for the in truck WiFi but it appears the truck does. Nice to know the negatives. If I got OnStar I was going to go with the very basic package to be able to use the My Chevy app. I had OnStar back in 2013 on my Cruze. I think I got the basic package called connect or something.

If you don't get anything I wonder about updates? Can they still come via you home WiFi? I have a recall on my 22 already on the DRL. I can take it to the dealer or have the truck update itself. The recall shows on my GM account but the truck hasn't seen the update as yet.

Agree. A cash grab by GM.

Good read as I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a 22. It was used so I only got one month OnStar and WiFi. I received an email from OnStar saying if I activate before my one month expires I will get the first 2 or 3 months free.

What about OnStar plans? Was reading up on those. Does an OnStar plan require a data plan? If so are they billed separate or bundled? Isn't the WiFi via ATT? Was planning on using CarPlay and I have WiFi to the truck at home. I don't have any need for the in truck WiFi but it appears the truck does. Nice to know the negatives. If I got OnStar I was going to go with the very basic package to be able to use the My Chevy app. I had OnStar back in 2013 on my Cruze. I think I got the basic package called connect or something.

If you don't get anything I wonder about updates? Can they still come via you home WiFi? I have a recall on my 22 already on the DRL. I can take it to the dealer or have the truck update itself. The recall shows on my GM account but the truck hasn't seen the update as yet.

Agree. A cash grab by GM.
So that remote access I was talking about is onstar. It is so you can access and control your truck from your phone, Remote Start, lock, ect. You do not need data plan for that. Remote access is 15 a month now I believe. I have that plus unlimited data for 25 a month.

And yes updates can be done over wifi at home, or you can Hotspot off of your phone.

So that remote access I was talking about is onstar. It is so you can access and control your truck from your phone, Remote Start, lock, ect. You do not need data plan for that. Remote access is 15 a month now I believe. I have that plus unlimited data for 25 a month.

And yes updates can be done over wifi at home, or you can Hotspot off of your phone.
Just got off the phone with OnStar and he was advising me that the Premium OnStar plan includes WiFi BUT if you don't ask about it they'll go ahead and let you pay the additional $15 a month for WiFi on top of that. Nice of them to do that.

Just got off the phone with OnStar and he was advising me that the Premium OnStar plan includes WiFi BUT if you don't ask about it they'll go ahead and let you pay the additional $15 a month for WiFi on top of that. Nice of them to do that.
Very interesting about the additional $15 for Wi-Fi that is included with the Premium Onstar plan. I registered with Onstar and got a discount for First Responder / Veteran. Onstar bills me separately for the Premium plan and Data. Together, with taxes and fees I pay $44.44 vs $49.99 plus taxes and fees.

Just curious if data is billed separately with anyone else.

Doesn't surprise me. Their plans and pricing seems scattered. When I got mine unlimited data was 25 and 2 gigs was I think 15. Remote access was 15. They had a bundle, but it was 25 for only two gigs of data. Now the plan I have is on their site. Unlimited data plus remote access for 24.99. Kicker is right under it they still list just unlimited data at 25.00 a month lol.

Very interesting about the additional $15 for Wi-Fi that is included with the Premium Onstar plan. I registered with Onstar and got a discount for First Responder / Veteran. Onstar bills me separately for the Premium plan and Data. Together, with taxes and fees I pay $44.44 vs $49.99 plus taxes and fees.

Just curious if data is billed separately with anyone else.
Data is billed separate. It’s from AT&T

Also a choke you can’t add the vehicle to an existing discounted family/responder/veteran plan.

The plan structure and packages are very much broken, unclear, and vague from Onstar.

Doesn't surprise me. Their plans and pricing seems scattered. When I got mine unlimited data was 25 and 2 gigs was I think 15. Remote access was 15. They had a bundle, but it was 25 for only two gigs of data. Now the plan I have is on their site. Unlimited data plus remote access for 24.99. Kicker is right under it they still list just unlimited data at 25.00 a month lol.
They certainly make it about as confusing as possible. I even asked a salesman at a local dealer and he could not explain their packages and rates AFTER he went to a dedicated OnStar training session!

I just purchased the Connected Vehicle along with unlimited data package for $25 a month. It looks like I'm going to have 2 separate charges and I'm getting the Connected Vehicle for $9.99 and unlimited data for $15.

When you sign up does it give the option of what day of the month they take payments? Or is it based on the day of the month you sign up. I like to have all my bills due just after 1st of the month.

When you sign up does it give the option of what day of the month they take payments? Or is it based on the day of the month you sign up. I like to have all my bills due just after 1st of the month.
The billing on mine is based on the day that I purchased the truck but I subscribed during the 30 day trial. They gave me an additional 2 months when I signed up so my first bill will be exactly 3 months from the day I bought my truck. You can probably time it by letting your trial expire and then sign up on the 1st.

Ok thanks. I purchased my truck the beginning of December. I’m on the 30 day trial so billing should work out.

It was interesting. One day I got in and the truck said you have a message from OnStar. I needed to press the blue button to complete my activation. I did that and the rep said everything was already in order??

They certainly make it about as confusing as possible. I even asked a salesman at a local dealer and he could not explain their packages and rates AFTER he went to a dedicated OnStar training session!

I just purchased the Connected Vehicle along with unlimited data package for $25 a month. It looks like I'm going to have 2 separate charges and I'm getting the Connected Vehicle for $9.99 and unlimited data for $15.
Yep that's the same plan I have. I also get billed twice for those separate amounts. But I knew that's how it would be. When I signed up, I did it through the blue button because that plan was not on their website then. They told me it would be the two separate charges. I wanted the Connected Vehicle plan for the app access to the truck. So I looked at it as I was getting unlimited data for 10 bucks a month.

I talked to OnStar on the phone. The rep suggested I keep the Premium plan I got with my ZR2 for two months given the first two months are free if I signed up before my one month trail expired. Then switch to the Vehicle Connect and unlimited data for $25 a month in March. The Premium plan includes unlimited data. Sounded good to me. After he set it up I noticed a $15 auto with draw for unlimited data that day. Nothing taken for OnStar. My account shows I'm still on the Premium plan. My one month trail expired yesterday. Confusing for sure.

I have no need for a data plan, so I just signed up for the annual Essentials Plan and received 14 months for the price of 12.

My trial offer was coming to an end in a few days and I called OnStar and got the premium package which includes unlimited data for 439.00 taxes included for a year with my military discount. They didn't even ask me for a copy of my DD-214. This comes out to 37.00 dollars a month which isn't too shabby.

My trial offer was coming to an end in a few days and I called OnStar and got the premium package which includes unlimited data for 439.00 taxes included for a year with my military discount. They didn't even ask me for a copy of my DD-214. This comes out to 37.00 dollars a month which isn't too shabby.
i pay $200 yearly for my maps to work. i was bummed when i found out it was google nav. i took for granted it was GM nav.

i pay $200 yearly for my maps to work. i was bummed when i found out it was google nav. i took for granted it was GM nav.
Yes, that is correct, it's Google Nav. I traded in my 2017 High Country and it was GM Nav. Even then they wanted 99.00 dollars a year to update your GM maps. They always try to squeeze money out of you one way or another.

Most Member Reactions

Back