Different Oil Weight ???

SeaHunt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know our rigs call for 0W-20 oil but I was wondering since I live in South Florida were it hardly never gets below 50 degrees in the winter for a few weeks and average temps being in the upper 80's to 90's year round could I go with a heavier weight oil like 5W-20 or 10W-30 ? That 0W-20 seems to be very thin in the hot climate where I live. What are your thoughts ? Anyone here running a different weight of oil outside of 0W-20 ? I got a friend that has a 2017 HC with a 6.2L and he uses straight 30W oil. Thanks !

Hey guys, I know our rigs call for 0W-20 oil but I was wondering since I live in South Florida were it hardly never gets below 50 degrees in the winter for a few weeks and average temps being in the upper 80's to 90's year round could I go with a heavier weight oil like 5W-20 or 10W-30 ? That 0W-20 seems to be very thin in the hot climate where I live. What are your thoughts ? Anyone here running a different weight of oil outside of 0W-20 ? I got a friend that has a 2017 HC with a 6.2L and he uses straight 30W oil. Thanks !
While under warranty, I would stay with the recommended oil...especially with the lifter issue problem. Post-warranty, I 100% agree and I would probably go with a 5W30 full synthetic here in FL.

0-20 is absolutely an emission based oil choice. The LT1’s call for 0-40. I’m sure that’s not because they rolled the dice and landed on different viscosity.

I haven’t dug into bearing clearances to confirm that as of yet. But I’ll bet they are the same.

Not sure it matters, but they went to 8 quarts of oil from 6 quarts of 5W30 on previous motors. I think the 2 extra quarts help with cooling the thin oil and improve oil life. I hate watching this thin oil go in, but I've logged a lot of miles on few vehicles with it.

That being said, I have about 6500 miles on my ZR2 and I think it's using some oil after about 2k miles post change. I might try a 5w30 to see what happens.

Last edited:
i have 5000 miles on my 22'. im sticking with factory recommended weight (viscosity of water) due to lifter issue. im also on my 3rd oil change. more frequent changes cant hurt. so far so good.

Like security guy stated...stick with the 0w20 while under warranty. 3 oil changes in 5000 miles is a little excessive unless you turn the truck on in the driveway just to watch the cool screens come on and then turn it off everyday. Newer oils are good for more than 7500 even in stop and go but I wouldn't go that far. After warranty....5w20 or 30 is the thickest I'd go here in FL.
Curious though......anyone else using oil up after 2k post change? I've got about 5500 miles and haven't seen a loss.

The only people I know with blown motors, bad lifters, and spun cranks were running 0W20 oil. I would say running the recommended oil has been a problem. 75W140 gear oil might be a better option, just need so.e testing!

Last edited:
The only people I know with blown motors, bad lifters, and spun cranks were running 0W20 oil. I would say running the recommended oil has been a problem. Gear oil might be a better option!
correct. thats why im doing my non scientific experiment of more frequent oil changes.

Thin 0W20 oil is used in these gas guzzler big motors to achieve a very minimal mileage performance. This means nothing to an individual owner who will see no benefit. However, GM might see enough improvement on the dyno across its fleet to satisfy EPA requirements. So the same motor that used to run fine on 6 quarts of 5W30 now uses 8 quarts of 0W20. The motor and physics hasn't changed, but the laws did.

More frequent oil changes won't make much of a difference. If you want to do it, oil changes are cheap to do yourself. I used to change mine all the time at 2500 miles. Did it help......IDK, but I've never smoked a motor or had one that uses oil until now.

My advisor said the oil consumption spec on this truck is 1 quart per 2000 miles. It used to be 1 quart per 3000 miles. What changed......the thinner oil.

Last edited:
Thin 0W20 oil is used in these gas guzzler big motors to achieve a very minimal mileage performance. This means nothing to an individual owner who will see no benefit. However, GM might see enough improvement on the dyno across its fleet to satisfy EPA requirements. So the same motor that used to run fine on 6 quarts of 5W30 now uses 8 quarts of 0W20. The motor and physics hasn't changed, but the laws did.

More frequent oil changes won't make much of a difference. If you want to do it, oil changes are cheap to do yourself. I used to change mine all the time at 2500 miles. Did it help......IDK, but I've never smoked a motor or had one that uses oil until now.

My advisor said the oil consumption spec on this truck is 1 quart per 2000 miles. It used to be 1 quart per 3000 miles. What changed......the thinner oil.
yeah, i get it but oil changes are cheap and it def cant hurt.

Like security guy stated...stick with the 0w20 while under warranty. 3 oil changes in 5000 miles is a little excessive unless you turn the truck on in the driveway just to watch the cool screens come on and then turn it off everyday. Newer oils are good for more than 7500 even in stop and go but I wouldn't go that far. After warranty....5w20 or 30 is the thickest I'd go here in FL.
Curious though......anyone else using oil up after 2k post change? I've got about 5500 miles and haven't seen a loss.
The only oil I lose is about 1.5 OZ in my catch can every 90 days or so. I have set a reoccurring 90 day reminder on my phone to check the Catch Can.

Most Member Reactions

Back