How is the 24 ZR2 with the LZ0 doing comparatively?

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
On October 30th I picked up the new truck with 7 miles on the ODO, I have about a tank and a half throught it so far, I gotta say, I'm impressed AND surprised.
I think EPA says 19 city, 22 hwy, and 21 combined, when the first tank was showing 1/8th left on the guage (forgot to see what the iDash thought the % was) I had gone 492.9 and the DIC said range of 98 miles (which should be conservative), so possibly 575+ miles to a 24 gallon tank! Hand calc from the pump reciept showed 23.6, DIC showed 24, and I put 21 gallons in it (click off once and then rounded up to nearest whole gallon), and for the final mind blowing indication (for me anyway), is I got 33.1 MPG on a 25 mile stretch, 29.8 on a 50, and 24.6 best for the first 450 mile update on the Economy gauge. I will need a few more tank fulls to be more certain, but so far the model can be pretty darned efficient, and it should get a little better with time.

So far I haven't used any oil that I can see, the stick was an RCH above the top of the lead gauge bulb at the end of the wire from the factory, but I may be down to a BCH above the top of the bulb now (667 miles on it), so maybe just the tiniest amount during breakin.

DEF usage does seem a little higher so far, I went 634 miles before my first regen, but I obviously won't get that far next time now that the DPF is sooted instead of brand new and completely empty like this first run was. Regen took a lot longer, maybe double, what the old LM2 used to regen in (about 20-ish miles instead of 10-ish), but again, we will see if that continues to hold true over time.

In the 21 RST I traded for the new one, I started in the first 500 miles getting a 40.7 for my best 25 mile economy, but somewhere in the 18K-21K range the motor hit a new stride in efficiancy and breakin, my best bumped to 41.5 for some 25 mile stretch before I traded it in. I can't hope to get that out of the ZR2, I am hopeful I can blow the EPA numbers for it out of the water.

Fingers crossed.

And yes, while I do Grandpaw around a bit and like to hypermile to see how good I can get it, other times after she is up to full temp all the way around I am pretty hard in it. Once I get about 1200 miles on her I will hook her up to 10K (flatbed with a Kubota SVL65 on it) and drag her up a steep ass hill and let the tow haul brake glide me back down the steep ass hill to finish seating those rings... just like I did with the RST. In the end (traded with 21150 on the ODO), the RST never lost a drop of oil unless I pushed her real hard (8-11K towing or 90-100+ MPH cruising with 5 people in it), still I never anywhere near the add a quart line in 5500-6K mile oil changes. If I didn't tow anything or haul butt for an oil change, I could never see it drop at all. I am hopeful the LZ0 will breakin and run as nicely.

385550557_1377199723171696_8699248023859867383_n.jpg
398259379_359893423161681_5029699553435740197_n.jpg
398494260_805702774656000_2032195518768910509_n.jpg
399874670_2174312759438336_7138593122061449164_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good write up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I have a 2024 ZR2 with the LZO and have loved it so far. I have about 525 miles on mine and the mileage seems pretty consistent with what you are seeing. Congrats on the new truck.

Better get some air bags if your gonna overload it. Mine squats with 6K. Not sure what this trailer weighed and it was loaded with pea gravel, maybe 8k. Damn near riding on the frame. I'd never get on the road with it.

Attachments

• 20231009_142341.jpg
    20231009_142341.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 57
On October 30th I picked up the new truck with 7 miles on the ODO, I have about a tank and a half throught it so far, I gotta say, I'm impressed AND surprised.
I think EPA says 19 city, 22 hwy, and 21 combined, when the first tank was showing 1/8th left on the guage (forgot to see what the iDash thought the % was) I had gone 492.9 and the DIC said range of 98 miles (which should be conservative), so possibly 575+ miles to a 24 gallon tank! Hand calc from the pump reciept showed 23.6, DIC showed 24, and I put 21 gallons in it (click off once and then rounded up to nearest whole gallon), and for the final mind blowing indication (for me anyway), is I got 33.1 MPG on a 25 mile stretch, 29.8 on a 50, and 24.6 best for the first 450 mile update on the Economy gauge. I will need a few more tank fulls to be more certain, but so far the model can be pretty darned efficient, and it should get a little better with time.

So far I haven't used any oil that I can see, the stick was an RCH above the top of the lead gauge bulb at the end of the wire from the factory, but I may be down to a BCH above the top of the bulb now (667 miles on it), so maybe just the tiniest amount during breakin.

DEF usage does seem a little higher so far, I went 634 miles before my first regen, but I obviously won't get that far next time now that the DPF is sooted instead of brand new and completely empty like this first run was. Regen took a lot longer, maybe double, what the old LM2 used to regen in (about 20-ish miles instead of 10-ish), but again, we will see if that continues to hold true over time.

In the 21 RST I traded for the new one, I started in the first 500 miles getting a 40.7 for my best 25 mile economy, but somewhere in the 18K-21K range the motor hit a new stride in efficiancy and breakin, my best bumped to 41.5 for some 25 mile stretch before I traded it in. I can't hope to get that out of the ZR2, I am hopeful I can blow the EPA numbers for it out of the water.

Fingers crossed.

And yes, while I do Grandpaw around a bit and like to hypermile to see how good I can get it, other times after she is up to full temp all the way around I am pretty hard in it. Once I get about 1200 miles on her I will hook her up to 10K (flatbed with a Kubota SVL65 on it) and drag her up a steep ass hill and let the tow haul brake glide me back down the steep ass hill to finish seating those rings... just like I did with the RST. In the end (traded with 21150 on the ODO), the RST never lost a drop of oil unless I pushed her real hard (8-11K towing or 90-100+ MPH cruising with 5 people in it), still I never anywhere near the add a quart line in 5500-6K mile oil changes. If I didn't tow anything or haul butt for an oil change, I could never see it drop at all. I am hopeful the LZ0 will breakin and run as nicely.

View attachment 8378View attachment 8379View attachment 8380View attachment 8381
can you do the math on my 22' gasser.....im averaging 8.8mpg on the DIC so how far can i go??? thanks and welcome.

Better get some air bags if your gonna overload it. Mine squats with 6K. Not sure what this trailer weighed and it was loaded with pea gravel, maybe 8k. Damn near riding on the frame. I'd never get on the road with it.
Yeah @AXE, I won't be going on the road like that, and I doubt with the ZR2 suspension I will go much above about 7K for this, maybe even just 6K, I just need to get it up to full temp in the engine and trans and then put a good load on it to work the engine and finish seating the rings, it will all be done on private property. Thanks for the insight and advice!

Reactions: AXE
Yeah about 5-6k seems about max without bags. I tow my boat and there's still some squat. Plenty of power, just not the right suspension setup. The suspension is unmatched for daily driving tho.

I'm used to HDs for towing, so never had to worry about it much.

Loving mine so far, I was a bit worried going from the 6.2 to the 3.0 but can honestly say I’ve been very impressed so far with overall drivability, power for what it is, and mileage…the range is a game changer for me personally.

Heading out on an out of state hunting trip this weekend, anxious to see how it does. We ran my cousins zr2 out of gas coming back from WY earlier this year, we didn’t make it to a station in time. The motor and tank size is simply a strategic error on GMs part IMO.

Glad you are enjoying it as well.

I drove a 3.0 actually the other day at Work and gave her the beans. Definitely has 6.2 low end but once you are rolling it becomes a 5.3. 40-60 is nothing like the good old L87.

If you can handle the passing power of the 5.3 with the benefit of more than 300-320 miles of range it’s a great powertrain.

Latest tank of diesel, if the DIC is even close to being correct, has me at 614 miles this tankful, 352 down with (according to the DIC) 262 to go at 43% of fuel left on the gauge. I also find that if I don't mash the pedal and just squeze into it over a few second period, she gets up and goes pretty good, I think it has to do with the turbo spool time.

Latest tank of diesel, if the DIC is even close to being correct, has me at 614 miles this tankful, 352 down with (according to the DIC) 262 to go at 43% of fuel left on the gauge. I also find that if I don't mash the pedal and just squeze into it over a few second period, she gets up and goes pretty good, I think it has to do with the turbo spool time.
Put this on her to really wake her up:

www.ultimate9.co

evcX530 is the one you want.

Great to hear the feedback on 2024 Silverado ZR2 Diesel.

I am planning for trade-in during TG. Let's see how it goes. I do have couple of questions if someone can help answer:

How is the pickup speed on 2024 Silverado 1500 ZR2 Diesel?

If anybody did trade-in their 22 Silverado ZR2, what was the best return value?

I am planning for trade-in during TG. Let's see how it goes. I do have couple of questions if someone can help answer:

happy thanksgiving...good luck💪💪🤘🤘 dont let them beat you up

Good luck. Half ton market is pretty crap right now. I was looking to get a 2500. Talked to a few different dealers. I was told as low as 52k for my 22 ZR2. The absolute highest I was offered was 60k, but that was if I paid MSRP on the 2500 and purchased an extended warranty, lol. So basically about mid 50s.

Good luck. Half ton market is pretty crap right now. I was looking to get a 2500. Talked to a few different dealers. I was told as low as 52k for my 22 ZR2. The absolute highest I was offered was 60k, but that was if I paid MSRP on the 2500 and purchased an extended warranty, lol. So basically about mid 50s.
Thanks for the heads up. Will be trying over weekend and see how it pans out.
Also looks like the 1500 ZR2 w/ V8 MSRP has gone up by $1700.

Most Member Reactions

Back