Exhaust change versus muffler swap

smoky

Reaction score
I swapped the stock muffler for a flowmaster delta 40 series. Exterior sound is great. However, cab noise is sometimes overpowering at 1500-1800 rpms, especially if driving with cruise control. Thinking about a total exhaust change (AWE, Corsa, Borla, etc). Questions are....First, will the total exhaust fix the drone/noise inside the cab. Second, what does the aftermarket exhaust provide over standard exhaust that came on the truck other than sound and/or drone control? Also, the flowmaster "cuts out" when the throttle is let off (especially at low speeds), actually sounds like the truck isnt running. Does aftermarket exhausts do that as well?

Last edited:
I swapped the stock muffler for a flowmaster delta 40 series. Exterior sound is great. However, cab noise is sometimes overpowering at 1500-1800 rpms, especially if driving with cruise control. Thinking about a total exhaust change (AWE, Corsa, Borla, etc). Questions are....First, will the total exhaust fix the drone/noise inside the cab. Second, what does the aftermarket exhaust provide over standard exhaust that came on the truck other than sound and/or drone control? Also, the flowmaster "cuts out" when the throttle is let off (especially at low speeds), actually sounds like the truck isnt running. Does aftermarket exhausts do that as well?
I had a Borla cat - back and it did not drone. Mine was the "S" type, and at that time they didn't show a touring system for the ZR2. I liked the sound of it. The ATTAK is a lot more radical sounding IMO.

I had a Hemi Wrangler that I built in 2014 and I had a Flow master "50" series system on it and it was great, with no drone. That droning is what drives people away from a performance exhaust if you like to drive the vehicle on a daily basis. I know on the Jeep I made sure the the exits were behind the body so the sound waves would escape. I would go nuts on a system that droned, since I own one vehicle for all my driving.

Reactions: AXE
ZR2NYC has some good posts about his Borla S-type and Touring exhaust mods.

SecurityGuy just put in an S-type muffler on stock exhaust and it works well and low cost.

I just installed the Magnaflow 19534 last night. Nice low rumble and no drone. Less than $600 with additional 20% discount at hottexhaust.com
IMG_0375.png

I have the Borla S-Type on my truck. There is no drone, but cold start is shockingly loud.

I currently have a Dynomax muffler in place of the Borla muffler which solved the cold start issue but created another issue with drone around the same RPMs you mentioned. I will be changing back to the original Borla muffler.

I just installed the Magnaflow 19534 last night. Nice low rumble and no drone. Less than $600 with additional 20% discount at hottexhaust.comView attachment 6363
That looks a nice clean setup with a simple design. Can you post a video clip of start up and idle and maybe a drive by?

I have the Borla S-Type on my truck. There is no drone, but cold start is shockingly loud.

I currently have a Dynomax muffler in place of the Borla muffler which solved the cold start issue but created another issue with drone around the same RPMs you mentioned. I will be changing back to the original Borla muffler.
i agree 100% sounds awesome driving but "S" type too loud on startup. if i didnt have neighbors or left for work at 5am, i would have kept "S".

good for you ..glad you got it done!!
Yeah, after hearing it light up, I should have done it on day 3. Really fun driving this truck in manual with the paddles. I doubt I'll see 10 mpg again.....LOL

Can you see my separate post about exhaust with video/sound clips? Doesn't show up under "new posts".

Good. I was wondering if those video clips we're to big and had the post held up.
your truck is ass end next garage with a startup.
Good. I was wondering if those video clips we're to big and had the post held up.
looks like your truck is ass end to garage with nice startup. how much does it settle down after startup? sounds very healthy.

Yeah it really isn't loud at all at start up and barely above stock when idling. Listen to it on some good speakers with decent bass and it's a pretty good representation of actual.

This was start up/idle on my meter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_101452_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_101452_Sound Meter.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 39
Anyone install the Atak by Borlas?? I just ordered one to be put on my new bison.

Most Member Reactions

Back