Borla Atak- Best Setup

859ZR2

Reaction score
I ordered a Borla Atak muffler and I have some questions. This topic has come up a lot on this forum but the information is all over the place. Accepting that the Atak is going to be louder at all ranges, what is the best configuration for preventing drone? Some people have said it has zero drone, others say the drone is horrible. If we have the same trucks, I would expect the same results. I understand that cab noise is subjective but if two identical trucks have the same exhaust configuration, they should sound the same unless you are doing something else to change the system, such as driving in manual mode.

In order to minimize drone, should I,
1. Keep the flapper valve or delete?
2. Keep factory resonators or delete?
3. How does DFM factor in to this? Do you have to drive in manual mode all the time or does it sound like shit when you drop cylinders?
Any other thoughts or input?

If you just bought the Attack muffler and not the cat back system designed for our trucks; you will have drone, no matter what you do. The mufflers designed for our trucks in the cat back systems are different. If you look down the center of the muffler there is a round cutout that kind of acts like a Helmholtz resonator to eliminate drone. I even removed the resonator behind the muffler and installed a straight pipe, and I still have ZERO drone.
The first pic is the rear resonator I removed and the 2nd is the hole I was talking about. Both the muffler and the resonator have them. I don't believe the crate Attack muffler will have it.

Attachments

• 20230518_100958.jpg
    20230518_100958.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230518_101153.jpg
    20230518_101153.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 42
If you just bought the Attack muffler and not the cat back system designed for our trucks; you will have drone, no matter what you do. The mufflers designed for our trucks in the cat back systems are different. If you look down the center of the muffler there is a round cutout that kind of acts like a Helmholtz resonator to eliminate drone. I even removed the resonator behind the muffler and installed a straight pipe, and I still have ZERO drone.
The first pic is the rear resonator I removed and the 2nd is the hole I was talking about. Both the muffler and the resonator have them. I don't believe the crate Attack muffler will have it.
I looked into the Helmholtz resonator as a solution for drone that I experienced in my Trail Boss. After checking out Borla's site, thanks for throwing the link up, I think the full system is the way to go. How does the full system do with DFM in terms of tone change, whistling, etc.?

You hear some slight helicopter noise, but it's not obnoxious at all. You barely notice it. Check other retailers for a better price. You should be able to find it for around 1,200 bucks.

You hear some slight helicopter noise, but it's not obnoxious at all. You barely notice it. Check other retailers for a better price. You should be able to find it for around 1,200 bucks.
i can tell you from experience, my S type was loud and no drone. without a res using Atak, not sure.

Reactions: AXE
I ordered a Borla Atak muffler and I have some questions. This topic has come up a lot on this forum but the information is all over the place. Accepting that the Atak is going to be louder at all ranges, what is the best configuration for preventing drone? Some people have said it has zero drone, others say the drone is horrible. If we have the same trucks, I would expect the same results. I understand that cab noise is subjective but if two identical trucks have the same exhaust configuration, they should sound the same unless you are doing something else to change the system, such as driving in manual mode.

In order to minimize drone, should I,
1. Keep the flapper valve or delete?
2. Keep factory resonators or delete?
3. How does DFM factor in to this? Do you have to drive in manual mode all the time or does it sound like shit when you drop cylinders?
Any other thoughts or input?
Do NOT remove the OEM resonators. The flapper won't matter at all.

Granted sound is very subjective. I have the Borla Atak muffler only on my ZR2 with factory resonators still in stalled, but flapper removed. I do get slight droning and definitely get the gurgling when the ECM shuts down cylinders. When you get on it though, it is sweet sounding. If I did it all over again, I would look at touring or S type.

Granted sound is very subjective. I have the Borla Atak muffler only on my ZR2 with factory resonators still in stalled, but flapper removed. I do get slight droning and definitely get the gurgling when the ECM shuts down cylinders. When you get on it though, it is sweet sounding. If I did it all over again, I would look at touring or S type.
i have a almost new S type with head pipe. you can have it. where are you located? not sure if i could ship it. it took me some trial and error but ended up with touring.

For anybody looking to install the Borla Atak or seeking input, I had it installed on Friday, leaving resonators and removing flapper valve. Exhaust is loud, not much drone especially after 80mph. There is some drone if you are going up hill on cruise control at 70mph. The burbling and gurgling is noticeable when DFM activates/deactivates.

For anybody looking to install the Borla Atak or seeking input, I had it installed on Friday, leaving resonators and removing flapper valve. Exhaust is loud, not much drone especially after 80mph. There is some drone if you are going up hill on cruise control at 70mph. The burbling and gurgling is noticeable when DFM activates/deactivates.
sound on startup?? how is it?

sound on startup?? how is it?
It's loud but it quiets down pretty quickly. Actually, when they installed it, I was thinking ,that's it? Warm starts are mellow, cold starts are loud. Again, it mellows out pretty quickly. It sounds amazing cruising around surface streets and when you get on it while driving on the highway.

It's loud but it quiets down pretty quickly. Actually, when they installed it, I was thinking ,that's it? Warm starts are mellow, cold starts are loud. Again, it mellows out pretty quickly. It sounds amazing cruising around surface streets and when you get on it while driving on the highway.
wow!!! i ended up with Touring muffler, swapping out "S" type from the GM accessory system. your description sounds exactly how i hear mine.... just goes to show how subjective sound is. thanks.

I probably would have preferred the touring muffler if I am being honest. I like how the Atak sounds but probably louder than ideal for my taste. How do you like the touring?

I have the S-Type and I am very pleased with start-up and when I get on it. My neighbors always comment on how awesome my truck sounds. Total cost was $350 installed for the S-Type crate muffler.

I probably would have preferred the touring muffler if I am being honest. I like how the Atak sounds but probably louder than ideal for my taste. How do you like the touring?
i like the Touring. it is exactly one step up from stale stock exhaust. the "S" type sounded like an m80 goin off and at 5am every morning not good for neighbor relations. like you, i gas to pass and it sounds really throaty while idle is smooth. zero drone. you may like the S. i have my old set up. head pipe, muffler and resinator. you can have it np. are you close to northeast?

I have the S-Type and I am very pleased with start-up and when I get on it. My neighbors always comment on how awesome my truck sounds. Total cost was $350 installed for the S-Type crate muffler.
was that just cut in muffler and clamp to stock system?

was that just cut in muffler and clamp to stock system?
Cut...install and weld in place to the stock system. No reason to spend $1500-$2000 on the exhaust when it's perfectly fine with just a muffler swap. OEM resonators left in place and flapper valve was removed.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back