Muffler Delete / Drone?

859ZR2

Reaction score
I previously had a 2020 Trail Boss 5.3. I removed the flapper valve and the resonators and added a Flowmaster Exhaust. The drone was terrible at 1500-1700 RPMs, or 70-80mph. Has anyone removed their muffler, left the resonators and flapper in place that can speak to the exhaust drone?

Used the Borla muffler swap kit. I left the resonators and valve in place.
Sounds great. But the drone is pretty bad around that same speed. I don't think I would do it again.
My biggest annoyance is the transmission shift points, downshifting and coasting it does. I have only had diesels in the past 10 years, coming back to a gas truck I didn't think about how that would affect the sound. The inconsistency of the exhaust note is distracting

Reactions: AXE
I think, I may just stay stock. It sounded great at startup and when on the gas but cruising was unbearable.

Sounds great. But the drone is pretty bad around that same speed. I don't think I would do it again.
My biggest annoyance is the transmission shift points, downshifting and coasting it does. I have only had diesels in the past 10 years, coming back to a gas truck I didn't think about how that would affect the sound. The inconsistency of the exhaust note is distracting
I did the borla ATAK crate muffler. Removed the flapper but left the resonators. It sounds incredible. No drone and all smiles

I previously had a 2020 Trail Boss 5.3. I removed the flapper valve and the resonators and added a Flowmaster Exhaust. The drone was terrible at 1500-1700 RPMs, or 70-80mph. Has anyone removed their muffler, left the resonators and flapper in place that can speak to the exhaust drone?
I know exactly where you are coming from. I did the same thing with my 5.3 and 6.2 trail bosses I had in the past. The muffler only swaps sounded great, but the drone was horrendous! I thought by leaving the factory resonators in on the 6.2 would reduce it, but they didn't do a thing. It was so bad I went our and bought the borla touring cat back for the 6.2. It totally eliminated the drone and sounded good, but still too tame for my liking. When I bought my ZR2 I ordered the Borla S-type and I must say it is perfect. Absolutely zero drone, and a really nice growel to the exhaust note. Never once have I got a complaint from my wife or my 3 kids on it being to loud or annoying. It has a loud cold start for sure, but after 30 seconds it calms right down. It's well worth the extra $ compared to the muffler swap. That drone is enough to make you never even want to drive your truck! It's really that bad.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I did the same thing with my 5.3 and 6.2 trail bosses I had in the past. The muffler only swaps sounded great, but the drone was horrendous! I thought by leaving the factory resonators in on the 6.2 would reduce it, but they didn't do a thing. It was so bad I went our and bought the borla touring cat back for the 6.2. It totally eliminated the drone and sounded good, but still too tame for my liking. When I bought my ZR2 I ordered the Borla S-type and I must say it is perfect. Absolutely zero drone, and a really nice growel to the exhaust note. Never once have I got a complaint from my wife or my 3 kids on it being to loud or annoying. It has a loud cold start for sure, but after 30 seconds it calms right down. It's well worth the extra $ compared to the muffler swap. That drone is enough to make you never even want to drive your truck! It's really that bad.
I started with a super 10 on my 5.3. It was miserable at highway speeds. I then bought a pulsar lt thinking that i could adjust the throttle and keep it out of the rpm drone range and disable DFM, no luck. I then switched to the flowfx and it was much better but still too much drone.
Is this the one that you have? https://www.americantrucks.com/borl...ype-dual-exhaust-system-rear-exit-140773.html

I did muffler delete only and left the resonators and flapper. Yes there is drone at higher speeds but I never did it to my other truck to be able to compare it to. Its not unbearable to me but I also have the radio turned up most of the time

I started with a super 10 on my 5.3. It was miserable at highway speeds. I then bought a pulsar lt thinking that i could adjust the throttle and keep it out of the rpm drone range and disable DFM, no luck. I then switched to the flowfx and it was much better but still too much drone.
Is this the one that you have? https://www.americantrucks.com/borl...ype-dual-exhaust-system-rear-exit-140773.html
Thats the one. I even removed the resonator behind the muffler to make it a little louder. Just bought a 3.5 in section of stainless tubing and replaced it. Still no drone!

my borla touring system is spot on. imo perfect step up from dull anemic stock setup.

I removed the muffler and the flap, just left the resonators and I love it. It’s awesome in town and on the highway it’s not bad if you stay at a steady speed. If you’re having to speed up and slow down between 65-75 it will drone a little but not obnoxious. If I had to go back I would do the exact same thing. Just my two cents.

Has anyone tried the delete with the AFM disabled?

No one makes a device yet for the refreshed trucks to disable the DFM. There is a good thread about it. Many of us are waiting for something like a Pulsar in order to do this delete. AFM was in the older trucks.
I meant to say DFM. Doesn’t the L9 hack keep it from going into 4cyl mode?

Yes. I also use tow haul mode a lot too. I thought you meant to get rid of that crap permanently. I would love to!!
I’ve deleted and had new corner exit tailpipes installed and I swear the drone is nearly gone in L9

Yes. I also use tow haul mode a lot too. I thought you meant to get rid of that crap permanently. I would love to!!
i thought even you lose DFM we still have faulty lifters. until they change the defective design of the lifter, its hit or miss.

Late to the message thread but I just deleted the muffler on my 23 ZR2 based on this thread and love the sound. No drone at all (left flapper and resonators as well).

I’ve installed cat back systems on 2 trucks and a newer camaro (borla atak) and all sound similar to the muffler delete. Yes the Camaro sounded amazing but on the trucks I don’t see a big difference.

Has anyone tried the delete with the AFM disabled?
Replaced the muffler with a crate Borla ATAK, deleted the flapper, and left the stock resonators. In L9 at highway speeds, there is a serious drone around 1500 RPM. Very annoying especially for anyone in the back seat, and conversation between the front and rear is a challenge. I love the sound, but the drone is an issue on highway excursions. I am currently searching for a solution to the drone.

Most Member Reactions

Back