Exhaust mods for 6.6L

I will tell you that the frankenf**k catback I’ve created is right between an S type and a Touring system. “Much better” was the all around consensus.

Could it be louder? Absolutely. But the obnoxious 120db startup is gone and the tone is back.
i loved everything about the "S" type except startup. it was my deal breaker. zero drone and downshifts were sweet sounding. gimme more details on the frankenf*#k.....

Reactions: AXE
If you listen to the sound clips with a decent sound system with some bass (headphones) they sound close to reality. Even listening to them on the trucks sound system makes them sound good. Phones have crappy speakers.

Here's a muffler delete, sound great, but loudish. Sort of wish I would have ran this on my 6.2 for a while. Overall, I wanted it more tame for daily driving so Magnaflow was a good middle of the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kel
It would have been interesting if Corsa kept the factory resonators and just did a mid pipe replacement of the can.

The Magnaflow comes with its own resonator, but also retains the stock resonators. I wasn't sure what that was all about, but it seems to work.
Corsa does make a “pro series” option. Which would do exactly that.
i loved everything about the "S" type except startup. it was my deal breaker. zero drone and downshifts were sweet sounding. gimme more details on the frankenf*#k.....
It’s the Corsa Sport Catback with one of the “Pro Series” clamp in resonators. The bigger one. I actually have the little baby one in my garage as I bought both and was undecided.

Resonators tend to break in over time and increase in volume as the packing material… packs. and gets coated in carbon.

The end result is a system that is substantially quieter then an S Type. Start ups are much more sane but it’s not as reserved as a Touring system.

If you roll the windows down and nail it, it sounds good. It’s a nice balance to me. As you increase the volume of the exhaust on these trucks they get progressively more raspy.

I can’t stress the Tone enough, I could have something ear shattering loud as long as it sounds good. Pure volume and no tone is just noise.

I know for sure with the “Stock” Corsa system the neighborhood would quickly get irritated at the crack of dawn.

I will also add that most of these “start up sound” issues with these trucks could be fixed in a tune. For whatever reason the factory programming just hammers them with fuel on start up.

It’s the Corsa Sport Catback with one of the “Pro Series” clamp in resonators. The bigger one. I actually have the little baby one in my garage as I bought both and was undecided.

Resonators tend to break in over time and increase in volume as the packing material… packs. and gets coated in carbon.

The end result is a system that is substantially quieter then an S Type. Start ups are much more sane but it’s not as reserved as a Touring system.

If you roll the windows down and nail it, it sounds good. It’s a nice balance to me. As you increase the volume of the exhaust on these trucks they get progressively more raspy.

I can’t stress the Tone enough, I could have something ear shattering loud as long as it sounds good. Pure volume and no tone is just noise.

I know for sure with the “Stock” Corsa system the neighborhood would quickly get irritated at the crack of dawn.
Yeah, gotta have a happy medium. There's a couple guys with Camaros in my hood with some racy exhausts. One sound like a Corsa, but the other might be straight piped or right off the headers. I can hear it a 1/4 mile away like it's 100 feet. Very anti social. I'd only run something like that on a track.

I run exhausts on my motorcycles that'll hit 105 ish db. That's about as loud as I like. One of the tracks I ran was close to edge of development and had to be under 100, db so I fabbed up some inserts for muffler outlet pipes. It worked well and got me right there with little affect on performance. That exhaust on a 2 valve Ducati L is the best sound ever, so you gotta free it up.

All these sound great, but for a daily driver, the Vibrant Street Flow is really nice. Sounds similar to my Magnaflow.

Can't beat that straight pipe tho!

This guy does a lot of great videos of his installs.

all good info. thanks Wu.

Thanks for the comments and videos.

As far as start ups go, my guess is gm dumps fuel similar to the the same reason when a carburetor utilized the choke (less air in this case but net result was lower air/fuel mixture).

Nowadays you can do it with the fuel side since we can control the injector timing and duration by program. Once the engine warms up, the air/fuel ratio is increased.

It doesn't seem like to me the 6.6L revs up on start up like my 6.2 did. My 6.2 would have a high idle for 20-30 seconds on start up. Especially when cold. This was a cold start with the magnaflow on the 6.6L.

Thanks for the comments and videos.

As far as start ups go, my guess is gm dumps fuel similar to the the same reason when a carburetor utilized the choke (less air in this case but net result was lower air/fuel mixture).

Nowadays you can do it with the fuel side since we can control the injector timing and duration by program. Once the engine warms up, the air/fuel ratio is increased.
I think it's
It doesn't seem like to me the 6.6L revs up on start up like my 6.2 did. My 6.2 would have a high idle for 20-30 seconds on start up. Especially when cold. This was a cold start with the magnaflow on the 6.6L.
Sounds similar to my Magnaflow. I think it's sporty, but not racy.

Most Member Reactions

Back