Extended Warranty Options

I pulled the trigger on a warranty through Adam DuMoulin at Knapp. Prices are going up by a percentage on April 9th. It is the GM warranty so honored by all dealerships in US and CA. You will pay a minor surcharge if your truck is lifted or with aftermarket wheels/tires. I decided I’ll run this POS until end of warranty then dump it and start over. No more worrying about the engine or tranny. I do hope GM comes out on the losing end and I suspect they will. I was talking to a reputable transmission shop recently (in business for 46 years) about whether or not to change the transmission fluid in my ‘04 F-150 with 196K miles. He said I’ll never see that many miles on my 2023 Silverado transmission as the 10-speeds have been failing around 70k to 80k miles, not all but enough to take notice.

Not sure I'm buying this comment about the 10-speed.
Time will be the telling factor. I never used to buy extended warranties but, I'm afraid not to these days. I got most of my money back from the F-150 since I didn't need the warranty. There's probably a few guys on here that use their trucks for business / towing applications that will put this 10 speed to the test!

Time will be the telling factor. I never used to buy extended warranties but, I'm afraid not to these days. I got most of my money back from the F-150 since I didn't need the warranty. There's probably a few guys on here that use their trucks for business / towing applications that will put this 10 speed to the test!
I like to think I'm giving mine a good test. Not abusing it, but running through the gears in manual, towing, offroad, commuting, cross country, climbing, trails, etc. Mine has been smooth as silk and it's probably the most impressive tranny I've used. I'm not a high mileage guy, so not sure I'll be the best guage in 5 years.

I would make sure and do the tranny service at 25k. I'm considering doing one at 15k, just to get a look at it. The crossover pipe on the exhaust sits right below the pan. It has to have a lot of heat soak.

With the ten speeds its got the same issue with the torque converters as the 6 speed and the fluid gets dirty quick. With the 4l60e and 4l80e they only lock up the torque converter in overdrive. Meanwhile now my Allison 10L1000 it will lock up in first over 15 mph all for efficiency and fuel economy. I am hoping my Allison torque converter holds up better. The original non upgraded thermostats were sticking on all 6 , 8, and 10 speeds causing transmissions to overheat and blow up. Happened to my dads 2018 Silverado, and two of my buddy's trucks at 36k miles, with the recent one being a 2022 2500 6.6 6l90e truck too. Will say my new Allison with the thermostat is upgraded and runs way cooler though. Another aspect of these transmission issues is that GM even tells me with my Allison its a lifetime fluid, but in the owners manual severe service says fluid and filter every 36k.... My service advisor and I already are planning on doing the severe service even if GM might not approve it as Ally will and are as of now. When it also comes to extended warranties as I ended up getting a 96 month/84k mile warranty. Costed me 6 grand, went on a 0% apr payment plan too. Only 250 a month for two years. Ironically in California they don't offer a factory GM extended warranty, as none in my area and upnorth do. What I ended up getting as the dealer Tracy Chevrolet wanted to scam me into the Fidelity insurance scam and didnt want to sell me a facotry extended warranty. Fidelity is not a warranty its insurance, so they can deny anything for any reason. I ended up buying to buy Ally's major guard coverage though my local dealership. Its a third party service plan that works with GM. They are the ones who bought out GMAC. So I have little issues there. Whats nice too my warranty extends over to service, 0$ for diagnosis, rentals, tows, surcharges, ect. Drop the keys off have them fix something under both warranties and pay nothing anwhere in the US. Can extend it down the road too as long you dont let it end I am told. Will also be way more expenisve for me to extend it than let it expire, but all depends on how the truck is in years. Ally SPP is ironically what Hendick chevrolet dealers like to use too over Gm financial use too. So really theres two factory extended warranties out ther GM financial or Ally even if its thrid party onwed. All really depends on your sate laws. GM financial wants to make profit off of these on top of the warranties, but it's illegal in california to sell a warranty or service plan with intrest.... So GM financial doesnt offer it in Cali, but they will fix your car in cali if you live and bought their plan out of state lol.

When it also comes to extended warranties as I ended up getting a 96 month/84k mile warranty. Costed me 6 grand, went on a 0% apr payment plan too. Only 250 a month for two years.
Are you out of your mind??? $6K for a 96/84??? Did you call Knapp and get their price? Your price seems to be about $4K too high based on what I was quoted by Knapp for a 2500HD unless something drastically changed. If you have a friend outside of CA, you could have used their address to buy the GM factory warranty.

Also try James E Black Cadillac. I purchased mine there at a discounted price. Better than paying full sticker for what some of the GM Dealers around the country charge. Some owners have shown their selling Dealer what Knapp and Black are charging and then agree to match the price to keep the warranty sale. Tell me there’s not a markup. Dealers and Finance Managers are not your friend.

Also try James E Black Cadillac. I purchased mine there at a discounted price. Better than paying full sticker for what some of the GM Dealers around the country charge. Some owners have shown their selling Dealer what Knapp and Black are charging and then agree to match the price to keep the warranty sale. Tell me there’s not a markup. Dealers and Finance Managers are not your friend.
100%

@securityguy No I an't. It was worse with other options and tbh 6 grand warranty for a 82k truck ant bad in my state and I am planning on keeping it for a long time. Factory warranty is 6 years/60k powertain and 30/36k bumper to bumper only. Other dealerships in my area with other warranties wanted 8 grand plus like Fidelity wanted lol. Wanted an extended warranty, GM's its not offered in California . Cali is way different then Florida with sate laws. Ant going to call every dealership in the country to save a grand for an extended warranty, dont got time for that on a truck I already spent a shit ton on. Plus my Ally warranty covers things GMs won't. Cali is the oddball with everything involving cars. I am happy with it, you ant that's OK too, you guys arent in Cali. Paid nothing when I just brought in my truck for its first service, and had other work done under warranty. All I am saying there's GM and Ally. You can shop around all you like. You wont get the same quote. Like insurance. Wont be surprised one bit your out of state warraties are cheaper too. And I ant changing it already has been bought over 7 months ago.

@securityguy No I an't. It was worse with other options and tbh 6 grand warranty for a 82k truck ant bad in my state and I am planning on keeping it for a long time. Factory warranty is 6 years/60k powertain and 30/36k bumper to bumper only. Other dealerships in my area with other warranties wanted 8 grand plus like Fidelity wanted lol. Wanted an extended warranty, GM's its not offered in California . Cali is way different then Florida with sate laws. Ant going to call every dealership in the country to save a grand for an extended warranty, dont got time for that on a truck I already spent a shit ton on. Plus my Ally warranty covers things GMs won't. Cali is the oddball with everything involving cars. I am happy with it, you ant that's OK too, you guys arent in Cali. Paid nothing when I just brought in my truck for its first service, and had other work done under warranty. All I am saying there's GM and Ally. You can shop around all you like. You wont get the same quote. Like insurance. Wont be surprised one bit your out of state warraties are cheaper too. And I ant changing it already has been bought over 7 months ago.
CA and FL are the same. The only two states where warranties are regulated like insurance policies. As I asked above...do you have any family outside of CA? If so, you can buy a warranty out of state using a family members address. The GM warranty that you bought would have cost you around $2000 from Knapp.

the tech in the truck was the deal closer for me.

I am.🤡 Tbh a lot of laws between the states are different. What you say is right for your state is not for mine. This is a discussion on extended warranties. Not to bash on what people ended up with. Just saying.
I know what the rules are for your state and I am trying to share with you that you had another far less costly option. I am not "bashing" you...just saying that buying a warranty for $6000 is crazy when other options existed that you, apparently, were unaware of. In the end...it's your money and if your happy...I'm happy :) Enjoy your truck!

I know what the rules are for your state and I am trying to share with you that you had another far less costly option. I am not "bashing" you...just saying that buying a warranty for $6000 is crazy when other options existed that you, apparently, were unaware of. In the end...it's your money and if your happy...I'm happy :) Enjoy your truck!
I was aware of them, just not worth all the hassle of calling every dealership in the country as I previously said. Dont have all the time to do so, running my own shop, and racing racecars. Your going to get a different quote from each one. Definitely a cheaper out of California. Wasn't even on here 7 months ago. Obviously your pissed at me with my decision and not buying your out of state warranty in Florida.... And that what your telling me is not 100% accurate. Cool you got a guy to get you a better deal out of my state and too late. Good luck smogging your Florida federal emissions truck in California too.... Will need a pcm re-flash and more just so its legal. You don't have to do that to drive in Florida just saying.....

Reactions: AXE
I was aware of them, just not worth all the hassle of calling every dealership in the country as I previously said. Dont have all the time to do so, running my own shop, and racing racecars. Your going to get a different quote from each one. Definitely a cheaper out of California. Wasn't even on here 7 months ago. Obviously your pissed at me with my decision and not buying your out of state warranty in Florida.... And that what your telling me is not 100% accurate. Cool you got a guy to get you a better deal out of my state and too late. Good luck smogging your Florida federal emissions truck in California too.... Will need a pcm re-flash and more just so its legal. You don't have to do that to drive in Florida just saying.....
You really don't get it at all. You could have called ONE (1) company...Knapp! I am not affiliated with them at all and they are not in FL. Knapp is who just about everyone on this forum buys their warranties from. They are huge GM dealership in Michigan. Who told you to buy an out of state warranty from FL??? Not me! What does you buying a warranty, or me for that matter, have anything to do with "smogging my FL federal emissions truck in CA"??? Why would I need a PCM reflash? I moved out of CA years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. By the way, I am not pissed at you at all. I just think you made a poor, uneducated decision and you're embarrassed by it now that you know you had alternatives. That's ok👍 I wish you the best racing and that your business is prosperous.

You really don't get it at all. You could have called ONE (1) company...Knapp! I am not affiliated with them at all and they are not in FL. Knapp is who just about everyone on this forum buys their warranties from. They are huge GM dealership in Michigan. Who told you to buy an out of state warranty from FL??? Not me! What does you buying a warranty, or me for that matter, have anything to do with "smogging my FL federal emissions truck in CA"??? Why would I need a PCM reflash? I moved out of CA years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. By the way, I am not pissed at you at all. I just think you made a poor, uneducated decision and you're embarrassed by it now that you know you had alternatives. That's ok👍 I wish you the best racing and that your business is prosperous.
And you still don't get it. The laws between the two states are completely different! And yes at this point your are showing your pissed since you keep on going. I am just telling you how it is. Things have changed since you moved out of Cali. Every dealership is independent now too, why I am running my own shop. The smog example is how its different between the two states. California cars and trucks have a specific tune to pass smog in the state including emissions hardware. Since you say they are the same in Florida and California.... How did you live in Cali and not know that?

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back