Extended warranty- Yes or no and WHY

GO2JAIL

Reaction score
Yes or no and why??????

I have a '24 that I bought in January of this year. As of today, it has 1800 miles on it. I'm quite a shade tree mechanic, but that is for cars with a distributor and carburetor.

I turned down the extended warranty when I bought the truck. I took it in for my first oil change (free) and priced the extended warranty. I have the bumper to bumper for 3Y 30K miles that came with the truck. An 8 Y 80K mile warranty is $3053, which is the Platinum Warranty and it is the only one that includes the info/audio in the coverage. So basically it covers only the extra 50K miles.

I can't decide if I want this or not. I know there are other warranties but the Chevrolet one is probably the most hassle free if that's the one I go with.

I HATE extended warranties. Just like insurance, you have to hope and gamble that something will go wrong for the cost to be justified.

YES OR NO and don't forget the WHY

GO.....

Yes or no and why??????

I have a '24 that I bought in January of this year. As of today, it has 1800 miles on it. I'm quite a shade tree mechanic, but that is for cars with a distributor and carburetor.

I turned down the extended warranty when I bought the truck. I took it in for my first oil change (free) and priced the extended warranty. I have the bumper to bumper for 3Y 30K miles that came with the truck. An 8 Y 80K mile warranty is $3053, which is the Platinum Warranty and it is the only one that includes the info/audio in the coverage. So basically it covers only the extra 50K miles.

I can't decide if I want this or not. I know there are other warranties but the Chevrolet one is probably the most hassle free if that's the one I go with.

I HATE extended warranties. Just like insurance, you have to hope and gamble that something will go wrong for the cost to be justified.

GO.....
Its a personal choice. I used to trade in every 3 to 4 years, so I I never purchased on those vehicles. Other vehicles that I planned on keeping longer I extended and when traveling across country had trip interruption protection etc. who wants to be down 1500 miles from home. If they cant fix it quickly then you get vehicle continue on and they fix and ship home. Medically I cant do what I used to so, I extend now. Plus my extended on hd 2500 covers 1 set of pads, rotors. That alone might be half the price of warranty in future. Think about you personal comfort zone
There really probably is no right or wrong answer. 😀

I plan to keep past factory coverage so I bought a Platinum plan from Knapp way cheaper than what you were quoted and it’s a GM Protection Plan. You can see the prices on Knapp‘s site. It’s a risk decision and we all evaluate that slightly different.

I'd counter offer $2k. My last 2 trucks I bought the extended warranty to 125000 miles. Both times I said not interested and finance guy offered nearly 50% off. On my 2024 2500HD ZR2 I got the Chevy platinum for $2300. A little piece of mind since I drive close to 40,000 miles a year.

I opted for the GMPP Platinum 8yr/80k coverage. My truck already had 6,000 miles on it so I am covered to 86,000 miles. With all of the electronics and the known lifter/crank issues with the 6.2, this gave me a piece of mind. I did the same thing as TimZR2 and declined the coverage from the finance guy at first. The initial offer was for somewhere in the ball park of $5k, I ended up paying $2500.

Yes or no and why??????

GO.....
my brother from another mother. all of the above. i got the platinum too for one reason....too much tech thats gonna be expensive to fix. my plan was and still is to keep my 22 zr2 gasser. i also liked going thru GM. others here have gone thru knapp with no probs. my plan gives me a loaner and no deductable. covers end to end. of course no brake linings or wiper blades. it also covers my dssv. im covered for years and 8yrs 80k miles. msrp was $3500 but i negotiated $2800 without a problem. good luck.

If you are going past the bumper to bumper, HELL YES! Knapp GM sells them very reasonably.
I got quotes from them, and multiple others on my ‘21 AT4 6.2L. The price is close to double Ford’s ESP for similar coverage. That seems absurd to me honestly. My wife has a ‘21 Explorer ST, and I’m getting it on hers. I skipped it on my AT4.

I've only purchased one warranty on a vehicle ever for about 50% of their first offer, so about $1100, it was for a 2007 Tahoe. Never had any mechanical issues and never used the warranty in 6.5 years. I did have several issues with trim problems, especially interior. Several were fixed on original warranty. Then went bad again and extended warranty did not cover "cosmetic" repairs. That was the last time I ever purchased one.

I figure the money I've saved on about 10 vehicles, I could replace a Duramax motor and Allison tranmission and be even money. I don't sweat it and I've owned a few of them for 10 years.

Yes or no and why??????

GO.....
I would say yes. These expensive trucks with all the tech in them is very expensive especially if it's a diesel. We just purchased a 2024 ZR2 HD and a 2023 Tahoe Premier both with diesel engines. The dealership was offering lifetime B2B extended warranty the ZR2 was $5600 and the Tahoe was $5300 which i think was a lot but with almost 200k in new vehicles i think the piece of mind was worth it. I guess something else to consider is do you keep your vehicle for a long time? We keep our vehicles for at least 10-15 years so for us it was worth it IMO.

Yes or no and why??????

GO.....
I have never purchased an extended warranty until I got this truck. I plan to keep it for a long time and it has a lot of electronic bells and whistles that are expensive to replace. For a platinum coverage for that length of time $3000 is a fair price. Make sure it has a $0 deductible no matter where you take it to get repaired ant that it is actually the platinum coverage. Idk what coverage knapp offers for cheaper but I would get more details on what the coverage is.

I went to my local dealer and they don't even sell the GM warranty, it's some third party. WTF??
I went back to where I got the truck and they started out at $3033 for the Platinum warranty. I got them to knock off another $250, then added my $150 credit in GM points. OTD was about $2650 and some change for a 96 mo 80,000 mile warranty.

We'll see.........

I went to my local dealer and they don't even sell the GM warranty, it's some third party. WTF??
I went back to where I got the truck and they started out at $3033 for the Platinum warranty. I got them to knock off another $250, then added my $150 credit in GM points. OTD was about $2650 and some change for a 96 mo 80,000 mile warranty.

We'll see.........
excellent job my friend. way to go imo! great price too.

Most Member Reactions

Back