First Silverado ZR2 Mod?

supersix

Administrator
Founding Member
Reaction score
What will your first modification be on the ZR2?

what-to-do-5bee91.jpg

Last edited:
A Whipple Supercharger :cool:

A Whipple Supercharger :cool:

Well actually window tint will be 1st but the 35' s will be soon after...
How much is the supercharger going to cost? Do you know if it will void the factory warranty?

I had the dealer install my last Whipple SC kit and it was about $10-$12k installed. Supposedly, if the dealer installed the Stage 1 kit then it wouldn't void the warranty. I think Whipple also sells an additional warranty just in case you want some extra assurance. I never had a warranty claim and I've run the dog out of my truck. I'm closing in on 40k hard miles and no issues!

Normally, a spray in bedliner is my first mod, but it looks like that the ZR2 comes with that. Personally I have a guy that does an incredible job and I prefer to have him install a Raptor Liner.

That said, I'll be adding a bed rack to hold my rooftop tent. I'm planning to go with one from XTrusion-Overland
I've already got an iKamper X-Cover RTT to go on top of it. I'll be looking for some sort of inflatable mattress that my son can sleep on, in the back of the cab. I'm basically going to one up my old Raptor setup.

Eventually, I'll make mods to put 35s on it but getting my family back out camping is the priority.

50822347037_d780b90f2e_b.jpg

Normally, a spray in bedliner is my first mod, but it looks like that the ZR2 comes with that. Personally I have a guy that does an incredible job and I prefer to have him install a Raptor Liner.

That said, I'll be adding a bed rack to hold my rooftop tent. I'm planning to go with one from XTrusion-Overland
I've already got an iKamper X-Cover RTT to go on top of it. I'll be looking for some sort of inflatable mattress that my son can sleep on, in the back of the cab. I'm basically going to one up my old Raptor setup.

Eventually, I'll make mods to put 35s on it but getting my family back out camping is the priority.

50822347037_d780b90f2e_b.jpg
Nice setup! What made you leave the Raptor for the ZR2?

Nice setup! What made you leave the Raptor for the ZR2?
I didn't. I sold my Raptor last year for more money than I initially paid for it. I had planned to buy a Gen3 Raptor but that is pretty much impossible. Either all dealer allocations are claimed for 2022 or the ADMs are sooo sky high it isn't worth considering.

Also, Ford raised the MSRP of the Raptor by $3300. It's pretty much the same price as a TRX at this point.

But also, the Chevy's credit, the ZR2 is more geared to be a rock crawler than a desert runner. Front and rear locking diffs will be extremely useful in Colorado.

I didn't. I sold my Raptor last year for more money than I initially paid for it. I had planned to buy a Gen3 Raptor but that is pretty much impossible. Either all dealer allocations are claimed for 2022 or the ADMs are sooo sky high it isn't worth considering.

Also, Ford raised the MSRP of the Raptor by $3300. It's pretty much the same price as a TRX at this point.

But also, the Chevy's credit, the ZR2 is more geared to be a rock crawler than a desert runner. Front and rear locking diffs will be extremely useful in Colorado.
Good point about the locking diffs. Does the high gear ratio in the ZR2 counteract all these other rock-crawler-friendly options though? Seems like 35-inch tires would be a nice addition, but the stock 3.23 gear ratio doesn't seem ideal for this either?

Good point about the locking diffs. Does the high gear ratio in the ZR2 counteract all these other rock-crawler-friendly options though? Seems like 35-inch tires would be a nice addition, but the stock 3.23 gear ratio doesn't seem ideal for this either?

Depends on the transmission as well. My older Wrangler Sport has 3.21 axles. It was a pretty decent rock crawler with that and LSDs instead of lockers. 1st gear on the 8speed auto was enough to keep me moving over some decent challenges. I put 35s on that Jeep but I was never able to get into 8th gear because I never regeared.

Ultimately, I think the ZR2 will be a better than decent crawler. The break over angle will be a bigger hinderance than the axle gear ratios.

AWE has released an anti-drone exhaust for the current gen Silverado. The article below is about the exhaust for the 5.3L but the website has options for the 6.2L.

It appears the ends and exhaust tips are modular so I expect it won’t take much for them to get this ready for the ZR2 as well. If they do this may hit my early mods list.

Lonestar Hawaiian posted a YouTube video, yesterday, showing a switch from Borla to this AWE product on his 5.3L if you want a small preview of the AWE.

AWE has released an anti-drone exhaust for the current gen Silverado. The article below is about the exhaust for the 5.3L but the website has options for the 6.2L.

It appears the ends and exhaust tips are modular so I expect it won’t take much for them to get this ready for the ZR2 as well. If they do this may hit my early mods list.

Lonestar Hawaiian posted a YouTube video, yesterday, showing a switch from Borla to this AWE product on his 5.3L if you want a small preview of the AWE.

Here is the LH YouTube link if you’re interested.

A new bumper with a winch and a rear bumper with recovery points. As for the gear ratio, it is a 10spd with plenty of torque. It won't matter for a 33 to 35 jump. It will just hurt some fuel economy a little. The bigger the tire, the crappier the fuel economy. I own a built JK on 40s.

Is anyone considering a truck cap for the bed? I've been rocking the rollup tonneau cover for the past 15 years and it's definitely seen its better days, but the wife is pushing for something more secure.

Is anyone considering a truck cap for the bed? I've been rocking the rollup tonneau cover for the past 15 years and it's definitely seen its better days, but the wife is pushing for something more secure.
I feel like the hard roll up covers are pretty secure, that's what I am looking at.

I've thought about those, but the hard roll up covers (assuming you mean something like the retractable ones?) take away more bedspace from an already short bed... still willing to consider though. Thanks!

I've thought about those, but the hard roll up covers (assuming you mean something like the retractable ones?) take away more bedspace from an already short bed... still willing to consider though. Thanks!
Something more like this is what I meant, but I see what you mean now.

Most Member Reactions

Back