Front bumper protection

CanZr2

Founding Member
Reaction score
For those that aren't driving on pavement 24-7, has anyone tried to clear wrap their front bumper to protect it from rock chips with any success?

I have a couple rock chips now, it was inevitable. In the past the wrap has helped but doesn't completely stop the chips from happening. Thought maybe there was maybe a better option now I could consider, maybe a new type of wrap. Thats why I was asking for non pavement guys to chime in

I have a couple rock chips now, it was inevitable. In the past the wrap has helped but doesn't completely stop the chips from happening. Thought maybe there was maybe a better option now I could consider, maybe a new type of wrap. Thats why I was asking for non pavement guys to chime in
Xpel is the best solution you'll find, but you are correct, it will not prevent the chips...just helps to minimize them which are caused by smaller stones. The big ones will do damage no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll start looking into that one.

I had clear bra on a 2015 Duramax and 2015 Tahoe for 9 years. No chips and the clear bra was in good condition. Couldn't even tell it was on the black truck, the white Tahoe collected dirt along the edges after a few years the edge always looked like a line of dust.

Duramax seen plenty of offroad travel. We get more rock chips driving in town due to all the construction traffic.

The thickest I have seen the ppf film was 12mm but it looks more like matte black when it's on to me. I personally just x-lined mine. That way I don't have to worry about the chips except for the hood.

The thickest I have seen the ppf film was 12mm but it looks more like matte black when it's on to me. I personally just x-lined mine. That way I don't have to worry about the chips except for the hood.
x-lined or Line-X? Interesting idea and I didn't think about that one.

Last edited:
Paint protection film installers can lazy cut ZR2 specific trim pieces. At the time of the install on mine, the only piece unavailable was the grill. Lucky to have it as the lower silver piece was only damage and it’s not protected from an 18hr road trip.

x-lined or Line-X? Interesting idea and I didn't think about that one.
I call it x-line but the shop told me this
"Gardit provides tough spray-on protection for your truck bed and many other surfaces. This two-component polyurethane/polyurea hybrid coating has been carefully designed for maximum adhesion, hardness, and tear strength.

Gardit permanently bonds to the surface within minutes of being applied, adding long-lasting protection for years to come. It delivers defense in various industries including automotive, agriculture, construction, and signage. No job is too tough for Gardit to handle."

I call it x-line but the shop told me this
"Gardit provides tough spray-on protection for your truck bed and many other surfaces. This two-component polyurethane/polyurea hybrid coating has been carefully designed for maximum adhesion, hardness, and tear strength.

Gardit permanently bonds to the surface within minutes of being applied, adding long-lasting protection for years to come. It delivers defense in various industries including automotive, agriculture, construction, and signage. No job is too tough for Gardit to handle."
Interesting...so a knock-off of Line-X, the top rated product in the market for like 20 years.

modernized version i would call it
Don't think for a second that Line-X has stayed the same for the last 20 years. It is still the premier coating available in the market. I would be interested in looking into what you did as it makes sense to me. Can you post some pics...both close-up and at a distance? Is it a matt finish or gloss finish? Did they give you a choice? Thanks!

My truck is in right now getting the front bumper, skid plate, side bolsters, fenders, and the hood up to the bolster done. He sent me an image of the template coverage for the ZR2. Looks pretty good. He is using a product called STEK. 10 year guarantee on it.

"I don't use xpel, I use a brand called STEK. In my opinion it's a far superior product, it has the added benefit of having a ceramic infused top coat right in the film and absolutely no orange peel in the film that makes for a much better product than xpel. That being said Xpel is still a good brand and I'm not trying to knock it in any way but again in my opinion STEK is the best on the market. "

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back