Fuel door

bougieman69

Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen? Don’t know how it happened. I noticed it when I was getting ready to leave to grab some groceries. Called the dealer, they have never seen or heard of the cover falling off. New part $104 plus paint matching. Total price coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 92
They should have stamped it out of metal like they used to. Using two plastic pieces which appear to be snapped together is incredibly stupid for a door which will get used 1000s of times over life of vehicle. Are plastic passenger doors next? Future gens might be driving plastic cars so they can get the range out of the batteries as they continue to push green solutions.

Has anyone had this happen? Don’t know how it happened. I noticed it when I was getting ready to leave to grab some groceries. Called the dealer, they have never seen or heard of the cover falling off. New part $104 plus paint matching. Total price coming soon.
It happened to me when I went to put gas in the car. Luckily I got it before it fell off. I just snapped it back in, and now I always check to see that it’s secured

I saw a few people having this issue over on the Duramax Forum, you can't just replace the door cover, you have to get the entire door hinge assembly, but being plastic (afaik) it isn't painted and is molded out of plastic of the right color to match the vehicle, but I have been wrong plenty of times before, so maybe I am way off here. I do know one thing, since I saw this happen to others, I open and close my fuel door gently, no flipping it open hard or slamming it shut, that would seem a recipe for failure given the cheap nature of the item.

That’s what I think, someone snatched it off.
I also think this is a good posibility, if someone else broke theirs, they could simply open your door and flex the finger pin in the middle and slide it back and it's gone, easy enough to do. It's also a real shame they don't sell the outer door portion seperately, that is just a money grab since it isn't a permnently affixed part of the assembly and I have seen them crack the length as well as break the locking grooves and fall off. I also find it comical that the dealers will say they "have never seen or heard of the cover falling off", I call BS on that, the internet is a thing, they might want to google something sometime before they decide to blow us off with that line. IMHO

Reactions: AXE
There's an American company called BEM that makes locking caps for trucks without caps on the fill tube. They are called BEM and sell on Amazon. I did not see listing for the 1500 gasser or the 2500HD, but 1500 baby max had a listing. Someone said they were just ramping up production, soaybr it'll be an option later.

I got one of the first sets of the BEM 1500 GM diesel/DEF caps, I like them, even though they are not a traditional locking mechanism, they would take someone some time to get off, especially if they don't know how they work. I think that they will keep anyone like the wife or a friend from mistakenly putting gas in, eco-warriors from sabotaging, and fuel thieves may look elsewhere when they see the caps. They aren't cheap, but are very well made with top quality materials, and give me some peace of mind for the fuel and DEF systems in our diesels. I have talked to them and I know they have HD caps in the works too, if you check their Facebook page you can get an idea of what they are working on and where they are with it by searching for BEM Auto.
BEM 1.jpg
BEM 2.jpg
BEM 3.jpg

Yeah, they are nice. I would buy 3 sets of them for my rigs if they were available.

I'm not as worried as I used to be with less travel. But I used to travel for work frequently and my truck might sit at the airport for several weeks per year.

I had a locking cap on my previous 2500HD, but DEF cap was up under hood so no worry. The 24 2500HD has the DEF and fuel caps together, but opposite position of the 1500. The caps are traditional screw in style, so I could get a regular lock cap for fuel. Would rather have a nice set like BEM.

I am not on Facebook, so it won't allow me to look it up. Might have to get my wife to get some info. I did see someone post on Duramax Forum that they got one for their 2500HD.

Attachments

• 20231227_173420.jpg
    20231227_173420.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 19
Yeah, they are nice. I would buy 3 sets of them for my rigs if they were available.

I'm not as worried as I used to be with less travel. But I used to travel for work frequently and my truck might sit at the airport for several weeks per year.

I had a locking cap on my previous 2500HD, but DEF cap was up under hood so no worry. The 24 2500HD has the DEF and fuel caps together, but opposite position of the 1500. The caps are traditional screw in style, so I could get a regular lock cap for fuel. Would rather have a nice set like BEM.

I am not on Facebook, so it won't allow me to look it up. Might have to get my wife to get some info. I did see someone post on Duramax Forum that they got one for their 2500HD.
This is from my convo with my friend Nicole over at BEM Auto about when 2500/3500 Diesel/DEF caps would be available...

"The sets for the GM 2500s and 3500s will start production in November. Listing on Amazon will probably be early 2024."

I believe they have most of the parts machined so they should be in house soon for the run build and just need to have surface cleanup, anodizing and assembly. Usually it can take up to a month from when Amazon gets them before they get listed and are available. Right now the latest is that they are still on track for a Q1/24 release.

Just FYI

Reactions: AXE
This is from my convo with my friend Nicole over at BEM Auto about when 2500/3500 Diesel/DEF caps would be available...

"The sets for the GM 2500s and 3500s will start production in November. Listing on Amazon will probably be early 2024."

I believe they have most of the parts machined so they should be in house soon for the run build and just need to have surface cleanup, anodizing and assembly. Usually it can take up to a month from when Amazon gets them before they get listed and are available. Right now the latest is that they are still on track for a Q1/24 release.

Just FYI
Excellent! Thanks for the information, I will keep an eye out for them.

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for the information, it will keep an eye out for them.
I can pretty much guarantee that if you give them a call and tell them you want 3 sets, they would ship them to you directly and you would have them long before they were available to the general public on Amazon. (785) 562-2475

So here is the pricing. For the door, $184.50. Paint and labor, $80.47. Total $267.97.

So here is the pricing. For the door, $184.50. Paint and labor, $80.47. Total $267.97.

Not sure if there is after market fuel door for this model, and assuming even if there is one, it may cost about the same.

Paint and labor: Matching spray paint (from OEM) may cost about 20$ but not sure if you may want to take that pain to save about 50 bucks. You can also use PPF similar color or use fancy one.

Most Member Reactions

Back