GM Build Process

What happens if you decide not to buy it? Would you get a deposit back or did they not require any? I’ve personally never ordered so not familiar with the inner workings.

Reactions: AXE
What happens if you decide not to buy it? Would you get a deposit back or did they not require any? I’ve personally never ordered so not familiar with the inner workings.
First time I've ordered too, it was kind of a CF, but once it got confirmed it's been about 62 days. That seemed pretty good to me.

I honestly think your better off negotiating when there is more inventory. I would think in Texas you could find plenty. Phoenix has a pile of trucks, I've always got good deals, but less so last couple years.

They didn't ask for a deposit since I've done a lot of business with them. I suppose they could sell it to whomever they choose too.

There is so many in inventory right now, I don't really get worried about it.

I'm up in ND and the local dealer has a GMC AT4X for a mere $105k. A couple other black ZR2s down the road.

So I got the complimentary +$1000 GM base price and destination price increase. I was supposed to be stickered at $92k and change. I hope I get a free hat!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231020_220204_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231020_220204_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 37
Salesman said my rig docked at the railyard outside of Phoenix. Should be at the dealership soon. I'm only 1500 miles away, so doesn't matter anyway!
So close, yet so far away!

My 1500 3.0 duramax hit the dealers lot late yesterday. Original TPW was this week, so she’s early.

They are doing the post arrival dealer inspection, detail, etc and dropping it at a local tire shop Monday. Having nitto ridge grapplers installed a size up - 285x70r18 - before I take delivery. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the stock tire and size on my 22 gas truck.

Anxious to try the new LZO motor for a bit, hoping I enjoy it and gain better mileage (and range!) on hunting trips. Anxious to hear how you like the 2500 as weve had very similar truck pasts and leverage them similarly, I suspect that’s where i ultimately end up as well.

So close, yet so far away!

My 1500 3.0 duramax hit the dealers lot late yesterday. Original TPW was this week, so she’s early.

They are doing the post arrival dealer inspection, detail, etc and dropping it at a local tire shop Monday. Having nitto ridge grapplers installed a size up - 285x70r18 - before I take delivery. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the stock tire and size on my 22 gas truck.

Anxious to try the new LZO motor for a bit, hoping I enjoy it and gain better mileage (and range!) on hunting trips. Anxious to hear how you like the 2500 as weve had very similar truck pasts and leverage them similarly, I suspect that’s where i ultimately end up as well.
Awesome! I think that 3.0 is a great motor for 1/2 ton and it'll definitely get better mileage. My neighbor had one for a couple years and loved it. Eventually he went back to the 2500HD after he bought another camper. They gave him more than he paid for it when he traded it about 18 months ago.

I'm hoping for better electronics performance. I haven't had as many issues as others, but stil have some quirky stuff happening. Drives me nuts!

Well my dirty ass HD ZR2 is at the dealer and they're prepping it back in service.

Looks like it went through mudhole on the way here from Detroit. I told them not to wash it 'cause I didn't want some flunky running it through a car wash or rubbing that nasty shit with a dirty rag on my fresh black paint. First task will be doing a hand wash myself........how fun!

I went down and did the paperwork tonight. Supposed to be ready to pick up tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_8039.jpg
    IMG_8039.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8043.jpg
    IMG_8043.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 58
By law, a dealer cannot keep a deposit if you change your mind. They will tell you it's "non-refundable", but it is.

Well my dirty ass HD ZR2 is at the dealer and they're prepping it back in service.

Looks like it went through mudhole on the way here from Detroit. I told them not to wash it 'cause I didn't want some flunky running it through a car wash or rubbing that nasty shit with a dirty rag on my fresh black paint. First task will be doing a hand wash myself........how fun!

I went down and did the paperwork tonight. Supposed to be ready to pick up tomorrow.
SWEET my friend! Can't wait for your feedback and first impressions. Mine is still in 3800 status and awaiting shipping.

So it ended up about 65 days from order to delivery to dealer..... not bad.

So now that you bought it, did you end up getting the discount you were hoping to get?
No, I got what I was expecting, not what I wanted. Below average deal for me. I should have ordered 3 of them and then bid them like I wanted to.

They seem to think these are special trucks, but to me there's nothing special about them. They all do the same thing. They are priced $25k more for some extra bits.

I needed to get back into an HD, so I chose this one because I thought it would be as good as my others and hold decent value over time.......we'll see.

Well, as of 10/30/2023 I joined the ranks of the ZR2 owners, one that was in transit I had been watching must have landed on Saturday and they called me on Monday to see if I was still interested. So I went down to the dealership and they offered me about 8.1% off MSRP, so I took it and ran. It's still filthy dirty but I will go up tomorrow to let them pull the running boards off my 21 RST and put on the ZR2 and give it a wash and clean it up, then I will go over it with a fine tooth comb. It certainly is a bigger truck than the RST and I noticed a little squeak out of the brakes as I slowed down to pull in my driveway tonight, but it was after dark so I really can't have a look till the morning. It's good to finally have this off my plate, I have been watching and waiting for one to arrive at a dealership that was as I spec'ed it, and this one just happened to be the first and at my local dealership just 15 minutes up the road. I'm calling this a win right now, hoping the light of day doesn't yield any surprises. When I got in it she had 7 miles on the odo so I don't think anyone abused it much before I got to it. Psyched!

24 ZR2 in Summit White, LZ0, Technology package, Multiflex tailgate, gloss black wheels. On the 14 miles home the trip meter said 26.5 so I can't complain about the drop in mileage from my RST, we will see how DEF consumption is and what she gets over the longer haul.

Last edited:
Well, as of 10/30/2023 I joined the ranks of the ZR2 owners, one that was in transit I had been watching must have landed on Saturday and they called me on Monday to see if I was still interested. So I went down to the dealership and they offered me about 8.1% off MSRP, so I took it and ran. It's still filthy dirty but I will go up tomorrow to let them pull the running boards off my 21 RST and put on the ZR2 and give it a wash and clean it up, then I will go over it with a fine tooth comb. It certainly is a bigger truck than the RST and I noticed a little squeak out of the brakes as I slowed down to pull in my driveway tonight, but it was after dark so I really can't have a look till the morning. It's good to finally have this off my plate, I have been watching and waiting for one to arrive at a dealership that was as I spec'ed it, and this one just happened to be the first and at my local dealership just 15 minutes up the road. I'm calling this a win right now, hoping the light of day doesn't yield any surprises. When I got in it she had 7 miles on the odo so I don't think anyone abused it much before I got to it. Psyched!

24 ZR2 in Summit White, LZ0, Technology package, Multiflex tailgate, gloss black wheels. On the 14 miles home the trip meter said 26.5 so I can't complain about the drop in mileage from my RST, we will see how DEF consumption is and what she gets over the longer haul.
Should be a good rig, I've had great luck with my previous HDs! I'm mostly concerned with electronics which have been sketchy on 1500s.

Last edited:
Can anyone give a good guess on how long these are in transit from Flint to Texas? Got word that mine is built and in transit.

Maybe 2+ weeks. Gotta figure rail time, yard time, transport to dealer time. That's about what it took for mine to get to Arizona and sit around until they get to it. If you go by the rail yard, there's 1000s of vehicles getting unloaded. Must be a CF to track them all.

No, I got what I was expecting, not what I wanted. Below average deal for me. I should have ordered 3 of them and then bid them like I wanted to.

They seem to think these are special trucks, but to me there's nothing special about them. They all do the same thing. They are priced $25k more for some extra bits.

I needed to get back into an HD, so I chose this one because I thought it would be as good as my others and hold decent value over time.......we'll see.
They do think they are special. I've talked to a few dealers that had one available. They want top dollar for them and want to give you bottom dollar for a 1500. From what I've gathered, any HDs are selling pretty quickly. While half ton sales have slowed down a lot. Seems about right just looking at local dealers lots.

I don't think it's ZR2 specific. Just the HDs finally got a much needed interior update. So the 24s are in high demand because a lot of people have probably been waiting for the updated interior. Kind of have to figure after the initial run on them, sales will slow with the current interest rates. Can't be that many cash buyers at what these things cost.

They do think they are special. I've talked to a few dealers that had one available. They want top dollar for them and want to give you bottom dollar for a 1500. From what I've gathered, any HDs are selling pretty quickly. While half ton sales have slowed down a lot. Seems about right just looking at local dealers lots.

I don't think it's ZR2 specific. Just the HDs finally got a much needed interior update. So the 24s are in high demand because a lot of people have probably been waiting for the updated interior. Kind of have to figure after the initial run on them, sales will slow with the current interest rates. Can't be that many cash buyers at what these things cost.
I think if you keep shopping, you'll get a deal that works. You'll have no problem selling your 1500 for a decent price.

In my deal, I wanted another $2k off what I ended up with. In their mind, they thought a great deal was somewhere between MSRP and MSRP +10k. I literally got up and left the dealer the night I went down to do the paperwork. They were chasing me out the door. I didn't return their calls for two days.

On day three I called them back and said I wanted a different manager working the deal. I said I'm bringing a cashiers check for the exact amount that splits the additional $2k difference we were off. If it doesn't work, you can sell it to someone else.

I came in and they had my guy Karam there who did my other deals. I said Karam this is all I got. I leave it here or I leave it in the bank. If I leave it here it'll be worth -$15k in a year. If I take it back to the bank it'll be worth +5k next year. He knew I wasn't hearing anymore bullshit and shook my hand and that was that.

It was an OK deal, but nothing to jump up and down about. If it holds value like the others I'll be happy.

I think if you keep shopping, you'll get a deal that works. You'll have no problem selling your 1500 for a decent price.

In my deal, I wanted another $2k off what I ended up with. In their mind, they thought a great deal was somewhere between MSRP and MSRP +10k. I literally got up and left the dealer the night I went down to do the paperwork. They were chasing me out the door. I didn't return their calls for two days.

On day three I called them back and said I wanted a different manager working the deal. I said I'm bringing a cashiers check for the exact amount that splits the additional $2k difference we were off. If it doesn't work, you can sell it to someone else.

I came in and they had my guy Karam there who did my other deals. I said Karam this is all I got. I leave it here or I leave it in the bank. If I leave it here it'll be worth -$15k in a year. If I take it back to the bank it'll be worth +5k next year. He knew I wasn't hearing anymore bullshit and shook my hand and that was that.

It was an OK deal, but nothing to jump up and down about. If it holds value like the others I'll be happy.
I've found a few at MSRP. No way I'd pay over MSRP. But none of them want to give a decent value on trade. By decent I mean they are in the mid to low 50s.

And yeah I found several that had a 5k MA tacked on, lol. And or other fees or protection plans added. It basically feels like covid BS again when it comes to HDs. I kind of expected with the holidays it wouldn't be hard to find a decent deal.

Yep, GM just turned in record profits for Q3. The dealers are building on all their properties. My dealer is building a new 50 bay shop and tearing down the old one for parking at their original location and the new one where I picked up the truck is only about 5 years old and really nice.

I am actually happy for them, I like seeing business thrive. But they act like they can barely stay in business and it's been some pretty sketchy sales practices. I only had 1 of 3 transactions recently that have went smoothly.

My service advisor I've known for 27 years and he still treats me right. They got some good mechanics and work is done right.

I don't have enough customers be flippant with my relationships. I have to work deals with all them or I'd never get a another project. Haven't ever done a project without some negotiating on scope and price and everyone ends up happy.

Last edited:
I already have a login for <mychevy.com> but see no way to generate a chat dialog. Am I in the correct website? I have the VIN for my truck, but not the order #. Can they find the status of my truck order with the VIN or do I need the get the order number?

Most Member Reactions

Back