GM Build Process

AXE

Reaction score
I ordered my first GM truck ever, a 2500 HD ZR2 Bison. I wasnt sure what to expect and it's been a little confusing process. Here is some information I found on the nomenclature used during build process from GM authority and it helps me understand it better.

Allocations – The number of a particular vehicle model a dealer is assigned by GM.

Consensus – The planning and forecasting of vehicles between the dealer and GM. A quantity of vehicles that a dealer requests for a given production period from GM. Based on GM data and constraints they may or may not receive the amount requested.

Constraints – Items that are unavailable for ordering due to plant or supplier issues. This could be a certain option or an entire model of vehicle.

Event code – The status that indicates a certain point in the life cycle of a vechicle.

GM OrderWORKBENCH – The website used for ordering GM vehicles.

Final Allocation by Week Report – This report shows a dealer’s final allocation quantities for the specified production period.

Pass 1 – The preliminary pass of the vehicle order process which looks at only the quantity of preliminary orders that equals the lower of a dealer’s allocation quantity and desired quantity.

PDI – Pre-Delivery Inspection
Preferenced – Order has been sent to one of the GM production management systems

Preliminary order – A vehicle order that has been submitted to GM through the OrderWORKBENCH system. It would have successfully gone through Pass One. These orders have an Event Code of 1100 (Preliminary Order Accepted)

Priority number – Indicates the dealer’s preference for the placement of a preliminary order. The lower the number the higher the priority. A sold order defaults to a priority of 1, stock orders default to a priority of 99. Priority 0 means that the dealer does not want GM to place the order. The dealer can change these numbers as needed.

Sold order – A preliminary order that is placed for a customer

TPP – Target Production Period – The date range used in order to define the effective period for a marketing or allocation constraint. Also the period when a specified number of vehicles is scheduled to be produced, typically a 1-2 week period.

TPW – Target Production Week – The week in which the specified vehicle is expected to be built.

How it all works:
Consensus:
Dealer puts in for requested quantities of different model groups

Dealer allocation quantity changes from “production consensus” to “final allocation” after GM resolves any variances between the approved production volumes and production consensus quantities (needs some verification on the days referenced below)

Final Allocation by Week Report is released mid month on Wednesday

Report shows allocations by week for 2 week timeframe
Allocations are assigned on Thursday each week

Dealers have until the following Tuesday to resolve constraint issues before orders are pulled

Ordering:
Order is configured in GM OrderWORKBENCH

Customer information is assigned to order

Order is checked for constraints

Order number is generated
By default the sold order is given priority number of 1

After consensus and dealer receives allocation they can apply it to an order

If there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If no action is taken the system will pull the lowest priority number order (1-99)

If multiple orders are at the same priority number it will pull the oldest order first (need verification)

As long as there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If there are constraints the dealer would have to either re-configure the order or allow a non-constrained order through

Order is eventually run through Pass 2, 3 and possibly a 4th optional one that can be used and GM may also use

Last edited:
Event Codes

0500 (DEFINITION OF THIS STATUS IS CURRENTLY UNKNOWN)
1000 ORDER ON HOLDER AT DEALERSHIP
1100 ORDER PLACED AT DEALERSHIP / PRELIMINARY ORDER ACCEPTED
1101 ORDER ENTERED INTO THE SYSTEM
1102 ORDER ENTERED VIA WEB
2000 ORDER ACCEPTED BY GM
2001 ORDER GENERATED TO DEALER
2005 ORDER REPLACED BY GM PROSPEC ORDER
2030 ORDER EDITED BY GM
2051 ORDER CHANGED THRU WEB
2500 ORDER PREFERENCED, SENT TO PRODUCTION
3000 ORDER ACCEPTED BY PRODUCTION CONTROL
3100 ORDER AVAILABLE TO SEQUENCE
3300 ORDER SELECTED, SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCITON
3400 ORDER BROADCAST FOR PRODUCTION (LOADED ON ASSEMBLY PLANT COMPUTERS)
3450 IMPORT VEHICLE PRODUCED
3550 IMPORT VEHICLE SHIPPED FROM PORT OF ORIGIN
3575 IMPORT VEHICLE RECEIVED AT PORT OF ENTRY
3800 ORDER PRODUCED, VIN IS AVAILABLE
4000 VEHICLE AVAILABLE TO SHIP
4104 BAILMENT INVOICE
4106 BAILMENT RELEASED
4150 VEHICLE INVOICED
4B00 ORDER BAYED; VEHICLE IS WAITING ON TRANSPORTATION OR PULLED FOR QUALITY CONTROL
4200 ORDER SHIPPED
4300 INTERMEDIATE DELIVERY
4800 RAIL RAMP UNLOAD; VEHICLE AT RAIL ROAD DESTINATION AWAITING TRUCK TRANSPORT TO DEALER
5000 VEHICLE DELIVERED TO DEALER
6000 VEHICLE DELIVERED TO CUSTOMER
9000 ORDER CANCELED

I found out today mine was at Event Code 3300-Order Selected, Scheduled for Production. No specific TPW yet, but some progress and should be ready to roll down the line soon.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230822_210538_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230822_210538_Chrome.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 32
Awesome info, I feel like I need to email this to the dealer who I placed my order through. Because he’s been a complete idiot and I placed my order back in July and the only update he’s given me is that my order was “accepted”.. I’m about to go place an order with another dealer :(

Reactions: AXE
I found out today mine was at Event Code 3300-Order Selected, Scheduled for Production. No specific TPW yet, but some progress and should be ready to roll down the line soon.
When did you place your order? Just curious, wondering how long it took you to get to 3300.

I ordered my first GM truck ever, a 2500 HD ZR2 Bison. I wasnt sure what to expect and it's been a little confusing process. Here is some information I found on the nomenclature used during build process from GM authority and it helps me understand it better.

Allocations – The number of a particular vehicle model a dealer is assigned by GM.

Consensus – The planning and forecasting of vehicles between the dealer and GM. A quantity of vehicles that a dealer requests for a given production period from GM. Based on GM data and constraints they may or may not receive the amount requested.

Constraints – Items that are unavailable for ordering due to plant or supplier issues. This could be a certain option or an entire model of vehicle.

Event code – The status that indicates a certain point in the life cycle of a vechicle.

GM OrderWORKBENCH – The website used for ordering GM vehicles.

Final Allocation by Week Report – This report shows a dealer’s final allocation quantities for the specified production period.

Pass 1 – The preliminary pass of the vehicle order process which looks at only the quantity of preliminary orders that equals the lower of a dealer’s allocation quantity and desired quantity.

PDI – Pre-Delivery Inspection
Preferenced – Order has been sent to one of the GM production management systems

Preliminary order – A vehicle order that has been submitted to GM through the OrderWORKBENCH system. It would have successfully gone through Pass One. These orders have an Event Code of 1100 (Preliminary Order Accepted)

Priority number – Indicates the dealer’s preference for the placement of a preliminary order. The lower the number the higher the priority. A sold order defaults to a priority of 1, stock orders default to a priority of 99. Priority 0 means that the dealer does not want GM to place the order. The dealer can change these numbers as needed.

Sold order – A preliminary order that is placed for a customer

TPP – Target Production Period – The date range used in order to define the effective period for a marketing or allocation constraint. Also the period when a specified number of vehicles is scheduled to be produced, typically a 1-2 week period.

TPW – Target Production Week – The week in which the specified vehicle is expected to be built.

How it all works:
Consensus:
Dealer puts in for requested quantities of different model groups

Dealer allocation quantity changes from “production consensus” to “final allocation” after GM resolves any variances between the approved production volumes and production consensus quantities (needs some verification on the days referenced below)

Final Allocation by Week Report is released mid month on Wednesday

Report shows allocations by week for 2 week timeframe
Allocations are assigned on Thursday each week

Dealers have until the following Tuesday to resolve constraint issues before orders are pulled

Ordering:
Order is configured in GM OrderWORKBENCH

Customer information is assigned to order

Order is checked for constraints

Order number is generated
By default the sold order is given priority number of 1

After consensus and dealer receives allocation they can apply it to an order

If there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If no action is taken the system will pull the lowest priority number order (1-99)

If multiple orders are at the same priority number it will pull the oldest order first (need verification)

As long as there are no constraints it will be preferenced

If there are constraints the dealer would have to either re-configure the order or allow a non-constrained order through

Order is eventually run through Pass 2, 3 and possibly a 4th optional one that can be used and GM may also use
good info.

When did you place your order? Just curious, wondering how long it took you to get to 3300.
End of June and again three times early August. It was a shit show. But got confirmation the order was accepted by GM on August 18. It's gonna be different for everyone cause there are allocations per dealer and priorities within each dealer.

I'm still hearing that transit time are biggest unknown from 3 weeks to 3 months in some reports over last few months.

Awesome info, I feel like I need to email this to the dealer who I placed my order through. Because he’s been a complete idiot and I placed my order back in July and the only update he’s given me is that my order was “accepted”.. I’m about to go place an order with another dealer :(
If it was accepted, you have to be fairly far along. I would confirm. It took me asking many times to get confirmation.

You can go on GM website and use the chat bot with your order number. I didn't get any better information. But they confirmed status.

I’m curious what the looming shutdown might do to all these orders (mine included…last I heard it was TPW of 10/16). I need mine this calendar year but if they pull the strike BS all bets are off and I’m going to back out. $825 million strike fund seems like they could drag it out for a bit. Anyone closer to the know have any insights?

If it was accepted, you have to be fairly far along. I would confirm. It took me asking many times to get confirmation.

You can go on GM website and use the chat bot with your order number. I didn't get any better information. But they confirmed status.
Just found out mine is still 1100. Should I be worried that my dealer is dragging their feet with my order? I placed my order the end of July… I’m not impatient, I just wanna know my stuff is being handled competently

Just found out mine is still 1100. Should I be worried that my dealer is dragging their feet with my order? I placed my order the end of July… I’m not impatient, I just wanna know my stuff is being handled competently
Ask them if they have an allocation and what priority the dealer has assigned to the order. Bigger dealers have bigger allocations. No allocation, no order being accepted by GM. They will also place a higher priority on high margin vehicles cause they make more. I was given priority 5 out of 1-100, by my dealer.

My biggest issue seemed to getting the order placed in the system by dealer. Paperwork shows it was modified three times. I think just bad execution gave me a two week delay. Once the order was placed it went forward quickly over next two weeks.

Last edited:
I think this UAW strike has teeth. If your not in production this week or next, it doesn't look good.

Organized labor has been getting some big wins with airlines, and shipping companies, so now is the time to make hay. SAG writers have Hollywierd in lockdown too.

Looks like my rig went into production. Its now at 3400 ORDER BROADCAST FOR PRODUCTION (LOADED ON ASSEMBLY PLANT COMPUTERS).

Next step would be 3800 ORDER PRODUCED, VIN IS AVAILABLE.

Barring a major strike at more facilities, I'm hopeful this rig will be produced in next few days and in my hands by middle of October.

1000 trucks a day....... no problem! Pretty incredible process when you see the video of the lines working. Seems like a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. Probably shouldn't expect perfection, but it's hard not to when the trucks cost so much!

1000 trucks a day....... no problem! Pretty incredible process when you see the video of the lines working. Seems like a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. Probably shouldn't expect perfection, but it's hard not to when the trucks cost so much!

Steve Elmer does a good job on these videos.

My rig was built and is in transit. Jessi the chat bot couldn't give me an ETA and salesman is MIA again. Hopefully 2 or 3 weeks. Seems like watching the GM inventory for past few weeks and most have been in transit for 3 weeks and a couple delivered.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230927_114006_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230927_114006_Gallery.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 33
My rig was built and is in transit. Jessi the chat bot couldn't give me an ETA and salesman is MIA again. Hopefully 2 or 3 weeks. Seems like watching the GM inventory for past few weeks and most have been in transit for 3 weeks and a couple delivered.
Kind of off topic. How do the interiors of vehicles survive in the extreme heat in Arizona? A friend of mine moved to Vegas a few years ago and he said the dash in his truck warped right away. I imagine 150* interior temp isn't out of the question down there?

I park outside a lot, with some covered/garage parking and I've lived here 30 years with few problems on several vehicles, most kept between 5-10 years. I use those collapsable windshield sun protectors and tint on windows and that keeps temps inside vehicle lower and reduces UV. Have also used dashmats, not currently though. I guess it's a little luck because it is brutal.

The only vehicle I ever had an issue with was a 2007 Tahoe. The interior accessories had a lot of peeling on all buttons, knobs, and door handles. Got replaced under warranty after a few years and started again just as I sold it. Mechanically that was a good rig, but cosmetically it was horrible.

Last edited:
I got a text from my salesman last night and he said my rig would be at the dealer on October 18. If that happens, then it would be exactly 2 months from order accepted to delivery. That seems pretty good to me.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231006_094123_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231006_094123_Messages.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 19
Salesman said my rig docked at the railyard outside of Phoenix. Should be at the dealership soon. I'm only 1500 miles away, so doesn't matter anyway!

Most Member Reactions

Back