GM ordering system confirms upcoming Silverado ZR2 Bison

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.25.06 AM.png

A forum member at Camaro5.com posted a screenshot of GM's dealer ordering system which appears to confirm the existence of an upcoming Silverado ZR2 Bison model. It will likely be similar in concept to the Colorado ZR2 Bison co-developed with American Expedition Vehicles with unique front and rear bumpers aimed at improving approach and departure angles and multiple underbody skid plates.

Spy photos of the suspected Silverado ZR2 Bison have been shared previously: GM-Trucks.com. GM-Trucks.com suspects the Chevrolet Beast concept (now renamed to the Chevrolet Off-Road concept) provided a preview of the front bumper of the ZR2 Bison.

Source

I’m underwhelmed. How about increasing angles with more lift and 35s?
Honestly I don't expect much more other then what was done with the Colorado ZR2. Bison apperence package, skid plates and carry it over and over until the T1 runs out of production.

The leadership isnt at GM for a "Super Truck". I still think its ridiculous that the Z's have 3.23's and not 3.42's/3.73's. These can be plucked right from the parts bin.

Honestly I don't expect much more other then what was done with the Colorado ZR2. Bison apperence package, skid plates and carry it over and over until the T1 runs out of production.

The leadership isnt at GM for a "Super Truck". I still think its ridiculous that the Z's have 3.23's and not 3.42's/3.73's. These can be plucked right from the parts bin.
I wouldn’t classify a truck with 35s as a “Super Truck” but agree better gearing is needed which should go hand in hand with the larger tires. The Tremor comes with a 3.73 and the Rebel has an optional 3.92 so it’s only fitting that Chevy steps up in the near future.

I wouldn’t classify a truck with 35s as a “Super Truck” but agree better gearing is needed which should go hand in hand with the larger tires. The Tremor comes with a 3.73 and the Rebel has an optional 3.92 so it’s only fitting that Chevy steps up in the near future.
35's = super truck wasn't what i meant. I mean an LT4 truck with those 35's.

35's = super truck wasn't what i meant. I mean an LT4 truck with those 35's.
Don't give up hope yet. I'm the person that posted that information on Camaro5/6 and I know that GM is working on more for the Silverado. I can't confirm what I know but if they actually bring what they're working on to market, we will all be very happy.

If they don’t have the leadership for a super truck, why bring a super Escalade? That power plant is coming for the Silverado for sure. Maybe they need to wait for a new platform, though, because it clearly needs legit 35’s at least, and they don’t seem to be able to deliver that with the T1.

I don’t know why they’d need to change the gearing on the current ZR2 with the 33-inch setup though? It’s fast as hell for a pickup truck and delivers decent MPG for a big rig with NA inches. What would they gain by changing it?

I don’t know why they’d need to change the gearing on the current ZR2 with the 33-inch setup though? It’s fast as hell for a pickup truck and delivers decent MPG for a big rig with NA inches. What would they gain by changing it?
Explanation from the web below. When I went to 35s on my Jeep it was very sluggish accelerating from a stop because of the additional weight. Upgrading to a shorter gear vastly improved low range acceleration. The competition offers a 3.73 from factory so that should be what Chevy offers to be competitive. Regearing is expensive and can be a hassle if not done correctly.

When larger tires are installed, you have several things working against you: the diameter of the tire, rotational mass, rolling resistance, and the added weight of the tires. The diameter of your tires directly affects how hard your drivetrain has to work in order to move the vehicle, what you need to keep in mind is the axle is going to be turning your wheels. The axle shafts are just over an inch in diameter, and they have to turn whatever tires are on your Wrangler. This means that with a 30 inch tire you need to apply 30 times more force to the axle in order to turn the wheel. By regearing to a shorter gear, you will increase the amount of force that is being sent to the axle, this allows your Jeep to move the tires with less of a strain on the engine.

Last edited:
I get that it might be necessary with larger tires, I’m just saying stock the gearing feels fine. And yet people complain about it — I’m trying to understand why.

I think I had 4.10 on my old 6.2l Raptor, which was great. But then it had 35’s and I also got like 13 mpg max.

If they don’t have the leadership for a super truck, why bring a super Escalade? That power plant is coming for the Silverado for sure. Maybe they need to wait for a new platform, though, because it clearly needs legit 35’s at least, and they don’t seem to be able to deliver that with the T1.

I would be VERY surprised if they don't bring the updated LT4 to Silverado in some way. It's definitely coming to Tahoe so it only makes sense to do a Silverado. Honestly, the Tahoe and Escalade probably make the least amount of sense for that engine application. Silverado make way more sense due to the competition alone.

For those wondering, the new LT4 gets a power bump from the LT5 blower. That's really the main difference in it vs. the LT4 in the Camaro ZL1.

Most Member Reactions

Back