Heavy Duty Front Springs Option

Kel

Reaction score
This HD front spring option is noted as camper option and I’m curious if anyone has bought a truck yet with these and what the ride quality was like with and without a camper (load). I don’t have a camper but on occasion I may be using this truck (once I order and it’s delivered :) ) for towing a large enclosed car hauler. I have a Dodge dually that is the primary truck for the trailer so only if needed. The option cost is so cheap ($50 if I remember right) it seems like a no brainer.

This HD front spring option is noted as camper option and I’m curious if anyone has bought a truck yet with these and what the ride quality was like with and without a camper (load). I don’t have a camper but on occasion I may be using this truck (once I order and it’s delivered :) ) for towing a large enclosed car hauler. I have a Dodge dually that is the primary truck for the trailer so only if needed. The option cost is so cheap ($50 if I remember right) it seems like a no brainer.
I think that option may be more geared towards installing a cab over camper to add some stiffness to accommodate the weight on the chassis.

Not sure you would see a benefit towing a car hauler. May just stiffen it up too much.

If you add air bags to rear, you should be able to keep the ride level a d evenly distribute weight on both axles to keep from sagging and bouncing. May need to have GM clarify its use.

I've towed quite a bit with travel trailers around 13k and a lifted 2500 tow rig was over 10k. Rolling down the road 23k GCWR. No problem with air bags and front sitting level and planted.

I'll let you know, lol. Looks like I'm probably going to pick one up this weekend that has a package that includes those. It has the snow plow prep/camper package. Includes the 220 amp alternator. Heavy duty front springs and underbody skids to help protect the transfer case. Power feed to accommodate back up and roof emergency lights.

I didn't order the truck. This one just happens to have that package. But I do want the 220amp alternator, so it works out. Heavy duty springs in the front could possibly help when running a EQ hitch. Also if you have plans on a winch bumper. I'm sure they are more intended for a plow or pulling a 5th wheel though.

I'll let you know, lol. Looks like I'm probably going to pick one up this weekend that has a package that includes those. It has the snow plow prep/camper package. Includes the 220 amp alternator. Heavy duty front springs and underbody skids to help protect the transfer case. Power feed to accommodate back up and roof emergency lights.

I didn't order the truck. This one just happens to have that package. But I do want the 220amp alternator, so it works out. Heavy duty springs in the front could possibly help when running a EQ hitch. Also if you have plans on a winch bumper. I'm sure they are more intended for a plow or pulling a 5th wheel though.
I knew you'd have to get one of these HD trucks.....LOL

Thank you. And I have a 38’ gooseneck race car hauler that may get towed on occasion so was wondering about the heavier springs.

8 ball you got me to looking closer at the snow plow package. It’s actually cheaper to chose that package if the plan is to get the front springs and bigger alternator.

Plus they install more skid plates and wiring for emergency lights. Not that i plan to ever put emergency lights on but the rest is nice at an even lower price than I was looking at (heavier springs and bigger alternator).

I need a status on that new rig! We're you able to make it happen?

I need a status on that new rig! We're you able to make it happen?
I did in fact. Lol I just got home a little bit ago. Was about 7.5 hours each way. Plus side is my 2500 is broken in now with 500 miles. To be fair I need to drive a 2500 ZR2 without the package. It definitely is much stiffer than the 1500. But I'd say it's softer/smoother ride than a regular HD. Not sure how much of an impact the stiffer springs makes. The truck did good. I didn't feel like it was to stiff or harsh in the front. If anything I noticed the stiff rear end more than anything.

I'll get a little better feel for it driving around in my normal stomping grounds. Hitting bumps and bridges I'm familiar with lol.

20231209_143330.jpg

8 ball you got me to looking closer at the snow plow package. It’s actually cheaper to chose that package if the plan is to get the front springs and bigger alternator.

Plus they install more skid plates and wiring for emergency lights. Not that i plan to ever put emergency lights on but the rest is nice at an even lower price than I was looking at (heavier springs and bigger alternator).
That was my thinking also. I wanted the 220 amp alternator for sure. The other stuff in the package just seemed like a bonus. This truck also had factory upfitter switches installed. Which I guess is common with that other package. The two packages together were 300 bucks.

That package also has wiring for a reverse light on the back of the cab. If you plan on a rack or even a light bar back there. That could be handy

That was my thinking also. I wanted the 220 amp alternator for sure. The other stuff in the package just seemed like a bonus. This truck also had factory upfitter switches installed. Which I guess is common with that other package. The two packages together were 300 bucks.

That package also has wiring for a reverse light on the back of the cab. If you plan on a rack or even a light bar back there. That could be handy
Thanks. Enjoy the new truck.

I did in fact. Lol I just got home a little bit ago. Was about 7.5 hours each way. Plus side is my 2500 is broken in now with 500 miles. To be fair I need to drive a 2500 ZR2 without the package. It definitely is much stiffer than the 1500. But I'd say it's softer/smoother ride than a regular HD. Not sure how much of an impact the stiffer springs makes. The truck did good. I didn't feel like it was to stiff or harsh in the front. If anything I noticed the stiff rear end more than anything.

I'll get a little better feel for it driving around in my normal stomping grounds. Hitting bumps and bridges I'm familiar with lol.

View attachment 8890
That's awesome! Good looking truck in red. I'm glad you got one. I know you work and play with your truck and this is gonna be a good one for you.

Now that I'm logging a few more miles, I'm even more impressed with ride and handling. Doesn't matter if your offroad or zipping down the highway or steep mountains with curves it handles extremely well and the motor and transmission seem spot on.

Can you get us a picture of that front spring setup?

Can you get us a picture of that front spring setup?
I'm sure I can when I get under it again. Put my steps on this morning so my wife could actually sit in the new truck, lol. I also looked around it a bit and put my bed cover on. But than I spent the rest of the day up until about 20 mins ago enlarging my garage door opening. Chevy's measurements are off slightly on height, lol. Or I guess maybe it's just that package on mine that made the difference. I thought I would have a half an inch clearance. Got home last night during storms here. So I just parked it in my shop. Tried to put it in the house garage today and it would not fit. It was close, but the cab does slope up just slightly in the back. So I ended up taking the siding off the house and making the opening slightly bigger. House is back together and the ZR2 is tucked away in the garage.

These trucks are massive. The size difference compared to the 1500s is huge. Pictures don't really do it justice. My wife is short and she literally couldn't get in it with out the steps. Even with the high clearance steps she struggles. I might end up having to get Amp steps. The bed height is way up there too. Even with the multiflex tailgate getting in and out of the bed a lot will be a bit of a job.

Yep, they sit large! I like it, but it has its drawbacks. Even the step into the bed with the multiflex tailgate deployed is a big one. I'm getting old tho!

Every truck I've lifted my Ol Man would always say "I don't know why you always ruin a good truck"! He's sorta right.....LOL.

The AMP XLs are nice and look like sliders in the stow position. Definitely a little more drop, so first step is easy. I'm still gonna run 37s, so I'll appreciate them more. The regular steps might be fine.

Attachments

• 20231209_083538.jpg
    20231209_083538.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yep, they sit large! I like it, but it has its drawbacks. Even the step into the bed with the multiflex tailgate deployed is a big one. I'm getting old tho!

Every truck I've lifted my Ol Man would always say "I don't know why you always ruin a good truck"! He's sorta right.....LOL.

The AMP XLs are nice and look like sliders in the stow position. Definitely a little more drop, so first step is easy. I'm still gonna run 37s, so I'll appreciate them more. The regular steps might be fine.
Its a love hate on the height. Truck does look good. But the height does make truck stuff harder. Working out of the bed and hauling stuff anyway. I told my wife I'm not even sure I'll put my rack on this one. She looked at me funny and said I thought you loved your rack. I told her, If I do, I guess it will be mostly for looks. I doubt I'd be able to put much up there. lol. I looked at standard HDs and expected the size for the most part. But the extra lift and tires really do make a difference. I'm going to pull it up next to my kids 05 silverado. I'm pretty sure my multiflex step is really close to the height of his actual tailgate.

So my window sticker says I’ve got the 220 amp alternator under standard equipment. I don’t have the plow prep package. Do some of you not have the 220a alternator on the HD ZR2?

So my window sticker says I’ve got the 220 amp alternator under standard equipment. I don’t have the plow prep package. Do some of you not have the 220a alternator on the HD ZR2?
Standard is 170 amp. Atleast it is on the Gas version. Standard is also a single battery. The Duramax version might be different, because as far as I know all the diesels have two batteries. So they might default to the larger alternator.

Its a love hate on the height. Truck does look good. But the height does make truck stuff harder. Working out of the bed and hauling stuff anyway. I told my wife I'm not even sure I'll put my rack on this one. She looked at me funny and said I thought you loved your rack. I told her, If I do, I guess it will be mostly for looks. I doubt I'd be able to put much up there. lol. I looked at standard HDs and expected the size for the most part. But the extra lift and tires really do make a difference. I'm going to pull it up next to my kids 05 silverado. I'm pretty sure my multiflex step is really close to the height of his actual tailgate.
I talked to a guy with a 24 ATX4 the other day. He had an overland rack on the back. It looked good, but definitely high. Side access would be easy, but not top.

Standard is 170 amp. Atleast it is on the Gas version. Standard is also a single battery. The Duramax version might be different, because as far as I know all the diesels have two batteries. So they might default to the larger alternator.
I think thats correct for diesels.

I talked to a guy with a 24 ATX4 the other day. He had an overland rack on the back. It looked good, but definitely high. Side access would be easy, but not top.
Yeah, I'll just have to test it. I use mine for Kayaks, ladders and long boards, ect. I've had everything from steel tubing up there to long trim pieces. It will still work for a long extension ladder or something, But I'm not sure about trying to get the boats up there, lol. At any rate I imagine I'll be less likely to toss something up there now. I imagine more stuff will just be hanging out the back with a flag on it 😅 I had to buy some 12' J channel yesterday to fix the siding after enlarging the door. It just hung out the back because of no rack. But I sorta of thought to myself, even if I had the rack. I probably would have just done the same thing.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back