Heavy Duty Front Springs Option

Based on these heights comments do you feel the multiflex tailgate is a must?
I really like the multiflex tailgate. Both in 1500 and 2500, they are very functional.

The only drawback is they collect a lot of dust, so when you wash it, it seems to leak dust back out after you drive. There's so much plastic shit on this rig, it happens on every corner. The Bison AEV bumpers have a lot of plastic and seams. They are messy.

Here I am transporting my AMP steps to my house with tailgate down and multiflex lip flipped up. Photo is from camera inside truck. Works great.

Attachments

• 20231108_144231.jpg
    20231108_144231.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 37
100%.
Based on these heights comments do you feel the multiflex tailgate is a must?
MY tailgate sits at 43" when it's down. It's the same height as the bar counter in our kitchen. So if you can easily jump on to a hightop table with stuff in your hands, then you might not need it.

Reactions: AXE
100%.

MY tailgate sits at 43" when it's down. It's the same height as the bar counter in our kitchen. So if you can easily jump on to a hightop table with stuff in your hands, then you might not need it.
Haha. Point taken.

I really like the multiflex tailgate. Both in 1500 and 2500, they are very functional.

The only drawback is they collect a lot of dust, so when you wash it, it seems to leak dust back out after you drive. There's so much plastic shit on this rig, it happens on every corner. The Bison AEV bumpers have a lot of plastic and seams. They are messy.

Here I am transporting my AMP steps to my house with tailgate down and multiflex lip flipped up. Photo is from camera inside truck. Works great.
Probably not a good situation for a dark truck. Sounds like it is pretty functional.

100%.

Gonna try it witha 6 pack in each hand!

#holdmybeer

That's awesome! Good looking truck in red. I'm glad you got one. I know you work and play with your truck and this is gonna be a good one for you.

Now that I'm logging a few more miles, I'm even more impressed with ride and handling. Doesn't matter if your offroad or zipping down the highway or steep mountains with curves it handles extremely well and the motor and transmission seem spot on.
I saw on my window sticker that there was snow plow/rv prep package option included on my hd. I haven’t noticed any unusual stiffness in front or ride quality Other than what you described as a well handling vehical.
I do wonder if with the front load adjustments in package is why my truck sits almost perfectly lvl. 1/2 inch front to rear. While others where looking at leveling kits because with about 1 to 2 inch difference? You think this could be the difference?

I saw on my window sticker that there was snow plow/rv prep package option included on my hd. I haven’t noticed any unusual stiffness in front or ride quality Other than what you described as a well handling vehical.
I do wonder if with the front load adjustments in package is why my truck sits almost perfectly lvl. 1/2 inch front to rear. While others where looking at leveling kits because with about 1 to 2 inch difference? You think this could be the difference?
Possibly, they may have added different torsion bars and keys. That would lift it and increase rigidity.

They are all the same height even with the HD front springs. Front is 42.5. I've seen a few posts on it. Diesel and gas seems to be the same height also. I just recently ordered cognito comfort ride front springs. My truck also has the snowplow prep package with the HD torsion bars. I'm going to swap them out for the cognito ones and see how it rides. Mine isn't bad, but I do feel it is over sprung in the front. I also ordered their pitman arm brace Along with a steering stabilizer. I do feel like I get a good bit of bumpsteer. The steering does seem a bit meh to me. Sorta wonders a bit.

I figured between the bars the brace and the stabilizer. Should be worked out, lol.

They are all the same height even with the HD front springs. Front is 42.5. I've seen a few posts on it. Diesel and gas seems to be the same height also. I just recently ordered cognito comfort ride front springs. My truck also has the snowplow prep package with the HD torsion bars. I'm going to swap them out for the cognito ones and see how it rides. Mine isn't bad, but I do feel it is over sprung in the front. I also ordered their pitman arm brace Along with a steering stabilizer. I do feel like I get a good bit of bumpsteer. The steering does seem a bit meh to me. Sorta wonders a bit.

I figured between the bars the brace and the stabilizer. Should be worked out, lol.
Interesting, I feel like mines on rails. I can't seem to get it unsettled. I run up and down some 6% grades with tight curves doing 65 mph heading out hunting towing my sxs and I can't believe how great it feels.

I still want to run 37s, but I feel like I might just screw up the great handling.

Have you had your alignment checked? My 1500 didn't seem quite right after I did my tires and wheels, even though it was within spec. I had them make a couple tweaks anyway and then it drove better.

I've used those Cognito braces on all my lifted trucks. They more than double the life of the idler and pitman arm. Maybe I should add them too.

Not sure how much more weight I have on the front with the Duramax and Bison bumper, but maybe that's the difference.

They are all the same height even with the HD front springs. Front is 42.5. I've seen a few posts on it. Diesel and gas seems to be the same height also. I just recently ordered cognito comfort ride front springs. My truck also has the snowplow prep package with the HD torsion bars. I'm going to swap them out for the cognito ones and see how it rides. Mine isn't bad, but I do feel it is over sprung in the front. I also ordered their pitman arm brace Along with a steering stabilizer. I do feel like I get a good bit of bumpsteer. The steering does seam a bit meh to me. Sorta wonders a bit.

I figured between the bars the brace and the stabilizer. Should be worked out, lol
Interesting, I feel like mines on rails. I can't seem to get it unsettled. I run up and down some 6% grades with tight curves doing 65 mph heading out hunting towing my sxs and I can't believe how great it feels.

I still want to run 37s, but I feel like I might just screw up the great handling.

Have you had your alignment checked? My 1500 didn't seem quite right after I did my tires and wheels, even though it was within spec. I had them make a couple tweaks anyway and then it drove better.

I've used those Cognito braces on all my lifted trucks. They more than double the life of the idler and pitman arm. Maybe I should add them too.

Not sure how much more weight I have on the front with the Duramax and Bison bumper, but maybe that's the difference.
Don't get me wrong mine doesn't drive bad. It feels pretty good in sweeping curves and what not. Also on smooth roads. But on the 2 lane bumpy County roads I'm on often. The steering just feels a little loose. Kind of like I'm sawing at the wheel a decent amount. I'm not really sure exactly what it needs. That's why I got all three, lol. Maybe it's just from the front being over sprung. Maybe it's some flex in the pitman arm brackets. Or it could just be the big 35" load E tires with no stabilizer. I mean typically lifted trucks with 35"s would have a stabilizer and braces added. Technically this is a lifted truck, it's just factory.

Besides I bought a 2 post lift, lol. I've been wanting to try the lighter rate springs since day one. So might as well do the other two upgrades while I'm at it. Any comments or reviews I could find online about all three of these upgrades were 100% positive.

They are all the same height even with the HD front springs. Front is 42.5. I've seen a few posts on it. Diesel and gas seems to be the same height also. I just recently ordered cognito comfort ride front springs. My truck also has the snowplow prep package with the HD torsion bars. I'm going to swap them out for the cognito ones and see how it rides. Mine isn't bad, but I do feel it is over sprung in the front. I also ordered their pitman arm brace Along with a steering stabilizer. I do feel like I get a good bit of bumpsteer. The steering does seam a bit meh to me. Sorta wonders a bit.

I figured between the bars the brace and the stabilizer. Should be worked out, lol

Don't get me wrong mine doesn't drive bad. It feels pretty good in sweeping curves and what not. Also on smooth roads. But on the 2 lane bumpy County roads I'm on often. The steering just feels a little loose. Kind of like I'm sawing at the wheel a decent amount. I'm not really sure exactly what it needs. That's why I got all three, lol. Maybe it's just from the front being over sprung. Maybe it's some flex in the pitman arm brackets. Or it could just be the big 35" load E tires with no stabilizer. I mean typically lifted trucks with 35"s would have a stabilizer and braces added. Technically this is a lifted truck, it's just factory.

Besides I bought a 2 post lift, lol. I've been wanting to try the lighter rate springs since day one. So might as well do the other two upgrades while I'm at it. Any comments or reviews I could find online about all three of these upgrades were 100% positive.
@8ball_99 did you get those upgrades installed? Would you recommend?

They haven't came in yet. I think eta is today or tomorrow. Probably be this weekend before I put them on.
There's still time to trade it then. That's gotta be $2k worth of suspension mods. May as well get an LTZ or HC and put a 4 inch Cognito lift with Elka shocks. Might be cheaper after all these changes to an already expensive truck.

Last edited:
There's still time to trade it then. That's gotta be $2k worth of suspension mods. May as well get an LTZ or HC and put a 4 inch Cognito lift with Elka shocks. Might be cheaper after all these changes to an already expensive truck.
Not really the same deal. I'm changing my snowplow springs out for a lower rate spring. The oem ones were 550. So it was basically the same to go with Cognito comfort springs. A LTZ or HC with 35s would also be in the same boat with the stabilizer and pitman brace. I'm not adding any lift or changing shocks or anything.

Not really the same deal. I'm changing my snowplow springs out for a lower rate spring. The oem ones were 550. So it was basically the same to go with Cognito comfort springs. A LTZ or HC with 35s would also be in the same boat with the stabilizer and pitman brace. I'm not adding any lift or changing shocks or anything.
So you're doing torsion bars and leaf springs ? That's what I thought you said in the original post. I'm surprised the ride is affected that much with the heavier torsion bars. I think they are only 150lb more for the snow plow package.

This was the kit I was considering. I think this Elka or the King kit would get you ZR2 quality ride. They both have full compression and rebound adjustability. Still got time and expense for install to consider.

Last edited:
Nahh, it's just my wording. I am just changing the torsion bars out for Cognito comfort ride bars. The Torsion bars are basically our front springs. I get they are torsion bars. I just often call them springs cause they do the same thing. We are just twisting them instead of compressing them. In my brain they are just springs lol.

I don't really know how much of a difference the plow springs make. I was going to get OEM bars and see. But for the price and probably the wait time. I figured why not go with the Cognito ones. Which I'm sure will ride better. They shipped in a day or two. I also have a gasser. So my engine is significantly lighter than a duramax. I think the gas truck is 7-800lb lighter, if I remember right.

Mine feels over sprung to me. Pretty much what it feels like in a HD someone has cranked the stock keys up to lift it. Mine is stock height and stock settings. So lower rate torsion seems like the way to go.

Nahh, it's just my wording. I am just changing the torsion bars out for Cognito comfort ride bars. The Torsion bars are basically our front springs. I get they are torsion bars. I just often call them springs cause they do the same thing. We are just twisting them instead of compressing them. In my brain they are just springs lol.

I don't really know how much of a difference the plow springs make. I was going to get OEM bars and see. But for the price and probably the wait time. I figured why not go with the Cognito ones. Which I'm sure will ride better. They shipped in a day or two. I also have a gasser. So my engine is significantly lighter than a duramax. I think the gas truck is 7-800lb lighter, if I remember right.

Mine feels over sprung to me. Pretty much what it feels like in a HD someone has cranked the stock keys up to lift it. Mine is stock height stock settings. So lower rate torsion seems like the way to go.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was just gonna tell you to strap on a set of tractor weights and get your flex on.

I know on some other forums guys have went to the lighter torsion bars and said it made a big difference on their standard 2500HD.

Cognito makes good stuff and I would go that route too. I'm sure those bars will make it a little better up front.

Most Member Reactions

Back