Hoping to get an answer this time

ZR2Cajun

Reaction score
In an earlier post i asked if the ZR2 HD will need a leveling kit? I ask because i am currently out of the country and will not see one in person until the end of this month (hopefully mine). If you put a leveling kit on it where did you get it? Thanks in advance for the help

It does look like there is a decent rake to the HD. Being a new model, you’ll probably have to wait a bit for a spacer lift.

In an earlier post i asked if the ZR2 HD will need a leveling kit? I ask because i am currently out of the country and will not see one in person until the end of this month (hopefully mine). If you put a leveling kit on it where did you get it? Thanks in advance for the help
Ask it again in the same post, just good forum practice as it brings it back to the top of the list for folks. but since you’ve started another thread I’ll tell you what I think here…likely why no one responded earlier, few if anyone actually knows yet.

Like I have done, you’ll have to look at the pics (which show a rake in my opinion), research, and leverage the Google as your friend. I’ve heard / read that it has a 1.5 inch lift. My gut tells me that is likely just essential a leveling kit (as they did a mild “lift” on the 1500 but it still has some rake, albeit I think less from factory). My google searching came up with nothing for the HD ZR2 yet leveling kit wise, which I expected given its is so new and companies haven’t been able to do viable R&D

Ask it again in the same post, just good forum practice as it brings it back to the top of the list for folks. but since you’ve started another thread I’ll tell you what I think here…likely why no one responded earlier, few if anyone actually knows yet.

Like I have done, you’ll have to look at the pics (which show a rake in my opinion), research, and leverage the Google as your friend. I’ve heard / read that it has a 1.5 inch lift. My gut tells me that is likely just essential a leveling kit (as they did a mild “lift” on the 1500 but it still has some rake, albeit I think less from factory). My google searching came up with nothing for the HD ZR2 yet leveling kit wise, which I expected given its is so new and companies haven’t been able to do viable R&D
Thanks for the info

Just a FYI. The 2500s have a torsion bars front suspension. Leveling them is typically done by turning the torsion bars up or changing the torsion bar keys. Which also basically just turns the torsion bars up. Doing this will stiffen the ride compared to stock. Personally, I wouldn't buy a ZR2 HD and turn the bars up. Sorta the whole point in the truck is the better ride quality over a typical HD. I guess if you just hate the slight rake and you never tow or haul anything. Maybe just look for smaller spacers for the rear axle to level the truck. Raising the front will also wear out the ball joints faster. The ZR2 HD is already close to 1.5" taller than a standard HD. I'd really want to know if they used different UCA on the ZR2 version before I thought about lifting the front anymore. Good chance the arms and ball joints are the same and the extra lift is just from the shocks and larger tires. But that would also mean the angle on the ball joints is already slightly increased.

Just a FYI. The 2500s have a torsion bars front suspension. Leveling them is typically done by turning the torsion bars up or changing the torsion bar keys. Which also basically just turns the torsion bars up. Doing this will stiffen the ride compared to stock. Personally, I wouldn't buy a ZR2 HD and turn the bars up. Sorta the whole point in the truck is the better ride quality over a typical HD. I guess if you just hate the slight rake and you never tow or haul anything. Maybe just look for smaller spacers for the rear axle to level the truck. Raising the front will also wear out the ball joints faster. The ZR2 HD is already close to 1.5" taller than a standard HD. I'd really want to know if they used different UCA on the ZR2 version before I thought about lifting the front anymore. Good chance the arms and ball joints are the same and the extra lift is just from the shocks and larger tires. But that would also mean the angle on the ball joints is already slightly increased.
i had a 2011 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax i owned for 13 years and just sold which i put a leveling kit on the first day done by the dealership (not torsion bar turned up) and i have never had an issue with it. I tow almost daily hauling tractors and farm equipment. I can't stand the rake i rather a level truck. I am sure they will come out with a leveling kit hopefully soon that will fit the ZR2 HD which is replacing the 2011 i sold

i had a 2011 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax i owned for 13 years and just sold which i put a leveling kit on the first day done by the dealership (not torsion bar turned up) and i have never had an issue with it. I tow almost daily hauling tractors and farm equipment. I can't stand the rake i rather a level truck. I am sure they will come out with a leveling kit hopefully soon that will fit the ZR2 HD which is replacing the 2011 i sold
Lol, nice, I also had a 2011 Duramax. I also raised the front end. I did 1.25". Not to level it but to compensate for my rear airbags that raised the rear of the truck. So the front had to come up to put the rake back to factory. I also had to replace the front shocks with longer ones. I have a few buddies with the duramax trucks and they had to do the same.

If your dealer leveled yours, they turned the torsion bars up. I wasn't saying that would cause a problem really. It just will effect ride quality. Especially with factory length shocks. I put almost 200k on mine and never had a problem. A buddy of mine still owns my old truck. But what I was saying the ZR2 HD comes already with the front end lifted 1.5". So if they are using the same control arms and ball joints as a standard HD. (Good chance) Trying to lift it another inch or two probably will put the ball joints at to much of an angle. And will cause problems sooner or later. Think all the 1500 Trailboss and AT4s with leveling kits and wheels falling off.

I'm not an expert. I could definitely be wrong. But I've never seen or heard of any leveling kit that doesn't turn the factory keys up or replace the keys with larger ones. It's just kind of how a torsion bar system works. You can't raise the front up with out turning the bars up. It's not like a 1500 where you can just use shock spacers.

Lol, nice, I also had a 2011 Duramax. I also raised the front end. I did 1.25". Not to level it but to compensate for my rear airbags that raised the rear of the truck. So the front had to come up to put the rake back to factory. I also had to replace the front shocks with longer ones. I have a few buddies with the duramax trucks and they had to do the same.

If your dealer leveled yours, they turned the torsion bars up. I wasn't saying that would cause a problem really. It just will effect ride quality. Especially with factory length shocks. I put almost 200k on mine and never had a problem. A buddy of mine still owns my old truck. But what I was saying the ZR2 HD comes already with the front end lifted 1.5". So if they are using the same control arms and ball joints as a standard HD. (Good chance) Trying to lift it another inch or two probably will put the ball joints at to much of an angle. And will cause problems sooner or later. Think all the 1500 Trailboss and AT4s with leveling kits and wheels falling off.

I'm not an expert. I could definitely be wrong. But I've never seen or heard of any leveling kit that doesn't turn the factory keys up or replace the keys with larger ones. It's just kind of how a torsion bar system works. You can't raise the front up with out turning the bars up. It's not like a 1500 where you can just use shock spacers.
it looks like you are correct it's a completely different torsion key installed that is GM endorsed and installed at the dealership. Every lifted truck i have had was done prior to me getting it and the 2011 is my first 2500. Maybe i am just lucky but i have always had lifted or leveled trucks and never had an issue with any of them. Thanks

it looks like you are correct it's a completely different torsion key installed that is GM endorsed and installed at the dealership. Every lifted truck i have had was done prior to me getting it and the 2011 is my first 2500. Maybe i am just lucky but i have always had lifted or leveled trucks and never had an issue with any of them. Thanks
You should be able to still do it to a zr2 HD, I would just wait until a company comes out with some different upper control arms. IF the Zr2 has the same arms as regular HDs and they already have the increased ride height. Then it probably doesn't have much room to go up more. That's what happens with At4s and trail bosses. They have the same arms with a factory lift. When you add a leveling it. It's just to much on the ball joints and they fail. The factory lift OR the leveling kit is fine. Doing both is the problem with out changing the UCAs.

You should be able to still do it to a zr2 HD, I would just wait until a company comes out with some different upper control arms. IF the Zr2 has the same arms as regular HDs and they already have the increased ride height. Then it probably doesn't have much room to go up more. That's what happens with At4s and trail bosses. They have the same arms with a factory lift. When you add a leveling it. It's just to much on the ball joints and they fail. The factory lift OR the leveling kit is fine. Doing both is the problem with out changing the UCAs.
Agreed.

I’ve leveled 3 HDs…all were torsion key swaps (as it’s been stated) after I bought and drove them a bit. I added extended front shocks and new UCAs…except on one and I did have ball joint failures on that truck….it wasn’t immediate but without question that was the cause.

Reactions: AXE
Below is what's different between the ZH2 and the other HD's
MultiMatic DSSV dampers, specific front upper and lower control arms and specific steering knuckles, larger steel transfer case skid plate, a front aluminum skid plate, a rear locker, and 18-inch aluminum wheels wrapped in 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires. This comes from GM Authority

Below is what's different between the ZH2 and the other HD's
MultiMatic DSSV dampers, specific front upper and lower control arms and specific steering knuckles, larger steel transfer case skid plate, a front aluminum skid plate, a rear locker, and 18-inch aluminum wheels wrapped in 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires. This comes from GM Authority
Ultimately, we are all just trying to say…wait for a company that releases a specifically engineered “leveling kit” for the ZR2 HD (I personally recommend a kit with new upper control arms and at least shock extensions if not longer we front shocks but then you lose the DSSV’s on the front)…don’t let a dealer or someone talk you into cranking torsion bars or trying to slap an HD leveling kit on it but do what you want in the end.

Ultimately, we are all just trying to say…wait for a company that releases a specifically engineered “leveling kit” for the ZR2 HD (I personally recommend a kit with new upper control arms and at least shock extensions if not longer we front shocks but then you lose the DSSV’s on the front)…don’t let a dealer or someone talk you into cranking torsion bars or trying to slap an HD leveling kit on it but do what you want in the end.
i appreciate the advice i certainly don't want to be cheap on upgrades with the price these trucks cost thanks

Looking for any updates on this topic:

I just bought a 24 HD ZR2 and would like to level it. I have yet to find anyone who has one specifically for the ZR2/AT4x. I called a couple places who make kits and the only answer I can get is “does it have magnetic ride? If not you’re okay.” My concern is with the multimatic dampers. I believe they have position sensors. Does anyone have any update on if a regular level kit will work on the HD ZR2 or if someone is making them yet?

It sits pretty flat in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4405.jpeg
    IMG_4405.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 30
Mine has a 2in difference and it’s noticeable.
Front is 42 3/4 Rear is 44 3/4

Attachments

• IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 28
Mine has a 2in difference and it’s noticeable.
Front is 42 3/4 Rear is 44 3/4
I assume your measuring at axels to fender. If that the case I got 43 and 44.
You pic is good but house siding is lvl background and driveway pitched making it look extremely pitched. My tires right now are at factory spec pressure, I do see what you are visualizing though. 😀

Ha I see what you are talking about with the siding. I measured ground up. Driveway is fairly level with maybe a slight pitch to get water off. Could be my angle or height of the phone that makes it look pitched. Truck cant is noticeable though . Be nice if the level kit mfg would say if they will work on ZR2’s or not. I think the shocks have a position sensor but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpeg
    IMG_3005.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 18
Cognito told me their level kit would work with Multimatic shocks via an email to their tech support.

I don't think you need a level kit. It levels pretty good with stock keys.

I cranked my torsion bars 3 to 4 turns and lifted the front to level. That pulled the rear height down a tad. I then backed it off a bit and left rhe front about 1/2 lower cause it looks better with the hood and cab geometry. Ride quality is the same and alignment stayed within spec.

I've posted details on how to do that in more than one thread.

Last edited:
Thanks, try that first and yes I agree doesn’t need to be totally level just an inch or so raised in the front. Plus with a trailer I’m sure it will sit more than my 1 ton did. I’ll look at the post for details. Airbags may be next. Not sure how that will work with the amount of travel this suspension has on the ZR2. Again, thanks for responding!

Most Member Reactions

Back