Inconsistency in settings?

TsRZR2

Reaction score
So here is another *I think* issue, but not dead positive yet. With all my issues trying to get the best settings for my door lock, passive lock etc. I went in to the settings and changed some things. Got out of the truck, tested the new settings and left it. Got up the next morning and thought it was unlocked yet again because the mirrors were deployed. Went to look at it and doors were locked. So I just figured I got the setting wrong and turned off the retracting mirrors. Drove it later and the mirrors retracted when I left the truck even though I had not changed it again. Came home and they didn't retract. Is there something natural that causes this inconsistency?

Reactions: AXE
So here is another *I think* issue, but not dead positive yet. With all my issues trying to get the best settings for my door lock, passive lock etc. I went in to the settings and changed some things. Got out of the truck, tested the new settings and left it. Got up the next morning and thought it was unlocked yet again because the mirrors were deployed. Went to look at it and doors were locked. So I just figured I got the setting wrong and turned off the retracting mirrors. Drove it later and the mirrors retracted when I left the truck even though I had not changed it again. Came home and they didn't retract. Is there something natural that causes this inconsistency?
You may have a light on or something. I've noticed some quirks with mine. Never thought too much about it, but I went to autoparts store the other day and mine didn't retract, I didn't check to see if the doors were locked but it did auto start, so I assumed they were.

The mirrors retract when that setting is on and you use the keyfob to lock the truck. I think if you hit lock as you are getting out or use the button on the door handle it doesn't do it. But not sure. I don't have that turned on. I just hit the button to fold them when I want to.

I tried the auto. But I didn't like that it unfolds them when you unlock. Normally I unlock the truck as we are walking up to it. So the last thing I want is the mirrors coming out when walking between the vehicles. That's mostly the reason I fold them.

The mirrors retract when that setting is on and you use the keyfob to lock the truck. I think if you hit lock as you are getting out or use the button on the door handle it doesn't do it. But not sure. I don't have that turned on. I just hit the button to fold them when I want to.

I tried the auto. But I didn't like that it unfolds them when you unlock. Normally I unlock the truck as we are walking up to it. So the last thing I want is the mirrors coming out when walking between the vehicles. That's mostly the reason I fold them.
That’s why I mostly use the button on the door handle.

I think the one consistency in this inconsistency is... software. It is pretty easy for a subroutine to get skipped once when it has just been enabled, and it is also fairly easy to have a cancelled subroutine run one last time. I have mine set up for auto lock with retract and it has worked flawlessly every single time whether I used the fob, door button, app, or let it auto lock as I walk away, in fact the only failure I have had is in this winter weather when the drivers side mirror was frozen, so I had to give it a helping hand to deploy when I unlocked. If you decide how you want it set and leave it, it should work well after maybe a time or 2 of intermitency, or try resetting the infotainment system to clear out old commands sitting in the queue. IMHO/YMMV

Last edited:

My mirrors fold whether I use my FOB to lock the truck or if I press the button on the door handle. They should both fold the mirrors when a lock command is sent assuming it is set up in the settings. My mirrors also open when unlocking the truck which is exactly what I want them to do.

Just a follow up on this mirror folding thing. I can come up with no other conclusion than there being a randomness that overrides the settings. A sort of comical twist to the saga; when I go to Lowe's, get out and close the door; they lock but no mirror fold. Then come back home, I get lock and mirror fold. It is random in that I may get something different and not consistent whether using the door lock, FOB, or just walking away. Not the end of the world, just aggravating. I was also complaining about not being able to use the roller bar on the steering wheel to change the radio station. Now it has started working as expected. Who knows!

Just a follow up on this mirror folding thing. I can come up with no other conclusion than there being a randomness that overrides the settings. A sort of comical twist to the saga; when I go to Lowe's, get out and close the door; they lock but no mirror fold. Then come back home, I get lock and mirror fold. It is random in that I may get something different and not consistent whether using the door lock, FOB, or just walking away. Not the end of the world, just aggravating. I was also complaining about not being able to use the roller bar on the steering wheel to change the radio station. Now it has started working as expected. Who knows!
If you haven't done so yet. Might be worth pulling the negative on the battery and leaving it for 30 mins or so. Then go in and confirm your settings. Just to do a reset on the computer. I've never had much trouble with the electronics in the 2 different ZR2s I've had. But in hindsight, it might be because I've pulled the battery on both several times,. Lol not for this reason, but because of adding stuff and doing wiring. My HD has had the battery disconnected probably 7 times in 1600 miles. Not saying do all that. But a reset might help it. It's free to try and only takes a 10mm. Can't hurt 🤷

If you haven't done so yet. Might be worth pulling the negative on the battery and leaving it for 30 mins or so. Then go in and confirm your settings. Just to do a reset on the computer. I've never had much trouble with the electronics in the 2 different ZR2s I've had. But in hindsight, it might be because I've pulled the battery on both several times,. Lol not for this reason, but because of adding stuff and doing wiring. My HD has had the battery disconnected probably 7 times in 1600 miles. Not saying do all that. But a reset might help it. It's free to try and only takes a 10mm. Can't hurt 🤷
Yep, I think these things are rolling computers. Just like your home computer or phone an occasional reset may be beneficial. Mine was never too bad, but now it's worse. Can't hurt I guess.

On a similar note, I had inconsistent behavior with Dome Override. Worked and didn’t, kept memory and didn’t.

Dealer updated the BCM and it fixed the issue. Might be worth the service appointment.

Minor update on this one. So I started testing when I get mirror deployment or not. Get this:
1. Unlock /relock with Fob, mirrors retract.
2. Open Door on handle and reclose, mirrors retract.
3. Crank Truck, wait for dashboard to boot. Turn off, get out and close door, mirrors retract.
3. Drive it ANYWHERE, stop, turn off, get out, no retract.
So the trigger is putting it in Drive.... :oops:

Anyone know of a setting that gets me here? Could still be a setting, but if it is, it's a ridiculously stupid one.

Hey, since a couple of people are still watching this, I was hoping I could get you to test something. I went to the dealer today and they shrug their shoulders on the mirror deployment issue.
Here is the test I hope one of you can run or verify. With Auto door lock on (meaning when you walk away from the vehicle, with no action the doors automatically lock and mirrors retract ) after a specified time.
Also, with mirrors set to retract, try this: Crank Truck, wait for Infotainment to boot up, Put vehicle in drive or reverse for a few feet. Then put back in Park, turn off, get out and close door.
Do the doors lock and mirrors retract after a specified time?
Mine works for every situation except after I have placed it in a gear.
My main thing is; Do they ALL do this, or is just mine screwed up?
Thanks to anyone who tries this.

Hey, since a couple of people are still watching this, I was hoping I could get you to test something. I went to the dealer today and they shrug their shoulders on the mirror deployment issue.
Here is the test I hope one of you can run or verify. With Auto door lock on (meaning when you walk away from the vehicle, with no action the doors automatically lock and mirrors retract ) after a specified time.
Also, with mirrors set to retract, try this: Crank Truck, wait for Infotainment to boot up, Put vehicle in drive or reverse for a few feet. Then put back in Park, turn off, get out and close door.
Do the doors lock and mirrors retract after a specified time?
Mine works for every situation except after I have placed it in a gear.
My main thing is; Do they ALL do this, or is just mine screwed up?
Thanks to anyone who tries this.
I do this all the time playing musical cars in my driveway. Mine work fine. Only time I had an issue is when the dome light, parking lights, or door wasn't full closed. I think you might have sensor issues or something left on. Pull the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes battery and see if it resets.

FOUND IT! Get this; I KNEW it had to be a setting confusion because the problem only started after I was tweaking settings. So, if you Have Auto Lock set to Off, then after you place the car in gear, drive somewhere, then Park, turn it off and get out, No Mirror retraction. Just to clarify, AutoLock is the function that automatically unlocks your doors when you put it in Park. Three options; Off, Driver's Door and All Doors. The only setting that stops mirror retraction after driving is AutoLock set to off. Dumb as hell, but it is what it is. Try this on yours.

FOUND IT! Get this; I KNEW it had to be a setting confusion because the problem only started after I was tweaking settings. So, if you Have Auto Lock set to Off, then after you place the car in gear, drive somewhere, then Park, turn it off and get out, No Mirror retraction. Just to clarify, AutoLock is the function that automatically unlocks your doors when you put it in Park. Three options; Off, Driver's Door and All Doors. The only setting that stops mirror retraction after driving is AutoLock set to off. Dumb as hell, but it is what it is. Try this on yours.
my rig is set....i dont touch strange buttons. lol

Most Member Reactions

Back