Knocking when in reverse

FuzzLife

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Can't pinpoint where the sound of knocking is coming from when truck is in reverse and slowing rolling back I hear knocking from the rear.

Not sure if its coming from the axle or the wheels.

Booked an appointment with dealership for next week.

Anyone else had this issue and find out what was causing it?

Thanks

***UPDATE*** - So took the truck to the dealership today. Went into the service office, 4 people behind desks, I'm waiting about 5 minutes to be greeted while they are either on their phones or talking to each other but definitely busy enough to not see me standing there. Piss me off!! Finally some chick comes in, now making it 5 people in the office and says "can I help you"?

Told her I thought I had left "Invisible Mode" on again figured she would giggle but nothing...its like talking to my pillow! WTF is wrong with this new generation?!?!?!?

Finally she checks me in and says her diagnostic guy is backed up about 3 days worth of vehicles. I told her I need the truck back by Thursday night to make a Dr appointment on Friday morning. She tells me if he cant get to it I will need to pick it up Thursday evening and bring it back next week.....EXCUSE ME???? BRING IT BACK???? And go through that shit all over again??? WTF?!?!?!?! Find more DIAGNOSTIC people if you only have ONE!!!!

Then she tells me if its covered under warranty, its free but if they see abuse or modifications done to the truck its not covered. I told this chick I have 1,000 miles on the truck and its been raining a few days every week since I got it...I haven't done anything to the truck, I just started hearing the noise and made my appointment.

Left truck there in hopes they look at it by Thursday but I'm not hopeful. If nothing is done, I will take it to my mechanic to diagnose and tell me what's wrong with it for free then take it to another dealership for the work and tell them what it is so they don't waste time looking at other things that aren't the problem. Never had a dealership tell me this but it felt very unsettling, like I'm the one at fault here. That conversation should wait till the time of pick up not in the first 10 minutes of the greeting.

Needless to say this particular dealership is SHIT and I'm NEVER going back there again. Should have learned my lesson when I sent out an inquiry looking for this truck and their salesman wouldn't stop bombarding me trucks I didn't even ask for. I asked for one truck...have it? No? Ok thanks bye....but they kept sending me shit till I told them to please stop and blocked their salesman's email.

If you are in Southern California DO NOT go to Puente Hills Chevy off of Gale and the 60Fwy. Horrible customer service, NO STAFF, NO MECHANICS, NO DIAGNOSTIC TECHS and the list goes on and on.

I'm gonna go vomit now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any time I change direction (forward to reverse or vice versa) I hear the brake caliper clunk as they shift in their cradles when the brakes are applied that first time, I only hear it if I have the window down, I am going slow, and the radio is off, but I can also feel it a little if I am really paying attention. It really only happens once when I first brake.

Any time I change direction (forward to reverse or vice versa) I hear the brake caliper clunk as they shift in their cradles when the brakes are applied that first time, I only hear it if I have the window down, I am going slow, and the radio is off, but I can also feel it a little if I am really paying attention. It really only happens once when I first brake.
Need to pull the calipers and inspect for wear and damage. Lube the slide rods. Then retorque to get them squared up. They shouldn't make any noise.

Last edited:
Need to pull the calipers and inspect for wear and damage. Lube the slide rods. Then retorque to get them squared up. They shouldn't make any noise.

AXE, what do you think my issue could be coming from? I was thinking brakes like @HighTechPauper has at first until I rolled down the window...More like knocking and creaking on mine

Hey Everyone,

Can't pinpoint where the sound of knocking is coming from when truck is in reverse and slowing rolling back I hear knocking from the rear.

Not sure if its coming from the axle or the wheels.

Booked an appointment with dealership for next week.

Anyone else had this issue and find out what was causing it?

Thanks
I would go back and see if you spare tire is loose. I had that happen on my 2500HD before. Might only be loose an inch, but 100 lbs of tire and wheel would bounce around some.

Then I might start looking at loose shocks, loose or bad leaf springs, excessive play in the driveline, loose gas tank or any other items. Could possibly have a broken gear in the axle too. I think that's low likelihood

The fact that you're only hearing it when backing up may be because you're going slow enough to hear it. Whereas, in drive you may be moving too fast so there's more noise.

Last edited:
It's literally like less than idle speed is when I hear it. I don't think its the spare since the truck is barely rolling on flat ground. Unfortunately I cant get under the truck to check it out but I'm hoping the dealer will find what it is. Said it's gotta be left there all day, not sure why but as long as its fixed.

I appreciate the advice, the 21 RST did it from day one, and the 24 ZR2 does it to, it isn't anything major, just a slight click from the pad shifting a small amount in the caliper, I will have a good look and evaluate it at the first tire rotation.

I would go back and see if you spare tire is loose. I had that happen on my 2500HD before. Might only be loose an inch, but 100 lbs of tire and wheel would bounce around some.

Then I might start looking at loose shocks, loose or bad leaf springs, excessive play in the driveline, loose gas tank or any other items. Could possibly have a broken gear in the axle too. I think that's low likelihood

The fact that you're only hearing it when backing up may be because you're going slow enough to hear it. Whereas, in drive you may be moving too fast so there's more noise.
Can it be rear axle reverse torque or twist

Can it be rear axle reverse torque or twist
It's been like that since I got it 2 months ago but hoping the dealer will find the issue next week. If it is what you are stating, is that a big job or safety factor? Truck only has 900 miles on it.

Reactions: AXE
A fair number of people on the trailboss forums have found their leaf spring u-bolts loose causing some noise. If you have a torque wrench and a spare 15 minutes that would be something easy to check. Also the leaf spring isolators have been known to be a little noisy on some trucks.

***UPDATE:*** So I took the truck to dealership waited 2 days and got call back saying the knocking is normal. Girl also asked me if this was my first truck. I said no it's my 3rd and the other 2 didn't make this noise. Taking to my mechanic in the next 2 weeks for his opinion. Knocking and creaking hasn't been my experience with my other trucks so why would it be one in this truck? All 3 have been GM trucks that use similar if not the same parts....amazes me.

Do you have the fancy flex 3-way tailgate? Mine does and I head a clunking sound going over small bumps at low speed. I crawled under it and couldn't find anything. If I shake the tailgate with my hands, it makes an almost mild knocking sound. I'm gonna have my dealer look at it when I take it in for its first service.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back