Knocking when in reverse

Do you have the fancy flex 3-way tailgate? Mine does and I head a clunking sound going over small bumps at low speed. I crawled under it and couldn't find anything. If I shake the tailgate with my hands, it makes an almost mild knocking sound. I'm gonna have my dealer look at it when I take it in for its first service.
No I have the single power liftgate. I had the fancy one on my Sierra Denali

***UPDATE:*** So I took the truck to dealership waited 2 days and got call back saying the knocking is normal. Girl also asked me if this was my first truck. I said no it's my 3rd and the other 2 didn't make this noise. Taking to my mechanic in the next 2 weeks for his opinion. Knocking and creaking hasn't been my experience with my other trucks so why would it be one in this truck? All 3 have been GM trucks that use similar if not the same parts....amazes me.
Maybe take it into another dealer too. A lot of these hacks will just look at the obvious stuff and not really do any road diagnostics or research to identify the problem. They should have at least involved GM support for some assistance.

Maybe take it into another dealer too. A lot of these hacks will just look at the obvious stuff and not really do any road diagnostics or research to identify the problem. They should have at least involved GM support for some assistance.
Yeah my buddy who knows a shit ton about cars and trucks heard it and diagnosed it to be coming from my leaf springs. Standing on the side steps and slightly hoping up and down on them made them creek and thump even more. So each time the springs move up or down it makes the noise which explains why I'm hearing it from inside the cab when idling in reverse. He said it's not detrimental to the truck or the performance but the movement in between the leaf springs would cause wear on them. I will be taking it to another place next week and after they see how pissed off I am from the first place, they will address it.

A fair number of people on the trailboss forums have found their leaf spring u-bolts loose causing some noise. If you have a torque wrench and a spare 15 minutes that would be something easy to check. Also the leaf spring isolators have been known to be a little noisy on some trucks.
That's exactly what it is....the leaf springs

I remember reading that a few people here have had their leaf springs replaced under warranty, hopefully you can get a dealer to put on a new set for you.

I wonder if the ZR2 spring pack is any different than the trailboss pack, and if the problem is contained within the limited number of zr2s being assembled.

I remember reading that a few people here have had their leaf springs replaced under warranty, hopefully you can get a dealer to put on a new set for you.

I wonder if the ZR2 spring pack is any different than the trailboss pack, and if the problem is contained within the limited number of zr2s being assembled.
So I'm guessing its not able to be tightened and would need to be replaced? Not sure what TSB means.

It’s a bulletin put out by GM after they determine a problem exists and authorizes GM Dealers to make the repair to affected vehicles, certain years within a certain time period of production.

It’s a bulletin put out by GM after they determine a problem exists and authorizes GM Dealers to make the repair to affected vehicles, certain years within a certain time period of production.
Just did a search on nhtsa.gov using my VIN and no recalls at this time. I'm still taking it in next week.

I think mine just started this in the last week or so. There is a small bump where my driveway meets the road. When backing into the drive there is a thump from the rear end while going over the bump (OH, HELL!!! I've just written the next Miley Cyrus song!! 😂). I'll have to get it to the dealer to see if they can figure out it the TSB applies.

Just did a search on nhtsa.gov using my VIN and no recalls at this time. I'm still taking it in next week.
Just a heads up. A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is different than a recall. A TSB generally isn't announced to the public and won't show up under a recall. It's a bulletin sent to dealerships telling them what the customer concern(s) may be, what to check, and how to repair the issue.

Some searching found this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10240183-0001.pdf

Any dealer should be able to search this bulletin number 19-NA-129 and be able to find the procedure.

IMG_5638.jpeg

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back