May seem simple but......

securityguy

Reaction score
Has anyone pulled off the tailgate yet? I know that both straps have to be unbolted at the tail light area and the tailgate positioned properly to pull off the hinges. Just looking for any tips from someone that may have done it before my neighbor and I remove it so I can install my light stick.

Thanks!

Reactions: AXE
Maybe YouTube had it.

Probably gotta pull some wires. Usually have to remove lock fitting to get to wires. Multiflex tailgate you can get to wires through the light pods in step.

Last edited:
I maybe YouTube had it.

Probably gotta pull some wires. Usually have to remove lock fitting to get to wires. Multiflex tailgate you can get to wires through the light pods in step.
You do have to disconnect the harness that feeds the cameras and that's it. Not a multi-flex tailgate. I did youtube it but wanted to see if anyone on the forum had removed it themselves.

Reactions: AXE
I haven't done it, But just a FYI I've heard they are pretty heavy. Should basically come off the same as any other tailgate. Uplug the wire harness, take the hinges loose. Than just hold it at the right angle and lift up on the one side. I'd definitely have a helper, lol maybe two.

I will say this, I tried to remove mine to put the light bar on (MultiFlex so no power up/down feature), got the one side to slide out like on a normal tailgate, then two of us tugged, wiggled and prodded and did everything we could think of to remove it from the drivers side mount but found the other side was just not coming apart, it was at that moment I realized that the damper that cushions the drop may be a reason for the difficulty. I then decided that I didn't want to risk damaging the damper system and decided to just leave it half open and removed from the one side and held up at an angle by my buddy while I measured and chalk lined my mounting line and attached the 4 clips (VHB tape, no screws). In the end, about a year later, the damper stopped working quite as well and could just barely keep the tailgate from banging, it worked,, but like only half as good as it used to, was it damaged by us trying to get the tailgate off, I don't know, but I always wondered. Now, I know it has to be able to be removed and replaced without damaging anything, but I couldn't find any real info on the specifics or steps involved, so I will be interested to see what you learn doing this @securityguy, please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck with it!

I will say this, I tried to remove mine to put the light bar on (MultiFlex so no power up/down feature), got the one side to slide out like on a normal tailgate, then two of us tugged, wiggled and prodded and did everything we could think of to remove it from the drivers side mount but found the other side was just not coming apart, it was at that moment I realized that the damper that cushions the drop may be a reason for the difficulty. I then decided that I didn't want to risk damaging the damper system and decided to just leave it half open and removed from the one side and held up at an angle by my buddy while I measured and chalk lined my mounting line and attached the 4 clips (VHB tape, no screws). In the end, about a year later, the damper stopped working quite as well and could just barely keep the tailgate from banging, it worked,, but like only half as good as it used to, was it damaged by us trying to get the tailgate off, I don't know, but I always wondered. Now, I know it has to be able to be removed and replaced without damaging anything, but I couldn't find any real info on the specifics or steps involved, so I will be interested to see what you learn doing this @securityguy, please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck with it!
I do know that the passenger side gets released at about 30 degrees, then, once released and removed from the hinge, the drivers side need to be at about 80 degrees (near straight up and down) to pull up and out. That may be the art you missed. I have seen a few YT vids and this certainly isn't rocket science as Billy Joe Bob removed his. I, too, was wondering about the damper as well. My post was just looking for confirmation and if anyone has done it to our truck. I may just confirm with my dealer and get r done once we have nicer weather soon.

Hey @securityguy, can you post a link to that video please? I want to make sure I give it a go-over before I do the lightbar on my 24, I will probably wait until the weather is warmer so the metal is up to temp so the VHB tape sticks well, it doesn't like the cold, though I can always use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm things up and make it work well even in the colder weather if I have to. Thanks in advance for the video link(s).

Hey @securityguy, can you post a link to that video please? I want to make sure I give it a go-over before I do the lightbar on my 24, I will probably wait until the weather is warmer so the metal is up to temp so the VHB tape sticks well, it doesn't like the cold, though I can always use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm things up and make it work well even in the colder weather if I have to. Thanks in advance for the video link(s).
I called PUTCO and spoke to the tech who worked on the ZR2. He stated no issues with the damper. Go to timeframe 2:45 in the video below. Passenger side tilted at 45 degrees...pull up and out. Then raise tailgate to almost closed and pull up and comes off. I highly recommend this to be a 2-man job to prevent any damage. PUTCO also sent me a pic of exactly where to put the 4 plastic mounting brackets on the frame to hold the light bar. It's still plenty nice enough temp wise here in FL for me to get this done next week based on my neighbors availability. Either way, I'll post pics when I'm done. My CORSA goes on next Tuesday :p

Last edited:
I took mine off the hinges but left the wires connected when I installed my light bar. It was pretty heavy and while one person could lift it it was way easier having two to keep from banging it around.

So...I am looking at my tailgate brackets and noticed that the drivers side appears to be just a socket and tailgate pin with no notch to pull up on the tailgate as the above YT video showed on an older Silverado. The passengers side has the notch. So thinking that I just have to tilt at about 45 degrees. lift up the passenger side and then pull it away from the drivers side bracket so the pin pulls away from the socket. I can't see any other way to get it off. Maybe ours is a bit different because it has the soft-open damper system built into the hinge???

@amateurhour .....what did you have to do to get yours off?

The drivers side is just a socket, your plan should work.

I took off the straps, took out the bolt on the passenger side, tilted the tailgate to 45* then lifted the passenger side up and back. To get the driver’s side out the entire tailgate had to slide to the passenger side an inch and then it was free.

The drivers side is just a socket, your plan should work.

I took off the straps, took out the bolt on the passenger side, tilted the tailgate to 45* then lifted the passenger side up and back. To get the driver’s side out the entire tailgate had to slide to the passenger side an inch and then it was free.
Thanks my friend!

Most Member Reactions

Back