Method 305 NV/Toyo OC RT Trail

thx. I have to run front mud flaps up here. These are custom made kickbacks designed for this truck. Nodrills. And there’s no way I’d get any bigger tire in there without no rub or cutting / trimming. With a Smaller offset maybe. There isn’t much room there with the mudflaps off test fitting. Maybe 1/4 inch

Dang that seems tight.

I see that you have a -18 offset. Do you feel that you would have to trim with a 0 or +12 offset as well?
Every truck may be a little different. I think there are people that are very optimistic regarding rubbing after they did modifications. They might be fine in the driveway, but a lot of pictures I've seen indicate rubbing.

I personally thought the stock setup was too close for hard off road use. I tested a few ideas and in my opinion they would have all rubbed. Cutting and trimming is a lot easier than fixing wrecked stuff later on.

Every truck may be a little different. I think there are people that are very optimistic regarding rubbing after they did modifications. They might be fine in the driveway, but a lot of pictures I've seen indicate rubbing.

I personally thought the stock setup was too close for hard off road use. I tested a few ideas and in my opinion they would have all rubbed. Cutting and trimming is a lot easier than fixing wrecked stuff later on.
So I off-road everyday for work. Articulate the truck. 4x4 more the 2x4. There is no way a -18 on a 9 wide would
Fit without rubbing. These 9 wide at 0 offset is close enough to rubbing with a 295-55-20 tire.

These are gnarly. Love the look.

How are you finding the road noise compared to the OEMs?
No real road noise, slightly more than stock and I thought stock was 0. I've run many sets of Toyos, mostly MTs and never thought they were noisy until about 35 to 40K miles. They seem noiser with less tread. I usually sell mine for $100 each at 35k.

Attachments

• 20230308_131049.jpg
    20230308_131049.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 185
I took about 18 mm off. It looks pretty clean and matches the lines of the bumper and body above. Will repaint the sanded edges and add some clear or might hit it with some bedliner coating.
Might just try push bumper out a lil more. I pushed around 1/2 going to try 3/4 out more before I cut the bumper

Reactions: AXE
I think you'll get there.
Might just try push bumper out a lil more. I pushed around 1/2 going to try 3/4 out more before I cut the bumper
If you can get to 3/4, it'll be good. I'm probably 5/8 or so.

I've always trimmed my bumpers, so don't know the details.

You are essentially removing bolts/nuts on bumper mounts and adding washers for spacers to get the forward offset distance you need. See it done on different trucks and seems to work well.

How have the fender mods been holding up? Is there still zero rub or have you found angles where it rubs?

No real road noise, slightly more than stock and I thought stock was 0. I've run many sets of Toyos, mostly MTs and never thought they were noisy until about 35 to 40K miles. They seem noiser with less tread. I usually sell mine for $100 each at 35k.
i would like that rim in black. tires look great

Mine have held up really well and look clean. No rubbing in front. I thought I heard a small rub once on the rear inner fender at about 3/4 turn over some rough terrain, but didn't see any visible rubbing. I think most rubbing would be in slower speed techincal stuff where there is a lot of turning and articulation, with weight over the front wheels.

I caught some air over a small table top on a road at about 55 mph. It was smooth as hell with this suspension. No rubbing.

This truck is 100% awesome in handling and suspension.

@AXE
I love the pics of the bumper and rear plastic guard cuts that you made. Do you happen to have before and after pics of the rear fender bracket that you reshaped with a hammer?

The only modification I've made to that bracket was to bend that metal tab with the silver quick nut attached to it a little rearward. Just to keep it from getting snagged since the plastic that would have attached there was removed.

I was going to rehab the whole bracket, but wanted to keep the geometry so I could still use the lower plastic trim to tie into the fender well.

Ah ok so I think you actually have a before and after. I didn't realize it was the same tab.
So pre hammering with the bolt out it looked like this

20230221_133000.jpg

And after the hammering with the bolt and the plastic in place it looks like this
20230227_182849.jpg

Yes! I put the bolt and washer back in so the tab would be a little stronger and the threads wouldn't plug up with debris. I thought it looked a little cleaner.

I ran without that brace for about a week when I was testing some different ideas. I do kinda think it's needed to keep the corner of the fender from moving around. I have seen a couple people say they removed it. I decided it didn't help get more clearance with the plastic piece still there.

Also, some of those camera angles are a little deceiving. There is more clearance than it may seem with these mods.

Thank you for clarifying. Still trying to see if it's worth changing the wheels and tires.

I started with wanting* 33s on the Colorado ZR2 and ended up with AEV fenders, 35s, regear, etc...

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying. Still trying to see if it's worth changing the wheels and tires.

I started with wanted 33s on the Colorado ZR2 and ended up with AEV fenders, 35s, regear, etc...
Bigger is better! I'd like to run 37s, but hard to do on Chevys with out 8 to 10 inch lift.

Most Member Reactions

Back