New Member from New Zealand

Jase

Reaction score
Hi Team,

I'm Jase,
I will be taking delivery of my new ZR2 in 3 weeks.
I will be towing a couple of different loads with this bad boy and looking for advice in Airbags and wheels.
The loads will be up around the 7000 lbs range.

I have been looking through this forum and you all are doing cool stuff, and seem to be very willing to let other users know how your experiences have gone.

My ZR2 is coming out of Oz right hand drive converted. (unfortunately we have to do stupid stuff like that down this part of the world).

Hope to chat soon

Jase

Welcome!

8ball_99 has a nice thread about airbags for these trucks: https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/onboard-air-airbags.357/
I did the same Airlift springs for a non-trail boss with Daystar cradles. It fits great giving the support needed without giving up ride or wheel travel when unloaded. 👍
Thank you for the link Amateurhour appreciate it.

8Ball_99's detail and info is so good and insightful. Dam cool thread

I forgot to mention above the I have the ZR2 1500

If you can answer a few questions if you know the information please?
Did you use the Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Bags ?
Also did you use Airlift Compressor like the ..... 25980EZ Wireless Compressor 2nd Gen On Board Kit or just a compressor off Amazon ?

Welcome! Great to see these rigs are running worldwide! I'm curious are there a lot of Chevrolet dealers in New Zealand?

Yes, used the loadlifter 5000 part no. 88288
I haven’t done a compressor setup yet, I’ve been inflating them with the schrader valves. I plan to put together a setup with a single Viair pump and tank so that I have onboard air, I just haven’t had the time to fit it up yet.

Reactions: AXE
Hi Team,

I'm Jase,
I will be taking delivery of my new ZR2 in 3 weeks.
I will be towing a couple of different loads with this bad boy and looking for advice in Airbags and wheels.
The loads will be up around the 7000 lbs range.

I have been looking through this forum and you all are doing cool stuff, and seem to be very willing to let other users know how your experiences have gone.

My ZR2 is coming out of Oz right hand drive converted. (unfortunately we have to do stupid stuff like that down this part of the world).

Hope to chat soon

Jase
welcome mate!!!

Welcome! Great to see these rigs are running worldwide! I'm curious are there a lot of Chevrolet dealers in New Zealand?
Hi Axe,
There is only a hand full. However they are very small and piggie back onto other dealers that have the infrastructure. And most of them are relatively new and only selling the Silverado and the Corvette (in limited models and specifications). This has all come about because they are now converting (R/H Drive) of those models in Australia now. Down in this neck of the woods it is Right hand drive and on the other side of the road. So are funny about what they let on the roads. We are allowed some L/H drive cars which are new but only limited. However if the vehicle is older than 20 years and complies with some rules they can say L/H.

We are so limited with what we have and get down this part of the world. But we make do.

I have picked up so many cool things and advise that is on the forum. It is so good that people are will to let you know what they have done and how they went about it.

Jase

Yes, used the loadlifter 5000 part no. 88288
I haven’t done a compressor setup yet, I’ve been inflating them with the schrader valves. I plan to put together a setup with a single Viair pump and tank so that I have onboard air, I just haven’t had the time to fit it up yet.
Hi Amateurhour
Thank you for the part number. That helps so much.

When I test drove the demo ZR2 here with my boat on the back. The rear felt a bit loose if that's the right words (the boat is 32 foot long 7000lbs) if you had to swerve to miss something. It was like the boat was pushing the rear around.

How do you feel you truck tows now with the airbags in ?

Also when you let all your air out do you have your stock ride back ?

Reactions: AXE
I have a boat that weighs about 6k lbs. I feel it pushed my truck a little when in corners and harder braking. I'm used to towing with HDs and airbags. Airbags make any towing better. Just levels the ride and keeps the rubber on all four corners on the road evenly.

Hi Amateurhour
Thank you for the part number. That helps so much.

When I test drove the demo ZR2 here with my boat on the back. The rear felt a bit loose if that's the right words (the boat is 32 foot long 7000lbs) if you had to swerve to miss something. It was like the boat was pushing the rear around.

How do you feel you truck tows now with the airbags in ?

Also when you let all your air out do you have your stock ride back ?
I’ll echo AXE’s statement that the airbags make a noticeable difference in stabilizing the truck. Unloaded the stock 1500 suspension rides great, but it is too soft for any significant load and felt like I was fighting the trailer. Mine felt a lot better towing after the bags, more under control.

With the bags deflated you can get that smooth ride but still have the capacity to tow comfortably once you add air. Unloaded my airbags float about an inch above the lower cradle so they don’t affect the ride, it worked out really well. I highly recommend anyone who gets airbags to use lower cradles from daystar or rough country to maintain the stock ride and articulation.

I have a boat that weighs about 6k lbs. I feel it pushed my truck a little when in corners and harder braking. I'm used to towing with HDs and airbags. Airbags make any towing better. Just levels the ride and keeps the rubber on all four corners on the road evenly.
Good to know. Thanks for the reply

I’ll echo AXE’s statement that the airbags make a noticeable difference in stabilizing the truck. Unloaded the stock 1500 suspension rides great, but it is too soft for any significant load and felt like I was fighting the trailer. Mine felt a lot better towing after the bags, more under control.

With the bags deflated you can get that smooth ride but still have the capacity to tow comfortably once you add air. Unloaded my airbags float about an inch above the lower cradle so they don’t affect the ride, it worked out really well. I highly recommend anyone who gets airbags to use lower cradles from daystar or rough country to maintain the stock ride and articulation.
Thanks for your input and help.

Also great to know about the airbags when they are deflated. I really liked the ride of the ZR2 and didn't want to lose that as a daily driver.
I am currently ordering the parts and the Daystar cradles was the first thing I ordered.

With your help confirming the part number of the airbag was the last part of the puzzle.

I am having trouble getting my hands on the F Harness - GM (85524825) the wiring harness for the switch. I have gone to 3 different places for the harness and they have all cancelled my order. Not sure what is going on there. Or if they have superseded it with something else.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back