New ZR2 owner here....might be an idiot...

ChadH83

Reaction score
Hello all! So I guess this is my introduction to the forums. I recently bought a 2024 Blue Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 and just love the truck man. It's the best Silverado I've owned but without a doubt the most fun to drive. So I've been wanting to start modding it. Well....I wanted exhaust and the MBRP system caught my eye. Me being an IDIOT I ordered the 21-23 system assuming 24 was the same. Well my shop installed it and it fit fine, everything lined up perfectly BUT they ended up with an extra plug, I'm assuming controlling the active exhaust that I didn't know Chevrolet had added for 24 and weren't on the install instructions. He ziptie'd it up out of the way but it threw a code a mile or two down the road. We scanned it and sure enough it was the exhaust control valve, I believe was the phrase/wording. They reset the code but is there a fix for this? I really don't want to have to remove this and put the stock back on but jumped the gun on this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: AXE
I have heard of a defeat device for the active exhaust on corvettes I would think you can find one for your truck .

The active exhaust is a new feature for 24. It might be a minute before someone comes out with a defeat module.

Active exhaust wasn’t loud enough for you?

The active exhaust is a new feature for 24. It might be a minute before someone comes out with a defeat module.

Active exhaust wasn’t loud enough for you?
I didn't really notice it tbh. I love the way this MBRP sounds. I don't mind the light for now but I'm wondering if it will cause the truck any running issues or for it to go into limp mode. I see Corsa has an exhaust for the 24 ZR2 so I'm wondering if they have a fix or bypass.

Update:

Got in touch with the sales guy at MBRP. They were not aware of it but said they are gonna get back with on a fix. Truck runs great, sounds great, but just threw a light and sadly no remote start right now. He believes the same one they just got the Vette will work with this one.

Anyone interested in buying an exhaust for a 2024 needs to realize that the systems for 2022-2023 will not work. I spoke to Corsa about this when ordering mine and they told me they are working on a modification to their new exhaust specifically to accommodate for this new control valve. They stated that GM never told any of the exhaust manufacturers of this change and that it caught many by surprise. Hopefully, you will find a defeat module, but I doubt any are available now as it's so new. Hopefully, the Vette one will work too.

Anyone interested in buying an exhaust for a 2024 needs to realize that the systems for 2022-2023 will not work. I spoke to Corsa about this when ordering mine and they told me they are working on a modification to their new exhaust specifically to accommodate for this new control valve. They stated that GM never told any of the exhaust manufacturers of this change and that it caught many by surprise. Hopefully, you will find a defeat module, but I doubt any are available now as it's so new. Hopefully, the Vette one will work too.
When did you speak with Corsa? They are now showing 2024 6.2L for sale on their site so I'm wondering if it's an oversight or only for the ones not featuring active exhaust.

We're in almost exactly the same situation. I went with AWE. JustBoltOns.com and RealTruck.com sales people thought the AWE 22-23 was compatible with 24, but it's not. I'll stay tuned to see if there's a defeat module or other solution. No remote start in the winter sucks.

We're in almost exactly the same situation. I went with AWE. JustBoltOns.com and RealTruck.com sales people thought the AWE 22-23 was compatible with 24, but it's not. I'll stay tuned to see if there's a defeat module or other solution. No remote start in the winter sucks.
That sucks man and I feel your pain. Have you noticed any other issues you've experienced? I'd assume it should run just the same only with a check engine light. I contact Borla and they said they are working on it but sounded like their new systems would "incorporate" some kind of valve. I'm not really wanting that just something that plugs in and removed the light/restores other functionality.

Out of curiosity also, are you gonna stick with it even if a solution is a few months away?

When did you speak with Corsa? They are now showing 2024 6.2L for sale on their site so I'm wondering if it's an oversight or only for the ones not featuring active exhaust.
About a week and half ago when I ordered mine. He actually told me they just found out the 24 was different and that they are going back to the drawing board to design around it. I would call them and ask. Corsa is an awesome exhaust.

I'm surprised so many are changing it already. In sport mode did the GM exhaust still not sound good? I thought them adding active exhaust was a nice addition. I like my exhaust to sound good, but being able to tone it down when you want. Seems like that would be pretty handy.

I'm surprised so many are changing it already. In sport mode did the GM exhaust still not sound good? I thought them adding active exhaust was a nice addition. I like my exhaust to sound good, but being able to tone it down when you want. Seems like that would be pretty handy.
Maybe if you are tying to make a shitty exhaust sound better it's still shitty :unsure:

Maybe if you are tying to make a shitty exhaust sound better it's still shitty :unsure:
Maybe. Can you not just do a muffler swap on these and maintain the exhaust valve? Or is the system built into the muffler? All I did to my 1500 was weld in a Borla Atak muffler. Mine sounded awesome. I got compliments on it all the time. I did the same on the 6.6HD. I just had a magnaflow put in it. only cost 200 bucks, lol. It sounds good also.

Reactions: AXE
Maybe. Can you not just do a muffler swap on these and maintain the exhaust valve? Or is the system built into the muffler? All I did to my 1500 was weld in a Borla Atak muffler. Mine sounded awesome. I got compliments on it all the time. I did the same on the 6.6HD. I just had a magnaflow put in it. only cost 200 bucks, lol. It sounds good also.
The exhaust valve is ahead of the muffler.

I would hope GM could get it right as they have had active exhaust on the Corvette for years. My wife changes hers from sport, touring and track and you can really tell a difference.

I would hope GM could get it right as they have had active exhaust on the Corvette for years. My wife changes hers from sport, touring and track and you can really tell a difference.
I can definitely hear the difference between normal and sport with the 2024 active exhaust on the 6.2L. It’s much more aggressive, but I do appreciate the normal mode when entering/exiting the neighborhood.

After going back and forth with my wife, I'm going back to stock. I did love the sound at first but got old fast. It's LOUD on cold start and at 7AM every morning my neighborhood can't like it and I've got two small kids. I think I'm good with the stock exhaust, no check engine light, and remote start being functional again. I might revisit exhaust when companies have our new stuff down. Just hope the exhaust shop can get the stock back on there just like before.

After going back and forth with my wife, I'm going back to stock. I did love the sound at first but got old fast. It's LOUD on cold start and at 7AM every morning my neighborhood can't like it and I've got two small kids. I think I'm good with the stock exhaust, no check engine light, and remote start being functional again. I might revisit exhaust when companies have our new stuff down. Just hope the exhaust shop can get the stock back on there just like before.
A few thoughts. First off, any good shop should have zero issues reinstalling your stock muffler. Some additional pipe and welds and you should be back in action. I believe CORSA has this down as does Borla. If you are looking for an exhaust that sounds amazing, and quiet at start up, you will need to add a resonator to calm the cold start. I can guarantee you that no manufacturer of exhaust systems will have a unit that isn't "loud" at start up. There are things that you can do to soften or mitigate the noise though.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back