New ZR2 owner here....might be an idiot...

A few thoughts. First off, any good shop should have zero issues reinstalling your stock muffler. Some additional pipe and welds and you should be back in action. I believe CORSA has this down as does Borla. If you are looking for an exhaust that sounds amazing, and quiet at start up, you will need to add a resonator to calm the cold start. I can guarantee you that no manufacturer of exhaust systems will have a unit that isn't "loud" at start up. There are things that you can do to soften or mitigate the noise through.
I’ve always been good with “loud” but what we’re dealing with is more in line with that roar Godzilla makes to let you know he’s pissed off. lol

All joking aside I am looking at resonators myself to try to tame the beast a bit in the mornings.

I’ve always been good with “loud” but what we’re dealing with is more in line with that roar Godzilla makes to let you know he’s pissed off. lol

All joking aside I am looking at resonators myself to try to tame the beast a bit in the mornings.
Resonators can be your friend :)

Stock exhaust is back on and man I'm happy. No more check engine light either. Only issue the guy ran into was he had to add some pipe before the muffler and a few bolts and stuff were missing but it's great now. I had one rattle but it was the drivers side tip or "turn down" resting against the tow package or body. I moved it a little and it's all good now. Lesson learned.

A few thoughts. First off, any good shop should have zero issues reinstalling your stock muffler. Some additional pipe and welds and you should be back in action. I believe CORSA has this down as does Borla. If you are looking for an exhaust that sounds amazing, and quiet at start up, you will need to add a resonator to calm the cold start. I can guarantee you that no manufacturer of exhaust systems will have a unit that isn't "loud" at start up. There are things that you can do to soften or mitigate the noise though.
Magnaflow has entered the chat!

So I was a Ford guy and bought the 2023 ZR2. Love it. But the only complaint I have is that my truck does not like Apple Air Play. I do have a new iphone.

So I was a Ford guy and bought the 2023 ZR2. Love it. But the only complaint I have is that my truck does not like Apple Air Play. I do have a new iphone.
What iOS are you running? My suggestion is to delete the phone from your radio and the radio from your phone. Do a hard restart of your iPhone and then go to connections and repair via BT. Make sure your CarPlay is turned on.

So we all make mistakes. I haven't really modded trucks since the cat eye days(had an 04 Silverado). I drove a Z71 Tahoe 2012 for a decade as a family mobile for a part and just didn't change anything. Kids are older now and with this truck, the bug bit me HARD. I jumped the gun on the exhaust but more importantly the features of the truck and I assumed a lot and we all know what that means. My father in law has a 23 Denali and I saw it had Sport Mode but didn't change much as they don't have the valve to my knowledge and like I stated I "assumed" that's what my truck had not realizing and doing research to know it was an actual feature but more importantly a GOOD feature. After reinstalling the stock exhaust I've got a chance to play around with it and I wish so much I'd read and checked this out. For my neighborhood's sake and to fill those "urges" of hearing that 6.2L it works more than fine. No aftermarket was even needed.

After all it was an expensive mistake but even at my age those still occur, yay. Live and learn. Decided to slow the modding bug and read more, research more, and enjoy the truck. I can say without a doubt it's the best truck/most fun truck I've ever owned. Appreciate this forum as well and look forward to hanging out. Cheers to 2024 and hope you all have a great one!! (Sorry for the novel :ROFLMAO:)

So we all make mistakes. I haven't really modded trucks since the cat eye days(had an 04 Silverado). I drove a Z71 Tahoe 2012 for a decade as a family mobile for a part and just didn't change anything. Kids are older now and with this truck, the bug bit me HARD. I jumped the gun on the exhaust but more importantly the features of the truck and I assumed a lot and we all know what that means. My father in law has a 23 Denali and I saw it had Sport Mode but didn't change much as they don't have the valve to my knowledge and like I stated I "assumed" that's what my truck had not realizing and doing research to know it was an actual feature but more importantly a GOOD feature. After reinstalling the stock exhaust I've got a chance to play around with it and I wish so much I'd read and checked this out. For my neighborhood's sake and to fill those "urges" of hearing that 6.2L it works more than fine. No aftermarket was even needed.

After all it was an expensive mistake but even at my age those still occur, yay. Live and learn. Decided to slow the modding bug and read more, research more, and enjoy the truck. I can say without a doubt it's the best truck/most fun truck I've ever owned. Appreciate this forum as well and look forward to hanging out. Cheers to 2024 and hope you all have a great one!! (Sorry for the novel :ROFLMAO:)
Happy New Year, Chad!

Can you put a resistor in place of the valve? The BCM (or whatever ecm its connected to) is probably just telling you the valve isn't there and sending a code to alert you. A high watt resistor could replicate the missing valve. I've done this in the past with other components as long as whatever you are trying to replicate isn't addressable.

Last edited:
Can you put a resistor in place of the valve? The BCM (or whatever ecm its connected to) is probably just telling you the valve isn't there and sending a code to alert you. A high watt resistor could replicate the missing valve. I've done this in the past with other components as long as whatever you are trying to replicate isn't addressable.
I know they make something like this for replacing magnetic ride shocks on Tahoes when you switch them over to conventional shocks or coil overs.

I know they make something like this for replacing magnetic ride shocks on Tahoes when you switch them over to conventional shocks or coil overs.
Ya that was a quick cheap fix back in the day. These days with LIN bus, fast and slow CAN bus, monitoring voltage on the network circuits and such, its probably getting harder to trick the technology. Sucks

What is this resistor witchcraft you speak of? I am...not electrical savvy, but I do have some friends that are. How do I explain to them what I'm trying to do? I love my AWE exhaust, but I hate the orange cluster light...

Reactions: AXE
What is this resistor witchcraft you speak of? I am...not electrical savvy, but I do have some friends that are. How do I explain to them what I'm trying to do? I love my AWE exhaust, but I hate the orange cluster light...
You want the vehicles wiring harness to think it sees a load on it. You do need help from someone that understands electronics as you can't just use any resistor value or wattage.

You will have to look at a wiring diagram and get some specs on the hardware; like SC Guy said you want the resistor to have the same value (ohm's) as the valve at steady state so the digical magic box thinks its still there. A low wattage resistor might not take the constant power being injected into it to 'actuate' it. But I imagine that you wont be able to do this now that I think about it. The OEM valve is probably not just on\off, but linear, and probably sends a position feedback signal back to the truck on a 5 vdc loop I imagine, which would be separate from the control signal which would be a 12 vdc. The valve probably has 4+ wires hanging off of it if this is the case.

Ugh... forget I mentioned any of this......

I bet within a decade we wont even be able to swap out headlights or change oil

You will have to look at a wiring diagram and get some specs on the hardware; like SC Guy said you want the resistor to have the same value (ohm's) as the valve at steady state so the digical magic box thinks its still there. A low wattage resistor might not take the constant power being injected into it to 'actuate' it. But I imagine that you wont be able to do this now that I think about it. The OEM valve is probably not just on\off, but linear, and probably sends a position feedback signal back to the truck on a 5 vdc loop I imagine, which would be separate from the control signal which would be a 12 vdc. The valve probably has 4+ wires hanging off of it if this is the case.

Ugh... forget I mentioned any of this......

I bet within a decade we wont even be able to swap out headlights or change oil
Actually, I think it may just be wide open or fully closed. No need for the valve to change position other than 0% or 100% since all it's doing is making more noise. I don't believe there is any variability to the switch other than to toggle the valve on or off. Without seeing one, hard to say, but I think it's just on/off like you originally thought.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back