New ZR2 - What's that smell?

BG'sZee

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought my bad-ass ZR2 a few weeks ago, and love it. North sky blue, comfortable, solid, powerful, easily modded -a damn fine mo-chine.
Help out a newbie: there is an odd smell coming from under my Zee. Smells are hard to describe - let me try...imagine driving down a steep mountain pass behind some Semi trucks - that brake smell in the air as you get to the bottom of the pass - brakes heating up. That's what I smell from the left and rear of my truck. There is no brake pull, no drift, no brake squeal or noise - no color change to the disc (like a dragging pad would heat up the disc). Parking brake works fine. No obvious fluid leaks - no spots on the ground.
List of possibilities in my mind - brakes, a fluid leak (tranny? diff?), something in the exhaust or cat, something accidentally stuck on the exhaust at factory?
ZR2 has 120 miles - still using my other car...
Just new truck smell?
2023 ZR2

ZR2a (2).jpg

Last edited:
I smelled something like oil when I first picked my truck up, I assume it was just coating on the exhaust manifolds to prevent rusting when the parts sit before assembly. Went away after a couple days. Nothing like burning brakes though.

Hello all, I bought my bad-ass ZR2 a few weeks ago, and love it. North sky blue, comfortable, solid, powerful, easily modded -a damn fine mo-chine.
Help out a newbie: there is an odd smell coming from under my Zee. Smells are hard to describe - let me try...imagine driving down a steep mountain pass behind some Semi trucks - that brake smell in the air as you get to the bottom of the pass - brakes heating up. That's what I smell from the left and rear of my truck. There is no brake pull, no drift, no brake squeal or noise - no color change to the disc (like a dragging pad would heat up the disc). Parking brake works fine. No obvious fluid leaks - no spots on the ground.
List of possibilities in my mind - brakes, a fluid leak (tranny? diff?), something in the exhaust or cat, something accidentally stuck on the exhaust at factory?
Just new truck smell?
2023 ZR2

View attachment 4788
Normal.

Just new truck smell?
2023 ZR2

View attachment 4788
We gotta form a North Sky Blue club....seem to be the oddballs. I love the color.

Yeah just some of the metals buring off residual oil and chemicals from manufacturing. I smelled it on the test drive in my ZR2 and wife's Tahoe, thought it was on fire. Probably did it for the first few drives.

Just new truck smell?
2023 ZR2

View attachment 4788
Well I had that same smell….. on my new zr2 about 150 kms in, I found out what it was.. transfer case. Had to replace it 9 days in the shop.

Just new truck smell?
2023 ZR2

View attachment 4788
It’s a sticker on the muffler. It burns off and stops smelling after a few miles.

I smelled something like oil when I first picked my truck up, I assume it was just coating on the exhaust manifolds to prevent rusting when the parts sit before assembly. Went away after a couple days. Nothing like burning brakes though
I smelled the same thing, it goes away once you break in.
Yeah just some of the metals buring off residual oil and chemicals from manufacturing. I smelled it on the test drive in my ZR2 and wife's Tahoe, thought it was on fire. Probably did it for the first few drives.
Well I had that same smell….. on my new zr2 about 150 kms in, I found out what it was.. transfer case. Had to replace it 9 days in the shop.
Dayum! I hope that is not the case with my Zee. I'm sorry for your misfortune - and hope that shit stays up in Canada!
It’s a sticker on the muffler. It burns off and stops smelling after a few miles.
Thank you, everyone. Agree that something coated or stuck on manifolds, cats, or mufflers is probable source.
On Sunday I went up into the mountains and when I parked at the top, some dude says - "Hey Dude! You're riding your e-brake!" Again with the heated up brakes smell.
I've had it checked at the Service Dept - 1st time about 2 weeks ago, no such smell at dealer - started to stink-it-up again about 15 minutes on the way home. Brought it back in today, and Service Manager agrees with some coating burning off. So I'll give it 1000 miles and keep a sharp eye out for smoke or worsening stank (mutter a prayer for my transfer case).
Again - thanks to all - and I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
We gotta form a North Sky Blue club....seem to be the oddballs. I love the color.
OK - you're President. I'll be secretary - first order of business: send your dues to me! Or in lieu of dues, we start an NSB photo thread in the Photos Forum.

Last edited:
Update - after a few weeks of conservative driving (still using my other car), the smell had gone away. Today was the first time driving the ZR2 to work - about 25 miles each way, with freeway driving. While waiting at the light at the bottom of the off-ramp - there's the smell again - much stronger than before. After work, I started it up and the smell was back super strong right after start-up. I crawled under and couldn't peg it to the engine bay, or near the tranny or dif.
After getting home (driving about 15 miles up a pretty good hill), the smell is definitely coming from the tail pipes. Still smells like brakes / clutch - but now with a kinda sweet smell.
Any ideas?
I'll bring it in to one of our bigger Chevy dealers in Salt Lake next week - drop it off and tell them to find the smell and fix it. I've owned a few new cars through my looooong life, and never smelled this before.
Also, finally laid into the gas a bit tonight - holy shit, this thing is punchy - alot of torque!

Update - after a few weeks of conservative driving (still using my other car), the smell had gone away. Today was the first time driving the ZR2 to work - about 25 miles each way, with freeway driving. While waiting at the light at the bottom of the off-ramp - there's the smell again - much stronger than before. After work, I started it up and the smell was back super strong right after start-up. I crawled under and couldn't peg it to the engine bay, or near the tranny or dif.
After getting home (driving about 15 miles up a pretty good hill), the smell is definitely coming from the tail pipes. Still smells like brakes / clutch - but now with a kinda sweet smell.
Any ideas?
I'll bring it in to one of our bigger Chevy dealers in Salt Lake next week - drop it off and tell them to find the smell and fix it. I've owned a few new cars through my looooong life, and never smelled this before.
Also, finally laid into the gas a bit tonight - holy shit, this thing is punchy - alot of torque!
as president of NSB club, i support your decisions.

Any ideas?
Might be burning coolant! When you say sweet, that's where sweet comes from, so definitely an issue.

Update - smell gone after 2000 miles. Must've been some adhesive or some shit on the exhaust. Love my ZR2
Now, if I can just figure out the passenger engine bay squeak, I'd be happy as clam - why the hell are clams happy...

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back