Oil Consumption

AXE

Reaction score
I changed oil at 1500 miles., now have 4500. I've had to add a quart of oil to get it from bottom of dipstick to the top of hatching. Never thought it registered as full after the change. Seemed a little low at about 3500 miles.

Not sure what to think. Might have been due to running harder after my exhaust system was added. She's seen a lot more time 3500 to 5500 rpms than normal.

I'm about to do my 5000 mile change, so I'll keep an eye on it after that.

Anyone else seeing oil consumption?

I changed oil at 1500 miles., now have 4500. I've had to add a quart of oil to get it from bottom of dipstick to the top of hatching. Never thought it registered as full after the change. Seemed a little low at about 3500 miles.

Not sure what to think. Might have been due to running harder after my exhaust system was added. She's seen a lot more time 3500 to 5500 rpms than normal.

all good here.

I'm currently at 21K mi and noticed oil being a bit low at random checks somewhere around 11K but may have had oil consumption issue prior. Made the dealer aware and at around 16,500 had the oil changed with the service department beginning a mandated oil check at dealer every 1K mi to the next change, 5K. Each of the last 4 dealer oil checks was 1/2 - 3/4 qt low. Dealer submits info to GM then instructs dealer how to proceed. New engine is an option so who knows how it will play out. No issues other than this one.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I'm about to have the dealer do my free change tomorrow. Then I'm hitting the road for a 3000 mile round trip. It'll be a good test I guess. I'll try to check it every 500 miles and see what is happening.

I'm at the dealer for my freebie oil change. My service advisor made a note of my consumption which I've estimated is about 1 quart in 2000 miles. He looked up the spec and it said 1 quart per 2000 miles is current spec for this motor. He said 1 quart per 3000 miles was considered normal in the past for the 6.2L.

I'm not terribly concerned at this point, just something I've noticed in last 6 weeks. My wife's 6.2L.Tahoe seems spot on full with similar use and miles.

Last edited:
I just did a 4000 mile round trip running mostly interstates and highways at higher speeds for 3200 miles and country roads and trails for about 800 miles.

I changed oil just before I left. I added 1/2 quart at about 2200 miles as it was a little low on dipstick hatching. I just did an oil change today at 4000 miles after getting home and it was also reading a little low on dipstick hatching.

I can confirm now that I'm using 1 quart of oil at about 3000-4000 miles. So call it, 8 oz per 1000 miles. I drained all the oil into a clean pan and then poured it into two clear 1 gallon jugs (see picture). I came up about 1/2 quart short, after adding a 1/2 quart.

FWIW, it seems like the dipstick hatching represents about 1 quart of oil. Also, the pan seems very sensitive to level ground as it seems to give me a little different reading rev time. I rotate the dipstick handle to get it covered evenly. I check it for level across the radiator shroud and try to be level front to back. This picture of dipstick is about 1/2 quart low.

I'm not too worried about it, but if your gonna do long oil change intervals, I would check it every 500 miles after 3000. I'll probably just do 3000 mile intervals an call it good.

Attachments

• 20231026_153823.jpg
    20231026_153823.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231014_085108.jpg
    20231014_085108.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I just did my 4th oil change a couple days ago. I haven't been burning any oil. Atleast not enough to notice. But I've seen several posts about it in other groups. At4, trailboss, ect. It's not a ton of them, but some seem to use a little oil. GM does consider 1 quart per 2k miles with in spec. The 3.0 is actually shipped from the factory with an extra quart of oil because of their excessive consumption during break in.

Reactions: AXE
My wife's escalade consumes about enough oil to send the check oil level light on if we wait 4000 miles, the other 3 trucks we have are 6.2s as well and no consumption issues.

But. . . . .The engine on my 23 HighCountry blew towing an empty trailer up i70 in near black dragon in Utah. Engine felt like it was struggling half way up and it wouldn't down shift. Guages started tripping out and I kept watching the oil pressure. Finally it felt like it had no power so I pulled over. Hit the onstar button and they "diagnosed" it over the air. Said it was fine to drive. Waited about 15 mins before I turned it back on. Moved about 100 feet and the truck turned its self off. Had it towed to the nearest dealer and they said the engine was blown. They said the battery was faulty and could've had a hand in the engine failing. Waiting on a new engine to be put in.

My wife's escalade consumes about enough oil to send the check oil level light on if we wait 4000 miles, the other 3 trucks we have are 6.2s as well and no consumption issues.

But. . . . .The engine on my 23 HighCountry blew towing an empty trailer up i70 in near black dragon in Utah. Engine felt like it was struggling half way up and it wouldn't down shift. Guages started tripping out and I kept watching the oil pressure. Finally it felt like it had no power so I pulled over. Hit the onstar button and they "diagnosed" it over the air. Said it was fine to drive. Waited about 15 mins before I turned it back on. Moved about 100 feet and the truck turned its self off. Had it towed to the nearest dealer and they said the engine was blown. They said the battery was faulty and could've had a hand in the engine failing. Waiting on a new engine to be put in.
I know that area. Man that sucks, especially while pulling a trailer.

That's crazy! So that just happened recently? I swear with all these electronics it just makes them harder to operate and certainly doesn't help with protection.

I check my oil fairly frequently. First time I've ever seen noticeable consumption with relativley low miles. The only exception is one time I ran my diesel according to DIC oil life % and it had about 7k miles and it was down a bit. I just went back to 5k intervals and never seen it again and oil life would be 35%.

@AXE A little over a month ago.

We used to go off the % indicator but didn't want to run into any issues so every 4k to 4.5k we schedule them.

@scubatech Very scenic area but the situation sucked lol.

I go by the DIC, But I always change it at around 35%. Like AXE said that ends up being around 5500+or-. Did that on my Duramax for 11 years and never had a problem. That's what I've been doing on the ZR2 other than the first oil change. I did that one at 2800 miles. I usually check the oil around 60-70% on the DIC. My duramax didn't really use oil, But if I towed a lot it would burn a little, which is normal. So doing a check around the middle always seemed to work out. To me using the DIC is way easier than tracking miles. When I see 60 something I check it. When I see 30 something it's about time to change it.

It would be nice if you could set your own reminders for maintenance in the DIC. I just scroll through it ever so often and have gotten pretty good at just kind of knowing when it's about time. But there was a time or two it snuck up on me on my old truck and I let it get to like 28%. So I would just drop everything and change it right then. It would be awesome to be able to set a notification at say 38%. That way when it went off, I'd just know I needed to change it sometime that week when it was convenient. Oil change is pretty quick, But I like to rotate the tires at the same time and every other oil change new air filter. On the duramax it was also a fuel filter in the mix.

I go by the DIC, But I always change it at around 35%. Like AXE said that ends up being around 5500+or-. Did that on my Duramax for 11 years and never had a problem. That's what I've been doing on the ZR2 other than the first oil change. I did that one at 2800 miles. I usually check the oil around 60-70% on the DIC. My duramax didn't really use oil, But if I towed a lot it would burn a little, which is normal. So doing a check around the middle always seemed to work out. To me using the DIC is way easier than tracking miles. When I see 60 something I check it. When I see 30 something it's about time to change it.

It would be nice if you could set your own reminders for maintenance in the DIC. I just scroll through it ever so often and have gotten pretty good at just kind of knowing when it's about time. But there was a time or two it snuck up on me on my old truck and I let it get to like 28%. So I would just drop everything and change it right then. It would be awesome to be able to set a notification at say 38%. That way when it went off, I'd just know I needed to change it sometime that week when it was convenient. Oil change is pretty quick, But I like to rotate the tires at the same time and every other oil change new air filter. On the duramax it was also a fuel filter in the mix.
I get a great deal of satisfaction changing my oil. I am so pissed about not having a way to service transmission easily.

I love crawling under there and checking out all the hard parts. I've occasionally found loose bolts and nuts. I also retorque my lift kits every so often.

Most people haven't ever seen the underside of their equipment.

I get a great deal of satisfaction changing my oil. I am so pissed about not having a way to service transmission easily.

I love crawling under there and checking out all the hard parts. I've occasionally found loose bolts and nuts. I also retorque my lift kits every so often.

Most people haven't ever seen the underside of their equipment.
I just simply don't trust other places to do it. Last several trucks, SxS, motorcycles, ect I've owned never went back to the dealer or anywhere else for routine maintenance. Not even for the free change. I've got friends that are mechanics for various brands at dealerships and shops. They have all told me while laughing don't let them guys do it. The kids doing fluid changes are typically the newest guys in the shop. That or it's the guys they can't trust to do much else. Literally could have been hired yesterday with no experience. I'm not a mechanic by any means. But I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Above all It's my vehicle/money. So I know I'll at least take the time and do it right.

One of my oldest son's friends got hired on at a local Honda dealership a few years ago. You guessed it doing fluid changes and tire rotations. Good kid, he has since took training courses and moved up the ladder several rungs. He jokes about it now. His first few months on the job as a 19 year old kid with zero experience. Heck he got moved up almost instantly just cause he showed up and put effort in.

The transmission bugs me also. Bone head move. You should be able to pull a dipstick and check the level and see the color/smell of the fluid. I'm assuming the HD still has a dipstick and the spin on filter?

I just simply don't trust other places to do it. Last several trucks, SxS, motorcycles, ect I've owned never went back to the dealer or anywhere else for routine maintenance. Not even for the free change. I've got friends that are mechanics for various brands at dealerships and shops. They have all told me while laughing don't let them guys do it. The kids doing fluid changes are typically the newest guys in the shop. That or it's the guys they can't trust to do much else. Literally could have been hired yesterday with no experience. I'm not a mechanic by any means. But I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Above all It's my vehicle/money. So I know I'll at least take the time and do it right.

One of my oldest son's friends got hired on at a local Honda dealership a few years ago. You guessed it doing fluid changes and tire rotations. Good kid, he has since took training courses and moved up the ladder several rungs. He jokes about it now. His first few months on the job as a 19 year old kid with zero experience. Heck he got moved up almost instantly just cause he showed up and put effort in.

The transmission bugs me also. Bone head move. You should be able to pull a dipstick and check the level and see the color/smell of the fluid. I'm assuming the HD still has a dipstick and the spin on filter?
I agree with you and Axe. I like servicing my truck as well. I never do the free services either. k & N makes a dipstick for the F150. I looked into it. I would imagine being a Chevy that they would have one available.
I was a mechanic back in the carburetor era. Also my friend and I had a side business on Saturdays for about 10 years doing differentials & hot rod engine swaps, etc. There were numerous times customers called us about a puddle of oil under their vehicle after a service! Imagine that! Usually always a lose filter or drain plug. On a trans service we are at their mercy & honesty as far as if they changed the fluid or not. It's not a comfortable feeling for sure.

I am going to be doing all of my oil changes and tire rotations for many of the reasons that you guys are discussing. Are there any recommendations on sites with the best deal on oil and filters or just use a local auto store?

And has anyone found a good oil filter wrench that does not slip when removing the filter like the traditional ones with a metal band that is adjustable?

I am going to be doing all of my oil changes and tire rotations for many of the reasons that you guys are discussing. Are there any recommendations on sites with the best deal on oil and filters or just use a local auto store?

And has anyone found a good oil filter wrench that does not slip when removing the filter like the traditional ones with a metal band that is adjustable?
It's hard to beat Walmart for oil prices. Wix is a great filter. The stock Delco one is made by Wix, I think! I use oil filter pliers for a non slip easy removal. I usually buy the filter at O'Reilly since I take my dirty oil there for disposal. O'Reilly will have the filter pliers as well. Oil type is a preference. I like Mobile !. Oil type is a bag worms argument that no -one ever wins. For a 6.2 liter, be sure it's Dexos 1 rated.

Most Member Reactions

Back