Oil Consumption

It's hard to beat Walmart for oil prices. Wix is a great filter. The stock Delco one is made by Wix, I think! I use oil filter pliers for a non slip easy removal. I usually buy the filter at O'Reilly since I take my dirty oil there for disposal. O'Reilly will have the filter pliers as well. Oil type is a preference. I like Mobile !. Oil type is a bag worms argument that no -one ever wins. For a 6.2 liter, be sure it's Dexos 1 rated.
Thanks for the recommendations. I’m also a fan of Mobile 1. Will check out the filter pliers. Thanks!

Yep, I get my oil at O'Reilly too and if you have the Walmart app they'll match prices with Walmart so long as it's in stock at Walmart. If O'Reilly doesn't have what I need, I buy at Walmart.

The Mobil 1 212 filter is supposed to be compatible, but it's shorter than the AC Delco PF 63. I've cut open a few of the PF 63s and they seem well made with lots of filter media. I'll probably stick with them.

This is an easy truck to do oil changes. Plenty of room to crawl under and the drain and filter are easy to access. Only get a small amount of oil on the hardware under filter.

I just cut this filter open and the media looked good and fairly clean at 8500 miles. That's the 3rd change. I could see a couple of shiny flakes, but nothing like the first change at 1500 miles.

Attachments

• 20231029_113812.jpg
    20231029_113812.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231029_113825.jpg
    20231029_113825.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 10
I am going to be doing all of my oil changes and tire rotations for many of the reasons that you guys are discussing. Are there any recommendations on sites with the best deal on oil and filters or just use a local auto store?

And has anyone found a good oil filter wrench that does not slip when removing the filter like the traditional ones with a metal band that is adjustable?
I'll buy it at local places when they run sales. Places like Advanced, autozone, ect. But actually every one on the ZR2 has been from Amazon. They had the oil on sale for like 22 bucks per 5qt jug. Ac Delco filters were around 8 bucks. I stocked up and haven't bought. anymore yet. Keep in mind you should keep your receipts while under warranty. Plus side with online is you can pull up the invoice anytime you want. If you buy local just scan the receipt with your phone and save it for your records.

I have pliers, strap wrenches and sockets that I've accumulated over time. The metal strap wrench actually seems to work best to me on the ZR2. If you did it last. It shouldn't be that tight anyway.

Most Member Reactions

Back