Opinions on Tires - Factory Replacement size

I think most of the heavy large lug offroad tires I've had start to get noisy around 30k miles.

I usually pull them and sell them for $50-100 each and start fresh. Fairly easy to sell with some tread if they are in good condition.
I have 9K and I am already feeling to see cabin noise going up. Not sure if cold weather is playing culprit.

I've never seen a tire I didn't like to change by 30k. I can usually sell my used ones for $50-100 each and pay for one new tire or so. Best thing you can do on a vehicle is change tires and shocks early.

Last edited:
I don't own a ZR2 - yet. I've been looking. But the one thing that turned my wife off completely was the amount of noise. Even I found it rather noisy. Part of that can be attributed to the Borla after-market exhaust installed on the truck I drove. But the stock MTs contributed significantly. They also contributed to a rather rough ride.
As a result, I was interested in this string. I was hoping that someone might have tried the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. I've had 2 or 3 sets of those, including on an Avalanche Z71, and they were quiet, smooth and responsive. They're not as hard-core off-road as the MTs. But, if you're not doing any serious rock-crawling, they should meet most of your needs. I've taken them down trails and across rocky creek beds with no issue. I'd also be interested to see if anyone has tried the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT or the Michelin LTX A/T 2.

Reactions: AXE
I don't own a ZR2 - yet. I've been looking. But the one thing that turned my wife off completely was the amount of noise. Even I found it rather noisy. Part of that can be attributed to the Borla after-market exhaust installed on the truck I drove. But the stock MTs contributed significantly. They also contributed to a rather rough ride.
As a result, I was interested in this string. I was hoping that someone might have tried the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. I've had 2 or 3 sets of those, including on an Avalanche Z71, and they were quiet, smooth and responsive. They're not as hard-core off-road as the MTs. But, if you're not doing any serious rock-crawling, they should meet most of your needs. I've taken them down trails and across rocky creek beds with no issue. I'd also be interested to see if anyone has tried the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT or the Michelin LTX A/T 2.
I didn't run the MTs on my 1500, I swapped to Toyo Trail RTs and they have low noise and handle great. Running 37 psi cold. Hardly look used at 10k miles, but the 295s are spendy.

I still have the Territory MTs ony 2500 and I think they are quiet and ride great with only 2000 miles. I am already seeing the edges of the front wear and there are some small chips in the lugs. I don't think they'll last long on this 9000lb truck.

You're the only one I've seen comment that the ride is rough. You might be better off with a high country model truck. If you don't like the suspension and if want a more road oriented AT tire, it would be a better value.

I drove the High Country and the ZR2 and I think the ZR2 is more comfortable on the road than the HC.

After 4 months and a few thousand miles, the DuraTrac RT’s are as quiet as the day I got them. This is a redesigned tire that has much better on road characteristics than the older DuraTracs. They also work fantastic off road. So far I’m pleased.

I've got 22k on my ZR2 and 22k on my HC both are 23's. My ZR2 is really noisy now at this millage.

At this point my HC feels alot more refined in highway and normal driving. When I first bought them they were only months apart and I preferred the ZR2 then. Both are on original tires currently.

So my baby needs some new shoes.... looking for opinions. I'm just going with the factory replacement size. Down to these four:

• Factory replacement Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

The Territory MT are a C load range, the DuraTracs are a D range, and the BFG and Falkens are E ranges and about 10lbs heavier per tire.

I don't take the truck deep into the woods or desert racing, but I do go off road a lot...

Thoughts?
Just saw something on the K03's coming out. Looks interesting..........

I didn't run the MTs on my 1500, I swapped to Toyo Trail RTs and they have low noise and handle great. Running 37 psi cold. Hardly look used at 10k miles, but the 295s are spendy.

I still have the Territory MTs ony 2500 and I think they are quiet and ride great with only 2000 miles. I am already seeing the edges of the front wear and there are some small chips in the lugs. I don't think they'll last long on this 9000lb truck.

You're the only one I've seen comment that the ride is rough. You might be better off with a high country model truck. If you don't like the suspension and if want a more road oriented AT tire, it would be a better value.
I pick up my ZR2 tomorrow. At this time, though, I can't quite swing a new set of tires. Hopefully next year. In the meantime, I'll live with the MTs.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back