Opinions on Tires - Factory Replacement size

landpilot

Founding Member
Reaction score
So my baby needs some new shoes.... looking for opinions. I'm just going with the factory replacement size. Down to these four:

• Factory replacement Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

The Territory MT are a C load range, the DuraTracs are a D range, and the BFG and Falkens are E ranges and about 10lbs heavier per tire.

I don't take the truck deep into the woods or desert racing, but I do go off road a lot...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So my baby needs some new shoes.... looking for opinions. I'm just going with the factory replacement size. Down to these four:

• Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

The Territory MT are a C load range, the DuraTracs are a D range, and the BFG and Falkens are E ranges and about 10lbs heavier per tire.

I don't take the truck deep into the woods or desert racing, but I do go off road a lot...

Thoughts?
Toyo AT3

• Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

Thoughts?
curious as to how many miles you have on rig.....

Reactions: AXE

• Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

Thoughts?
Falken is my go tire now. I am going with the rough terrain this time instead of the A/T3W

I had the Duratracs on my 18 Colorado ZR2 and the noise didn’t get bad until I hit 40K. I was going to try the Wildpeaks, but traded up instead.

Falken is my go tire now. I am going with the rough terrain this time instead of the A/T3W
I run Falkens on my autocross car (73 Camaro Z28) but I've never run their off-road tires.

Depending upon your needs, I have a couple trucks with Nitto Ridge Grapplers zr2 1500 (swapped the stock tires when I picked it up at dealer and went with 285’s) and 2500hd (second set of 295’s) - my experience has been solid on road performance in all conditions and tremendous off road tire (farm, hunting, etc). They will get louder approaching end of life but not like the Goodyears.

I just took off a set of Toyo AT3 (305 55r20) off a 3500 SRW, I was not impressed with their on road performance in the rain (rear end would break loose at highway speeds) and had to really watch that truck. I went with the Falken Wildpeak’s - so far they seem like a solid option.

Hope that helps!

Falken Wildpeaks are very good for the money. They a 3 peak rated, so good all weather tires. I only ran them on my boy's Tacoma. They look good too!

Some guys say they don't hold up well on heavier trucks, probably ok on 1500, maybe not so good on 2500HD.

Most off road tires that have bigger lugs start getting noisy at 30k miles. I just start selling one at 30k now for $100 each. Pays for 1 new one.

So Goodyear has a new DuraTrac RT that I think I'm going to try. It's the next generation of the DuraTrac with several enhancements to help with noise plus the sidewalls are stronger and the siping has been improved for wet traction. Waiting for my buddy to get back from vacation so I can get them priced and ordered, but I'll post up pictures and impressions when I get them on.

So Goodyear has a new DuraTrac RT that I think I'm going to try. It's the next generation of the DuraTrac with several enhancements to help with noise plus the sidewalls are stronger and the siping has been improved for wet traction. Waiting for my buddy to get back from vacation so I can get them priced and ordered, but I'll post up pictures and impressions when I get them on.
Never been a Goodyear fanboy...but I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Got them put on this morning. So far (8 miles in lol) they are 1000% quieter on the interstate than the factory Wrangler Territory MTs. I'll put up a couple of pictures and post a follow-up after I get some miles on them. I do like the way they handle much better than the Territory's ever did.

IMG_3445.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg

Update: here are my week 1 observations:
  • Highway noise is almost gone, like I had a set of AT/HT tires on there. We'll see how long that lasts, but they are much quieter than the Territory MT's ever were, even when new. I can have a quiet conversation in the truck at 75-80mph, and I don't have to turn the radio up over halfway to be able to guess what's playing.
  • These tires have a load range of E, a speed rating of R (106mph), they weigh 59 lbs (9 lbs per tire heavier than the MT), and they are .6" wider than the Territory MT.
  • According to the truck's computer, my mileage has dropped about 3 mpg; I still need to do a real-world, hand calculation to verify.
  • The DuraTrac RT is 33.43" tall vs the Territory at 33.19" tall, so the DuraTrack is a little taller.. which is causing some issues with the speedometer being off by 2+ miles per hour. This is also probably driving some of the mileage differences.
  • No issues with rubbing (they aren't that much bigger than a Territory MT).
Anyone know where I can get a speedometer calibrator?

Good to see there's another good tire option that looks like an offroad tire.

I'm surprised you had noise issues with the Territory MTs, I've put 1000 miles on my 2500HD diesel and it's the quietest vehicle I've owned. Even better than my wife's 23 Tahoe with 22 inch Bridgestones which are noisy on some pavement.

I only ran the Territory MTs on my 1500 for about 300 miles. The Toyo RT Trails have a tad more noise, but 295s at 34.5 inches didn't seem to affect my mileage and speedo.

Last edited:
This is the first truck I have had with the Territory MT, had a Trail Boss with Duratrac and I thought they were more noisy. Had BFG AT KO on my last Trail Boss and they are good until you get about 30,000 miles, then they seemed to get more noisy. Fallen Wildpeak AT were the least noisy of the AT tires I have had...

I think most of the heavy large lug offroad tires I've had start to get noisy around 30k miles.

I usually pull them and sell them for $50-100 each and start fresh. Fairly easy to sell with some tread if they are in good condition.

I have done that in the past as well, seem to sell pretty easy in that price range. Not surprised given the status of some tires I see on trucks around here... Anything would be an upgrade to the worn out rubber they are running

Good to see there's another good tire option that looks like an offroad tire.

I'm surprised you had noise issues with the Territory MTs, I've put 1000 miles on my 2500HD diesel and it's the quietest vehicle I've owned. Even better than my wife's 23 Tahoe with 22 inch Bridgestones which are noisy on some pavement.

I only ran the Territory MTs on my 1500 for about 300 miles. The Toyo RT Trails have a tad more noise, but 295s at 34.5 inches didn't seem to affect my mileage and speedo.
Axe, my Territory MTs were quiet until about 22-23K miles, then the noise started, and by 30K they were roaring so loud my wife was complaining and I had to turn the phone up to about 2/3rds just to be able to hear it. Those tires were religiously rotated, had them road force balanced, always checked the tire pressures, and nothing seemed to help. I've got about 1500 miles on the DuraTrac RTs and they are still as quiet as the day I had them put on.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back