Premium or Regular Fuel ?

SeaHunt

Reaction score
The service advisor at my dealership told me that it was ok to run regular fuel even though premium fuel is suggested. Do any of you guys run regular fuel in your truck ? If you do, does the performance suffer ? Thanks !!!

The service advisor at my dealership told me that it was ok to run regular fuel even though premium fuel is suggested. Do any of you guys run regular fuel in your truck ? If you do, does the performance suffer ? Thanks !!!
Only premium for me. The ECU will pull timing and fuel, IMO. That's going to decrease HP. These computers are really good at doing this as well. I'm no expert, I just read a lot of things.

Only premium for me. The ECU will pull timing and fuel, IMO. That's going to decrease HP. These computers are really good at doing this as well. I'm no expert, I just read a lot of things.
I'm with you on this. Premium fuel in my area is almost 5.00 dollars a gallon but that's ok, I'll just bit the bullet and hope it goes down with a better administration in the future.

I always run premium. Chevy recommends a min of 91. Around here our premium is 93 usually. Some say it doesn't matter, but the engine is tuned for that min octane. I don't see the point in risking wear and tear on the pistons by running lower octane. Especially in the heat of summer. If I had to guess During winter running 89 is probably fine. Especially if you aren't towing or running it hard.

I came from a 6.6 duramax. So I'm use to diesel prices, 3 gallon oil changes and 45 dollar fuel filters every other oil change along with load E tires every 2 years because the truck weighs 4 tons unloaded. Lol, so a 1500 that requires premium isn't a big deal. I would have bought something else if it was.

I always run premium. Chevy recommends a min of 91. Around here our premium is 93 usually. Some say it doesn't matter, but the engine is tuned for that min octane. I don't see the point in risking wear and tear on the pistons by running lower octane. Especially in the heat of summer. If I had to guess During winter running 89 is probably fine. Especially if you aren't towing or running it hard.

I came from a 6.6 duramax. So I'm use to diesel prices, 3 gallon oil changes and 45 dollar fuel filters every other oil change along with load E tires every 2 years because the truck weighs 4 tons unloaded. Lol, so a 1500 that requires premium isn't a big deal. I would have bought something else if it was.
I totally agree with you. The premium around here in Naples Florida especially at Costco or Sams Club is also 93 octane, close to 5.00 a gallon. I just don't know why the service advisor would make such a statement that it would be ok to run regular on a normal basis. I guess he would want something to mess up and he could make commission on the repairs. I'll keep running premium like I have since day one. I just replaced the stock exhaust with a Magnaflow system which is a straight through Bullitt muffler and also went ahead and installed a K&N CAI. Hopefully my performance will improve somewhat.

I've run 87 and didn't notice any difference in performance or drivabilty. However I do think fuel mileage was little lower. I mostly run 91 around these parts. Fuel is watered down so much, not sure it matters.

I've run 87 and didn't notice any difference in performance or drivabilty. However I do think fuel mileage was little lower. I mostly run 91 around these parts. Fuel is watered down so much, not sure it matters.
I've done some reading and research and it does say your MPG will suffer so at the end of the day your not really saving that much.

Reactions: AXE
Only Premium (93) for me in Ohio, as I haven't seen 91 in the gas stations that I have been to.

I usually follow manufacturer recommendations on drive-train at least until under warranty. One may not see impact now but may be few years later.

I wouldn't go on hear-say, especially, by an individual (dealer service advisor or not) until it is explicitly in written and I am sure no one will give it in written as it will conflict with manufacturer recommendations.

I totally agree with you. The premium around here in Naples Florida especially at Costco or Sams Club is also 93 octane, close to 5.00 a gallon. I just don't know why the service advisor would make such a statement that it would be ok to run regular on a normal basis. I guess he would want something to mess up and he could make commission on the repairs. I'll keep running premium like I have since day one. I just replaced the stock exhaust with a Magnaflow system which is a straight through Bullitt muffler and also went ahead and installed a K&N CAI. Hopefully my performance will improve somewhat.
The service advisor probably didn’t actually know. His statement was likely based on his personal opinion, not a statement from Chevrolet. I highly doubt there was any malice in his statement. Their brains don’t think past lunch time, let alone about 100,000 miles from now when you might notice an issue related to octane level and come in for service😂 There’s a major lack of experience in the work force, along with workers that care. If you can’t find the official information from the manufacturer on your own ask your dealer personal for the documents regarding fuel, not their opinion. I put nothing but 87 in my 2015 Sierra All Terrain and I traded it in on my ZR2 with 160,000 miles. The only thing I ever did on the GMC was maintenance. Just run what makes you feel comfortable.

Only $7 south of Las Vegas at Last Chance!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230328_161050_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230328_161050_Gallery.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22
Man, those prices suck. At 7 a gallon I'd be tempted to alternate between 93 and 89 every other fill up. Assuming you don't run it down to E. Should work out the same as running 91

The ecm is supposed to pull timing if you are getting Pinging. So theoretically the motor is supposed to detect lower octane fuel and protect itself. Lol, but I just don't know how much faith I'd put in it. Gm can't figure out lifters or even get our radios to stop cutting out every time we crank up.

I've only run 93. It's not worth the long-term risk for me. I have a lifetime drive train warranty (if I get oil changes at the dealership) so I'm trying to follow manufacturers recommendations and not get screwed over by the fine print. I usually buy from Sam's and the price has varied by .40 cents higher per gallon to about .80 cents higher per gallon (since I got the ZR2 in late May).

In many states, you cannot get 93. If you can get 93, get 93. Here in FL, there is 87, 89, and 93. In many states there is 87, 89, and 91.
Correct. Here in the high country we have85, 87, 91, octane. The fuel companies claim that due to altitude, we can get by on lower octane fuel. I know in lower elevation my truck feels like it's got a supercharger on it. Our engines up here tend to reach their power peak at lower RPM than stated at sea level. Engines in Denver have about 15% less power typically. I used to live & breathe this stuff. But I don't really do it anymore so I'm a bit of a dinosaur with these modern electronics!

Those prices in that photo aren't typical, but in the western US there are plenty of stretches where you might be 100 miles between fuel sources. So these rural prices can get expensive. I used 87 on that fill up, because I figured the chances of getting good 93 wasn't great anyway.

I agree with @scubatech
1/4 mile runs at Bandimere Speeway outside of Denver are alot slower than sea level records

You can feel a bit of difference taking the truck to 12,000 and 13,000 ft trails.

We have 4 6.2s in the family and we only use 91 from Costco or shell. We have not had any engine issues at all.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back