Premium or Regular Fuel ?

I agree with @scubatech
1/4 mile runs at Bandimere Speeway outside of Denver are alot slower than sea level records

You can feel a bit of difference taking the truck to 12,000 and 13,000 ft trails.

We have 4 6.2s in the family and we only use 91 from Costco or shell. We have not had any engine issues at all.
Excellent, glad to hear that. Here in South Florida we have 93, you hardly see 91. I also use Costco and Sams Club.

My truck seems to like shell premium. I don't know why, but I do get noticeably better fuel economy when I fill up with shell 93 vs other brands. It probably ends up being a wash price wise. The shell stations I'm typically around usually are slightly higher price than the chevrons, Exxons, ect. I pretty much will pass other stations now if I know a reasonably priced shell is coming up though.

FWIW, the manual recommends 91 or above, but states 87 is fine. They actually warn about knocking for fuel octane at 91 or above, which is interesting.

I don't think it makes much difference as long as it's quality fuel and your filter is working correctly. The computer adjusts accordingly. That's why there are so many sensors and control modules on modern rigs.

Attachments

• 20230825_181428.jpg
    20230825_181428.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 42
I agree with @scubatech
1/4 mile runs at Bandimere Speeway outside of Denver are alot slower than sea level records

You can feel a bit of difference taking the truck to 12,000 and 13,000 ft trails.

We have 4 6.2s in the family and we only use 91 from Costco or shell. We have not had any engine issues at all.
Need a supercharger!

I run the same 300 mile round trip every weekend. I’ve run both 87 and 93. I get exactly the same 18.7-19 mpg no matter what fuel I burn. Only mod is an S&B CAI
This seems odd to me. Not saying your wrong or anything. Are you going by the computer or hand calculated? Only using fuel from one station? Only reason I ask is because I mentioned it earlier. I actually get better mpg with different 93s. Shell in my case does the best. Hard to believe 87 and 93 makes no difference. That said I've never tried 87, much less different brands of 87.

I run the same 300 mile round trip every weekend. I’ve run both 87 and 93. I get exactly the same 18.7-19 mpg no matter what fuel I burn. Only mod is an S&B CAI
Mine seems to do just fine on 87 too. In my case, slightly better on 91, but I wasn't tracking it that closely just an observation.

I have motorcycles and sxs that say 91-93 and they run fine too on 87. Sometimes when I'm a long ways from big towns they only have 87.

If you grandpa the truck around, which you have to be to net MPG numbers like that, the fuel becomes less important.

Low load conditions (such as cruise control on the highway) have minimal spark and valve advance. Less opportunity for pinging and getting the knock system involved.

Never run 87 but I have run 89 twice now (not back to back to either). Mostly 93. Could be in my mind but I felt there may have been a slight difference in performance. I don't haul much but ass!!! I have a heavy foot and get roughly the same MPG either way. Country highway to Interstate to a few back roads to work and the gym. Not much difference at all as I get 14.5 to 15mpg.

If you grandpa the truck around, which you have to be to net MPG numbers like that, the fuel becomes less important.

Low load conditions (such as cruise control on the highway) have minimal spark and valve advance. Less opportunity for pinging and getting the knock system involved.
Not sure I'd say grandpa like to pull that mileage. I ran Phoenix to Vegas and back and there are a lot of elevation changes and steep grades. I ran 93 up there and 87 2/3 of the way back and got 18 mpg with speed 75ish highway and some town miles.

I think this truck is pretty good with mileage on the highway even pushing speeds 70 to 80 mph.

Not sure I'd say grandpa like to pull that mileage. I ran Phoenix to Vegas and back and there are a lot of elevation changes and steep grades. I ran 93 up there and 87 2/3 of the way back and got 18 mpg with speed 75ish highway and some town miles.

I think this truck is pretty good with mileage on the highway even pushing speeds 70 to 80 mph.
That’s fantastic. My truck 75-80 gets 15-16 in flat as a pancake Florida on 93.

I average 15 going to work weekly. Good for you guys. Seriously! Lol

Never seen the range after a full up break 350 miles.

I just did 150 miles back and forth across town today. 70% freeway and city streets, some stop and go. I had to flex on a couple Fords and Rams too. I pulled 16 mpg. About 1000 feet elevation change.

Hotter than a snakes ass in a wagon rut at the 4th of July picnic. My truck was reading 118 degrees outside when driving, probably closer to 115 degrees. Air conditioner running WFO.

I pulled 16 mpg and running 93 with bigger tires.

I also got to find out how good the brakes work as I hauled that bitch down from 70 to 0 mph when some moron stopped in the fast lane so they could change 3 lanes over to get to the offramp. Damn near piled up 8 of us. I didn't think the brakes were that good before, but truck was standing on its nose and I stopped three lengths short.

Attachments

• 20230828_170449.jpg
    20230828_170449.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 17
I usually get about 12 to 13 mpg running shorter trips around the hood.

Thank you for your input. I had a 2017 High Country with a 6.2 and I ran regular gas 6 months before I traded it in and also never saw that much difference at all.

Reactions: AXE
That’s fantastic. My truck 75-80 gets 15-16 in flat as a pancake Florida on 93.

I average 15 going to work weekly. Good for you guys. Seriously! Lol

Never seen the range after a full up break 350 miles.

This is my experience also. If I run 75+ on the interstate, I'm getting between 15-16. I can get 17-18 pretty easily on highway driving. First 10k miles of the truck I averaged 14.9. I get around 320 miles on a tank filling up around a 1/4 tank. Little more if I run shell premium.

Lol, I have accidently ran mine down to where the range just showed low twice. I don't remember the exact mileage, but the truck held 23 gallons or so 😅 I know that for a fact cause my wife was freaking out and when I got back in the truck laughing, I told her we still had almost a whole gallon left.
20230302_134929.jpg

Reactions: AXE
The key to good mileage and longevity of the motor is that you gotta run it a little aggressive from the get go to get a good break in. The first time I found out the speed limiter was 98 was the first on ramp 1/2 mile from dealer. I had a few 0.001 off everything inside the motor by end of first week. She's been running loose and strong ever since!

You only get a short wimdow to get it right. You drive tight, she runs tight!

Most Member Reactions

Back