Range Technology Beta Testing

If you go on Reddit, there's a lot more failures because it represents a larger group of of failures across many vehicle platforms including 5.3L and 6.2L.

To be sure, GM screwed the pooch on an otherwise bulletproof motor. Then they leveraged the consumer further by making them wait and jump through hoops to get it resolved.

If you have a motor failure under warranty, GM customer service should be sending you a list of vehicles within 50 miles of you to choose a replacement at their expense. You should be driving again in 24-48 hours.
The LS crate engine platform is legendary for reliability and performance. GM, per government mandates ruined the best engine ever for swaps, power in a small package, and reliability. Right now the L8T engine is really hot for swaps and good power.

It's a shame really, what these stupid government restrictions have cost everyone, GM included. The end user always picks up the tab! :mad:

By the way, I was just at my dealer and there's alot of trucks sitting on the lot. Every flavor 3 ZR2 Bison 1500s, 1 2500HD ZR2, 2 midnight edition 2500HDs, several HC 2500HDs, and a metric shit ton of 1500 Z71s and Trail Bosses + basics. They could replace any of these failed motors with overstock in 5 minutes.

By the way, I was just at my dealer and there's alot of trucks sitting on the lot. Every flavor 3 ZR2 Bison 1500s, 1 2500HD ZR2, 2 midnight edition 2500HDs, several HC 2500HDs, and a metric shit ton of 1500 Z71s and Trail Bosses + basics. They could replace any of these failed motors with overstock in 5 minutes.
GM does not let them work that way.

If you believed everything you read on the internet the side of the road would be littered with dead Chevy's waiting for tow trucks.

I just drove 600 miles with my 6.2, over mountain passes, got 18.2 MPG and never had a problem. didn't see one dead Chevy either. yes the lifter can fail, but enough with the hair on fire screaming it's unrealistic.

If you believed everything you read on the internet the side of the road would be littered with dead Chevy's waiting for tow trucks.

I just drove 600 miles with my 6.2, over mountain passes, got 18.2 MPG and never had a problem. didn't see one dead Chevy either. yes the lifter can fail, but enough with the hair on fire screaming it's unrealistic.
Enough with defending GM and their bullshit. If GM would pull their heads out of their assess long enough, I'd definitely start their hair on fire.

600 miles and one trip is a meaningless anecdote. They might go 5000 or 50,000, but your fucked around the axle when it happens.

They put out a turd and ain't taking proper steps resolve it. People have the right to be concerned and complain. There's never been a problem of this magnitude with a GM motor before. It shouldn't be viewed as normal.

It ain't just lifters, it's crank main bearings, rod bearings, fuel pump control modules, and bricked infotainment systems/ecms leaving trucks dead. You don't see them in the road, cause plenty have been in driveways.

Fer crissakes, when they take a dump, you can't even get the bastards in neutral to get them on a tow truck.

Last edited:
You seem to know a lot more than the dealership service manager I know. it's his job to fix them and the problems are not nearly as common as the never to be questioned internet says they are.

Yes GM has problems, and yes GM has a long history of screwing the customer. but everything is based on comparison and the mass quantities of sniveling don't hold water if you compare products. I'm no GM defender, this is the first new GM I've bought in 25 years. my other newer rigs are a TRX and a '22 Ford powerjoke. quality seems about the same on all of them in my opinion.

There's lots of stuff like this. is it proof GM is best? no. but there's no proof GM is the worst either other than internet whining. JD power is more credible than pizzed off random Joe.

Well, I've had the same service advisor since 1997 and he's been rock solid. He told me they have seen lifter and crank problems. He said the bigger issues were the 19-20 models, lifters more than cranks.

I take everyone at face value. There are several people on this forum that have sat dead in the water waiting for new motors and parts for weeks to months. That shouldn't happen when they continue to pump out thousands of vehicles per month. They have the parts of the replacements. People shouldn't wait that long driving some shitty rental or dealer car.

I've never driven anything but Chevy's for my personal rigs and I've never had any notable problems (DEF temp sensor and 9th injector put me in limp mode, but cleared the code and drove to dealer). This includes three rigs that I've driven for 10 years and 150k miles.

I expect that same performance for new vehicles too, especially with the costs. Meanwhile, I've done a couple 1600 mile trips with my 1500 and I got a spare fuel pump control module riding shotgun. My 2500HD had three codes thrown in less than 1500 miles (possibky bad software like the infotainment systems). It doesn’t give a guy a lot of confidence. We'll see how it goes, but no way I'm giving GM a thumbs up for quality and reliability just yet.

Last edited:
You seem to know a lot more than the dealership service manager I know. it's his job to fix them and the problems are not nearly as common as the never to be questioned internet says they are.

Yes GM has problems, and yes GM has a long history of screwing the customer. but everything is based on comparison and the mass quantities of sniveling don't hold water if you compare products. I'm no GM defender, this is the first new GM I've bought in 25 years. my other newer rigs are a TRX and a '22 Ford powerjoke. quality seems about the same on all of them in my opinion.

There's lots of stuff like this. is it proof GM is best? no. but there's no proof GM is the worst either other than internet whining. JD power is more credible than pizzed off random Joe.

good read but the highest price Rado is 65k??? where?

Well, I've had the same service advisor since 1997 and he's been rock solid. He told me they have seen lifter and crank problems. He said the bigger issues were the 19-20 models, lifters more than cranks.

I take everyone at face value. There are several people on this forum that have sat dead in the water waiting for new motors and parts for weeks to months. That shouldn't happen when they continue to pump out thousands of vehicles per month. They have the parts of the replacements. People shouldn't wait that long driving some shitty rental or dealer car.

I've never driven anything but Chevy's for my personal rigs and I've never had any notable problems (DEF temp sensor and 9th injector put me in limp mode, but cleared the code and drove to dealer). This includes three rigs that I've driven for 10 years and 150k miles.

I expect that same performance for new vehicles too, especially with the costs. Meanwhile, I've done a couple 1600 mile trips with my 1500 and I got a spare fuel pump control module riding shotgun. My 2500HD had three codes thrown in less than 1500 miles (possibky bad software like the infotainment systems). It doesn’t give a guy a lot of confidence. We'll see how it goes, but no way I'm giving GM a thumbs up for quality and reliability just yet.
im thinking that if Mary Barra had woken up sooner regarding software debacle, you would see less complaints. also, lifter and bearing issue should have gone full recall.

What warrants a recall? I live in a rural area with a small GMC/Chevy dealer. they sell around 150 6.2's year and they replace an average of two 6.2's a year. so there is a problem, but does it warrant a recall? maybe an extended factory warranty? or do they do like the other manufactures and let it go? for what it's worth they sell less of the 1/2 ton diesels and replace far more of them.

I believe in capitalism, it works. if GM sells chit the customer will stop buying and they'll correct it or go out of business. that hasn't happened. I also know extended warranties are the underwriter betting you're not going to have a problem and you're betting you will. they're not Santa Claus they're in business to make money, and my extended warranty on my GM 6.2 isn't any more expensive than any other make of similar vehicle. that tells you a lot. and the fact I bought an extended warranty means I'm thinking I might need it. and I hope they win.

What warrants a recall? I live in a rural area with a small GMC/Chevy dealer. they sell around 150 6.2's year and they replace an average of two 6.2's a year. so there is a problem, but does it warrant a recall? maybe an extended factory warranty? or do they do like the other manufactures and let it go? for what it's worth they sell less of the 1/2 ton diesels and replace far more of them.

I believe in capitalism, it works. if GM sells chit the customer will stop buying and they'll correct it or go out of business. that hasn't happened. I also know extended warranties are the underwriter betting you're not going to have a problem and you're betting you will. they're not Santa Claus they're in business to make money, and my extended warranty on my GM 6.2 isn't any more expensive than any other make of similar vehicle. that tells you a lot. and the fact I bought an extended warranty means I'm thinking I might need it. and I hope they win.
i think a manufacturer with a known problem since roughly 2014 starting with AFM motors should have corrected the problem into the DFM's and certainly should make corrected parts standard and available. class action lawsuits are also not the easiest to file. the case must have legs. i too purchased an extended warranty. its just my opinion.

No debate there's a problem, how common it can be debated. I guess my thoughts on it are, it's not that common, I'm going to run a premium oil to do whatever I can to prevent it, and I'm going to have an extended warranty just in case.

Honestly if the ZR2 had a direct competitor I probably wouldn't have bought a GM product. but it really doesn't, the Ram Rebel is a joke and the Ford Tremor only comes with a dinky v8 and it's a low rider. the TRX and Raptor are another class of vehicle. but I like the ZR2 and it fit what I wanted perfectly, I may not say this in a year but I'd buy it again if I had it to do over. so the possible problems are just part of the deal.

I'm not sure it warrants a recall, but it sure as hell warrants a better response from GM and the dealers than waiting weeks and months for parts for a vehicle repair. When you have a known problem, superior customer service is the only proper response and it's been missing. The tax payers bailed this shit company out to the tune of billions in 2009. What have they done in return?

Capitalism is dead and has been for quite some time. There's so much consolidation, corporate take overs, Wall Street shenanigans, and regulatory bullshit that there is limited competition to increase quality and customer service. They don't build things for longevity, they build them for profits above all else. It's self serving and exactly why GM has had record profits and is doing massive stock buybacks, yet customer service is questionable at best.

A failing capitalistic environment is the very reason we have shitty vehicles, shitty airplanes, shitty medical care, shitty infrastructure, shitty banking, and shitty plastic goods from ChiNa filling our landfills. But it's the very reason we have commies running our government and pissing down our backs and telling us it's just raining.

Sadly it won't likely get fixed soon. We may be closer to the government telling us what we can drive, where we can drive and how often than we may realize. Just enter your social credit score and your infotainment system will give you your daily allowable limits.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it warrants a recall, but it sure as hell warrants a better response from GM and the dealers than waiting weeks and months for parts for a vehicle repair. When you have a known problem, superior customer service is the only proper response and it's been missing. The tax payers bailed this shit company out to the tune of billions in 2009. What have they done in return?

Capitalism is dead and has been for quite some time. There's so much consolidation, corporate take overs, Wall Street shenanigans, and regulatory bullshit that there is limited competition to increase quality and customer service. They don't build things for longevity, they build them for profits above all else. It's self serving and exactly why GM has had record profits and is doing massive stock buybacks, yet customer service is questionable at best.

A failing capitalistic environment is the very reason we have shitty vehicles, shitty airplanes, shitty medical care, shitty infrastructure, and shitty plastic goods from ChiNa filling our landfills. But it's the very reason we have commies running our government and pissing down our backs and telling us it's just raining.

Sadly it won't likely get fixed soon. We may be closer to the government telling us what we can drive, where we can drive and how often than we may realize. Just enter your social credit score and your infotainment system will give you your daily allowable limits.
Well said. I'll be one of the last people to buy an electric car . I'm going to drive what I want as long as I can!

I'm hoping we can vote these people out in November!! I doubt the country can take 4 more years of this shit!

This thread may catch the " info-tainment cuts out thread", LOL. This one is more interesting though. :cool:

Ya so let's vote Don the con back in and watch our country go down in a bucket of poo. At least with the current admin I'm meeting all my financial goals and business has never been better..
What's up with almost 50 percent of the American population that want chaos and mayhem...lol. Oh well I guess it's an American thing.
Sorry to offend some of you with the truth!
Well said. I'll be one of the last people to buy an electric car . I'm going to drive what I want as long as I can!

I'm hoping we can vote these people out in November!! I doubt the country can take 4 more years of this shit!

This thread may catch the " info-tainment cuts out thread", LOL. This one is more interesting though. :cool:

Ya so let's vote Don the con back in and watch our country go down in a bucket of poo. At least with the current admin I'm meeting all my financial goals and business has never been better..
What's up with almost 50 percent of the American population that want chaos and mayhem...lol. Oh well I guess it's an American thing.
We've got this thread completely off Beta testing for a Range unit. I apologize to the OP for my part in this. I don't want chaos. I just was happy with the way America was. All these different sexes, gun haters, etc. I thought that I lived better during the Trump era. I'm glad you are doing well!

So enough said from me on this political crap.

You're taking a side and there are no winners one way or another. The system is so corrupt it is collapsing under its own weight.

We are living in an era of perpetual reset and it's been complicated by numerous economic, political, and social factors. We have been living under some basterdization of capitalism since the 80s. When we decided that debtism (Reagonomics) was a reasonable approach to improving our daily lives we ran up the national debt to $38 trillion on our way to $50T by 2030.

The commies have always been there trying to undermine everything believing that a government would be better at making decisions for individuals than individuals themselves. That grabbed another gear under Obama and it has been highly successful in brainwashing people to believe it. We have two generations now that are on the brink of believing that's the answer cause someone paid off their student debt accumulated during debtism.

However, there is a glimmer of hope in that Millenials and Gen Z have realized that what they have helped create is really bad for them. They are figuring out their unwavering support of a new economic system called technofeudalism is actually bad. They're realizing that a half a dozen tech companies have control of every move they make. Which has ushered in the largest wealth disparity in mankind. They can't afford houses, cars, groceries, and healthcare and the social security system meant to protect them is nearly defunct. They have been reduced to crying on TikTok from their parents basement. But hey at least they can do it on cool new iPhones and order cheap shit from Amazon and have expensive food delivered by Uber Eats.

Unfortunately, they embraced technofeudalism so long that they have made themselves irrelevant. So now they have to decide will AI allow them to live the nice cushy no work all play life they desire or will it actually mean asking the refrigerator if they can eat or the toilet if they can shit.

Pick your politician if you desire.........I've picked Jesus and Smith & Wesson!

Last edited:
Amen Brotha,
So let's try and leave the political views for the politicians and pray for a solution for the DFM poor programming choice .
I'm 🙏for a solution!
LOL........ that's the crux of technofeudalism........ you're the serf and you've essentially rented your vehicle from the tech lords (false gods). You must continue to pay the cloud rent and they will decide if you are worthy of additional benefits by how much additional capital you're willing to provide to them for the expected level of service you desire.

The government will crush Range Technologies soon enough. Just like they did to the diesel programmers. They can't have anyone working against them, they must crush them.

It's pretty messed up, but easy to understand if you just take a step back. Anyway enjoy the rest of your weekend. Monday is right around the corner and the tech lords need you back to work so they can rent you more cloud space.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back