Range Technology Beta Testing

No debate there's a problem, how common it can be debated. I guess my thoughts on it are, it's not that common, I'm going to run a premium oil to do whatever I can to prevent it, and I'm going to have an extended warranty just in case.

Honestly if the ZR2 had a direct competitor I probably wouldn't have bought a GM product. but it really doesn't, the Ram Rebel is a joke and the Ford Tremor only comes with a dinky v8 and it's a low rider. the TRX and Raptor are another class of vehicle. but I like the ZR2 and it fit what I wanted perfectly, I may not say this in a year but I'd buy it again if I had it to do over. so the possible problems are just part of the deal.
im doing quicker oil change intervals. cant hurt.

Reactions: AXE
So anyways, I’m glad we can all at least agree if Range can figure something out we will all be happy.

Is anyone signing up for their Beta testing?

So anyways, I’m glad we can all at least agree if Range can figure something out we will all be happy.

Is anyone signing up for their Beta testing?
Not sure I agree. As was stated earlier, even if DFM is "disabled", the crappy lifters are still there and can easily fail whether DFM is on or not.

I basically disagree with that statement.
So GM has reengineered the lifter/ materials ECT . As an engineer let me explain the reactive occurrence or dynamics .
As the lifter is deactivated by shutting down the oil supply it becomes subtitle and subject to many given forces such as spring rate and lift dynamics. These forces are mitigated by the lifter feature dynamics such as counter spring to keep it in check. Though a novel idea it doesn't work well in all condition. ECM programming is the key feature to help control dynamics of said motion..
In other words if the lifter starts to bounce on the cam because of said anomaly it will damage the motors cam and cause a failure. Some of what GM has done to help in the new ecotech motor is redesign the cam profile for those cylinders doing the deactivation thus limiting the lifter reaction.. Again still not perfect but better!
My gripe is the frequency in witch it occurs at low rpms sending a resonance through the motor and creating a vibration you can feel... I hate this! But GM refuses to reprogram this feature to control resonance.. So I want it off and they won't do to regulations.. So hence Ranger.
Once shut off and always under a physical load the lifter is in a better state and should perform just fine .
Yes lifter can fail do to anomalys, materials being defective, manufacturing flaws or imperfections , quality control ectera.
Hope this helps !

So GM has reengineered the lifter/ materials ECT . As an engineer let me explain the reactive occurrence or dynamics .
As the lifter is deactivated by shutting down the oil supply it becomes subtitle and subject to many given forces such as spring rate and lift dynamics. These forces are mitigated by the lifter feature dynamics such as counter spring to keep it in check. Though a novel idea it doesn't work well in all condition. ECM programming is the key feature to help control dynamics of said motion..
In other words if the lifter starts to bounce on the cam because of said anomaly it will damage the motors cam and cause a failure. Some of what GM has done to help in the new ecotech motor is redesign the cam profile for those cylinders doing the deactivation thus limiting the lifter reaction.. Again still not perfect but better!
My gripe is the frequency in witch it occurs at low rpms sending a resonance through the motor and creating a vibration you can feel... I hate this! But GM refuses to reprogram this feature to control resonance.. So I want it off and they won't do to regulations.. So hence Ranger.
Once shut off and always under a physical load the lifter is in a better state and should perform just fine .
Yes lifter can fail do to anomalys, materials being defective, manufacturing flaws or imperfections , quality control ectera.
Hope this helps !
I am an EE and not an ME. What you stated above makes sense to me, but I still won't trust the lifters even with DFM disabled if Ranger can figure it out. I just drive in Tow/Haul mode every day and actually like it better based on its shifting characteristics. Supposedly, both either L9 or T/H disable DFM. I may still buy it if it's not way over priced, but I am really looking to get a 2025 2500HD ZR2 or High Country Midnight Edition either around Christmas or next Spring so may not be worth it for me who's not planning to keep it much longer.

Hope this helps !
Meanwhile back in the real world

Reactions: AXE
So the 2019-2020 rigs supposedly many more failures, due to some bad lifters. Wether or not they were were out of spec or weren't hardened or the lifter holes weren't correct, that is when the issue started to promulgate. I'm not sure if or when the bad lifter were fixed, but there still seems to be occasinaal problems, even in 2023 models with low miles. I believe it happens at lower mileage due to bad lifters, not longer term wear on the cam due to DFM.

The lifter problems with the previous generation motors with AFM happened much more slowly and wouldn't present itself until much higher mileage, say 100-150k miles. It was a result of excessive wear on the cams because the same four cylinders were shutting off.

The Range product would likely benefit higher mileage vehicles assuming parts/design wasnt faulty, but it won't likely prevent failure due to bad lifters or design.

I believe we have some bad parts or inherent design issues due to the realtively low mileage on our trucks. Some have failed inside 10k miles.

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick........no that's not your lifters, it's the debt clock working overtime. Now get your taxes paid suckas!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back