Ready To Pull the Trigger, Advice?

The paint is so poor on these trucks, they age like dogs. Your truck will look like it has 4200 miles on it when you get home.

Most of my rock chips are located in front of the rear wheel. However, I have rock chips all the way down the sides of lower door panels and rockers. I'm running wider and larger tires, so that is part of the problem.

You could put those steps on in about 30 to 60 minutes with basic tools. They bolt into riv nuts on the truck body. Just pull the plug and bolt in the hardware. That will help most of your issues.

Last edited:
I might do that. planning on Weathertech flaps too.

You think the paint is worse than Ford and Dodge? or just they're all bad anymore.

Reactions: AXE
I think the high clearance steps help a lot. I haven't had any problems with rock chips on either one of my ZR2s. I did get a chip or two on the front bumper on my 1500 with 20k miles. But the rockers were great.

Just looking under the steps shows you exactly how much stuff they get pelted with. The 1500 steps fit the 2500s btw. I moved mine over from my 1500. They bolt right up.

I might do that. planning on Weathertech flaps too.

You think the paint is worse than Ford and Dodge? or just they're all bad anymore.
Just really soft paint, clear, primer that results in chips to the metal. Some only to primer. Some of mine look like craters not dings.

I've never had a previous Chevy that I thought had soft paint. They looked decent after 10 years. Mine will be a year old in February and it looks worse than any I've had by a wide margin.

I run Rams for business and they seem fine to me over last 15 years, including a 2023.

I tend to agree the standard ZR2 looks better, and I hate the black AEV wheels. but every time I get practical, I end up regretting it.

I'm not really as worried about the cost of the fuel it's just getting somewhere and getting back. gas pumps can be a long way apart around here. the diesel is interesting, but I like V8's, and the local dealer service manager told me to run away from the diesel screaming like my teeth were on fire.
I have owned 3 of the 3.0 Duramax Silverados, accumulating over 100k and had zero problems with any of them, FWIW

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back