Service Axle Lockers

FlyZR2

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this message "Service Axle Lockers"? Just came on today, it only activates on the dash as I am braking and under 5 mph. Is this a common issue?

I've never seen it here. Looks like its come up on the Colorado forums a few times.

16-APR-2019 indicates a bad wire.

Would be surprised to see this on a new truck, but the engineers & suppliers jam 3 miles of wire into these new trucks with all their fancy tech... Sounds like a dealer visit to me.

"customer states axle lock fault message on DIC, rear diff locks but front will not.Performed diagnosis with GDS2, C11B0 stored, followed procedure on SI doc #4570821, Front diff lock actuator low control relay inoperative. Jumped terminal 34 at the chassis control module to ground, relay still does not click. Used DVOM to test circuit 7118 from chassis control module connector terminal 34 and UBEC connector X2 terminal 11. Found 34m ohms of resistance in circuit, traced circuit between the UBEC and chassis module and found wire corroded in harness along left frame above rear axle. Replaced portion of wire for circuit 7118, re-taped with woven electrical tape. Cleared DTC and test drive ok. Harness routing view 4507421, coordinates I:5"

R I G

I've never seen it here. Looks like its come up on the Colorado forums a few times.

16-APR-2019 indicates a bad wire.

Would be surprised to see this on a new truck, but the engineers & suppliers jam 3 miles of wire into these new trucks with all their fancy tech... Sounds like a dealer visit to me.

"customer states axle lock fault message on DIC, rear diff locks but front will not.Performed diagnosis with GDS2, C11B0 stored, followed procedure on SI doc #4570821, Front diff lock actuator low control relay inoperative. Jumped terminal 34 at the chassis control module to ground, relay still does not click. Used DVOM to test circuit 7118 from chassis control module connector terminal 34 and UBEC connector X2 terminal 11. Found 34m ohms of resistance in circuit, traced circuit between the UBEC and chassis module and found wire corroded in harness along left frame above rear axle. Replaced portion of wire for circuit 7118, re-taped with woven electrical tape. Cleared DTC and test drive ok. Harness routing view 4507421, coordinates I:5"

R I G
Thank you for the info, I schedule an appointment on Tuesday.

FlyZR2 - are you able to share an update? Curious how you made out at the dealer!

FlyZR2 - are you able to share an update? Curious how you made out at the dealer!
Well like most things they didn't find anything. I have to make another appointment for it in March they are booked out. A couple of the other dealerships I stopped at didn't want to touch it until April. I will update you once my appointment is done.

Have had this happening on my 22 Silverado ZR2 since I bought it. Had Onstar do a remote diagnostic said nothing wrong. It happens after I have been driving for a while and comes on nearly every five minutes. Very annoying. Have not had my truck in a position where lockers are needed yet, so I don't know if they function.

Have had this happening on my 22 Silverado ZR2 since I bought it. Had Onstar do a remote diagnostic said nothing wrong. It happens after I have been driving for a while and comes on nearly every five minutes. Very annoying. Have not had my truck in a position where lockers are needed yet, so I don't know if they function.
I agree with the message chiming in and out while trying to listen to music is annoying as all hell. Hopefully, they will be able to pull a code or figure out if it is a loose wire and repair it. The only other thing my truck has been doing since it was new comes with the rearview mirror resting 5-10 mins after I am on the road. Then it clears up until the next time I start it again. For that issue, they said they have to order a new mirror with none in the system.

Short update 2 1/2 weeks later. My ZR2 is still in the shop with the Service Axle Lockers issue. I have been told GM-Techs are now working remotely with the local shop to troubleshoot the issue. I am glad I didn't try to use the lockers at all yet. I could imagine being on a trail or in the desert and having it fail. So for now I will just read and watch others enjoy their ZR2s.

Why is it so hard to get dealerships to give out loaner vehicles or set you up in a rental nowadays? At first, they just wanted to call me an Uber..but a 30 min chat later with a more experienced service advisor and i have a rental.

Short update 2 1/2 weeks later. My ZR2 is still in the shop with the Service Axle Lockers issue. I have been told GM-Techs are now working remotely with the local shop to troubleshoot the issue. I am glad I didn't try to use the lockers at all yet. I could imagine being on a trail or in the desert and having it fail. So for now I will just read and watch others enjoy their ZR2s.

Why is it so hard to get dealerships to give out loaner vehicles or set you up in a rental nowadays? At first, they just wanted to call me an Uber..but a 30 min chat later with a more experienced service advisor and i have a rental.
Still don't have my ZR2 back. GM team came and went and now wants the service department to start switching out computer modules. Should I worry? I am glad it is all under warranty but I don't like paying for a vehicle that I am not driving.

Still don't have my ZR2 back. GM team came and went and now wants the service department to start switching out computer modules. Should I worry? I am glad it is all under warranty but I don't like paying for a vehicle that I am not driving.
Ask for a new one! They can fix that tired one on their time.

I've had my Duramax at the dealer for 2.5 days before they could figure out I had a bad DEF sensor. The GM tech support was called in, but this was a known problem since 2012. It was 1.5 days longer than it should have been, but they gave me a metallic mustard yellow Blazer to drive........I was fucking embarrassed. My neighbors seen it, but fortunately my good friends didn't.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230402_235924_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230402_235924_Google.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Ask for a new one! They can fix that tired one on their time.

I've had my Duramax at the dealer for 2.5 days before they could figure out I had a bad DEF sensor. The GM tech support was called in, but this was a known problem since 2012. It was 1.5 days longer than it should have been, but they gave me a metallic mustard yellow Blazer to drive........I was fucking embarrassed. My neighbors seen it, but fortunately my good friends didn't.
I like your way of thinking AXE! We will see what this week brings.

I hit this last week while driving on a 6 hour trip. First time it came on was at a stop sign, no warnings just the ding and message "Service axel lockers". I dismissed it only to have it return once my speed was up to 70+ mph. Then it would ding, flash the message, disappear, and repeat 3-4 times in a row then stop for 15 -30 minutes, only to repeat the cycle. Did this for 6 hours. On the return trip, same exact issue. Took it into the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate the issue. They did note several communication issues with the BCM. They want me to bring the truck back for an extended debugging session. Truck only has 3200 miles on it.

I hit this last week while driving on a 6 hour trip. First time it came on was at a stop sign, no warnings just the ding and message "Service axel lockers". I dismissed it only to have it return once my speed was up to 70+ mph. Then it would ding, flash the message, disappear, and repeat 3-4 times in a row then stop for 15 -30 minutes, only to repeat the cycle. Did this for 6 hours. On the return trip, same exact issue. Took it into the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate the issue. They did note several communication issues with the BCM. They want me to bring the truck back for an extended debugging session. Truck only has 3200 miles on it.
Sorry to hear that GHT2005. My dealership told me today they found bad actuators for the service lockers and overnighted them. so maybe ill have mine back and running tomorrow COB.

UPDATE!! Got my ZR2 back and ran it through the paces. All seems good so far, Knocking on wood. They even did the cluster update and trailer brake recall. So All that I have issues with now is the audio and. rear camera view mirror cutting in and out. Love the truck.

Still constantly get the "Service Axle Lockers" warning on my ZR2 since it was new. Have had it in to the dealership and they think it is a computer problem but have no idea how to fix it. Very annoying. It has been elevated to GM but there is no indication it will be addressed any time soon. Do better Chevy!

Minor update - Service Axel Lockers warning is still going off, now it happens every time I drive it. Had it to the dealer twice, they cannot find anything nor duplicate the issue. They are asking me for an extending service visit for additional debugging.

Great...I just started receiving this message as well on a '22. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I did test the axle lockers, they worked before and after I started getting the message.

Update...Dealer diagnosed it as defective actuator in about an hour. Parts will take 1-2 weeks to come in so we will see.
Can't wait to hear if this solves it. GM still has not responded to me even after my truck spent over a week int he shop. This is very frustrating. I am totally losing faith in Chevy and GM.

Can't wait to hear if this solves it. GM still has not responded to me even after my truck spent over a week int he shop. This is very frustrating. I am totally losing faith in Chevy and GM.
I was worried about the same thing and I'm still holding my breath. I'll post the service details when they get the job done.

Most Member Reactions

Back