Service Axle Lockers

Just got my truck back from the dealer and they tell me it is ”fixed”. It was supposedly a broken/loose wire in the rear diff. They had to pull apart the entire back end of the truck to get to the wire. Am told they replaced the actuator unit with the broken wire. Only 100 miles since service but it appears they have fixed it. Have not been able to fully check out the system. Really like this truck but concerned about its realizability.

Just got my truck back from the dealer and they tell me it is ”fixed”. It was supposedly a broken/loose wire in the rear diff. They had to pull apart the entire back end of the truck to get to the wire. Am told they replaced the actuator unit with the broken wire. Only 100 miles since service but it appears they have fixed it. Have not been able to fully check out the system. Really like this truck but concerned about its realizability.
Glad yours is back up and running. I would rather of had mine go in the 1st hundred before I take off road. Mine had both replaced. Works great now.

Still an issue with the infotainment and camera system but a few hundred miles on the truck since repair and no more axle locker issues. Plan to take the truck off road this weekend and see if the 4wheel system actually does what it is supposed to.

Still an issue with the infotainment and camera system but a few hundred miles on the truck since repair and no more axle locker issues. Plan to take the truck off road this weekend and see if the 4wheel system actually does what it is supposed to.
3200 miles on my '23....got the exact same warning now. Thank you all for posting your same issue, maybe it'll help the service department figure it out.
Disappointing to have something like this pop up after 4 months...smh.

I had mine at the dealership for the past week and they found the problem was a loose wire and a bad actuator. So far I just drove it home but did not get the message so seems like they fixed it.

My problem now is that they hit something with my truck and they refuse to fix it. It’s only got 3200 miles and it’s the first time I taken it for service. I’m so mad!!! The only thing they offer me was that if I buy the skid plate ($350) they would install it for free. Screw that!! At this point I don’t trust them to mess something else up let alone have to fork out $350. I’m getting screwed!!

Attachments

• IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8492.jpeg
    IMG_8492.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 46
I had mine at the dealership for the past week and they found the problem was a loose wire and a bad actuator. So far I just drove it home but did not get the message so seems like they fixed it.

My problem now is that they hit something with my truck and they refuse to fix it. It’s only got 3200 miles and it’s the first time I taken it for service. I’m so mad!!! The only thing they offer me was that if I buy the skid plate ($350) they would install it for free. Screw that!! At this point I don’t trust them to mess something else up let alone have to fork out $350. I’m getting screwed!!
I'm thinking of spraying mine with black bedliner material as I don't like the color and it already has a lot of rock chips.

You might be able to fix that dent and cover it up with bedliner material.

I was under there last weekend and it looks like a lot of small fasteners and body clips to remove on front fascia. May be a PIA, I may regret it.

I'm thinking of spraying mine with black bedliner material as I don't like the color and it already has a lot of rock chips.

You might be able to fix that dent and cover it up with bedliner material.

I was under there last weekend and it looks like a lot of small fasteners and body clips to remove on front fascia. May be a PIA, I may regret it.

Ooohhh, I’m loving that idea. It will match the GoRhino running boards I put on.

Attachments

• IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8502.jpeg
    IMG_8502.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: AXE

Update:
Unfortunately The Service Axle Lockers annoying message is back during the very next day after getting the truck back from the dealership. It's back at the dealership now......waiting to see what thier diagnostics comes up with.

Update:
Unfortunately The Service Axle Lockers annoying message is back during the very next day after getting the truck back from the dealership. It's back at the dealership now......waiting to see what thier diagnostics comes up with.
update:
Truck still at the dealership, 2 weeks now and they are back to square one after changing a harness (to the transfer case or rear end). The master mechanic is a very old guy that has been working at the dealership for 40 years (i like the guy after talking to him the other day, seems very knowledgeable, i bit frustrated with trying to figure out electrical problem as he explained they are a pain to troubleshoot)

This is the 2nd trip and have already been 15 days total that i haven't had it between both trips. I am looking a little bit into Florida's lemon law which states after 3 trips and losing access for 15 days i can fill out a form to send over to Chevrolet where they will then have 10 more days to a final attempt (which would be the 4th) at fixing it. After that, starts the procedure of replacing or reimbursing.

I'm getting the feeling that its very hard to use the lemon law as I dont know how long they can keep the truck at the dealership trying to fix it each time (4 weeks, 6 weeks??). I can only imagine that if it gets to the 3rd trip to the dealership, they are going to keep it as long as it takes to get it passed this issue so they dont have to replace it. We'll see, still hoping they come thru and find the problem.

I can tell to you they haven't likely logged 120 hours of testing while it's been sitting there 3 weeks. More like <8 hours and they are hoping the electric fairy swings by with some magic dust. Meanwhile they are busy fixing other cars and making money.

Tell the dealership GM you've had enough and you want a different truck. They can do on the job training anytime, but not at your expense.

I can tell to you they haven't likely logged 120 hours of testing while it's been sitting there 3 weeks. More like <8 hours and they are hoping the electric fairy swings by with some magic dust. Meanwhile they are busy fixing other cars and making money.

Tell the dealership GM you've had enough and you want a different truck. They can do on the job training anytime, but not at your expense.
Yes you are right, I went back after reading your post and ask for a loaner to put a little bit of pressure on them but still took them another month.

Update:
Service Azle Locker Invoice.jpg

I got the truck back this week after 5 weeks at the dealership. Drove it home which is about 20 miles and did not get the Service Axle Lockers message. I'll be driving it tomorrow to test it out and keeping my fingers crossed. They replaced the differential, actuator and harness and few other things. I'll attach the invoice with the list of parts.

Glad your back up and running. Hopefully it's problem free here on out!

Update:
Dropped truck off Thursday at 9AM after a few weeks waiting on parts to come in. They did the trailer switch recall and started on the axle locker issue. They then needed another part they didn't order originally, but it was coming next day.
Friday the part came in late so no work. Monday was suppose to be a 5 hour reassembly job, but wasn't done by EOD. They gave me a 2023 LTZ with 2k miles so no problem. Tuesday mid-day truck was ready. 4 1/2 days all together. I feel thankful seeing what Gus went through.
Message hasn't reappeared so it seems I'm okay. Pretty much the same parts list as Gus. Hopefully the troubleshooting notes can help someone else with this message. Pretty happy with the fix besides the normal bs of dealerships being terrible at setting expectations and communication.

IMG_2095.jpg

@gus @Lurch glad you guys have your trucks back. Hopefully what was done fixes the issue. Im a 3k now and am going to do some offroading this weekend. Haven't used the lockers yet.

Update:
Dropped truck off Thursday at 9AM after a few weeks waiting on parts to come in. They did the trailer switch recall and started on the axle locker issue. They then needed another part they didn't order originally, but it was coming next day.
Friday the part came in late so no work. Monday was suppose to be a 5 hour reassembly job, but wasn't done by EOD. They gave me a 2023 LTZ with 2k miles so no problem. Tuesday mid-day truck was ready. 4 1/2 days all together. I feel thankful seeing what Gus went through.
Message hasn't reappeared so it seems I'm okay. Pretty much the same parts list as Gus. Hopefully the troubleshooting notes can help someone else with this message. Pretty happy with the fix besides the normal bs of dealerships being terrible at setting expectations and communication.

View attachment 6324
I drove mine last Sunday to church and back (my church is pretty far like 1 hr each way) and no message so I do believe they got it corrected. I was so happy driving it, what a beautiful machine. TBH the most frustrating part is always the little things you find later on like a scratch here and there, they put 2 chips on the nice chrome phone tray that's on top of the center consul. Hopefully i can just find the part number and order it myself since it cant be much. I'm still trying to find out the part number for the front gray skid plate. I have looked everywhere online even with the vin number but cant find the dam thing.

Thanks for posting Lurch and glad they got you taken care of too. I love the fact that we now have a records documenting the repair process, just like you said, someday it may help someone else with the same issue.

Let us know how it goes ZR2Bison, and have fun offroading.

I drove mine last Sunday to church and back (my church is pretty far like 1 hr each way) and no message so I do believe they got it corrected. I was so happy driving it, what a beautiful machine. TBH the most frustrating part is always the little things you find later on like a scratch here and there, they put 2 chips on the nice chrome phone tray that's on top of the center consul. Hopefully i can just find the part number and order it myself since it cant be much. I'm still trying to find out the part number for the front gray skid plate. I have looked everywhere online even with the vin number but cant find the dam thing.

Thanks for posting Lurch and glad they got you taken care of too. I love the fact that we now have a records documenting the repair process, just like you said, someday it may help someone else with the same issue.

Let us know how it goes ZR2Bison, and have fun offroading.
That's great news. Glad to hear.

Will do and thanks!

I have a 22 with 9k miles on it. This problem just started and has increased in frequency to all the time now. I gave it to the dealership and they told me they could not replicate the problem. Don't see how that is possible. I am assuming they didn't bother to drive it. I guess I have to bring it back and be more vocal. Anytime I give it more than a whisper of gas the stupid alert pops up.

My truck is back at the dealer for the 3rd time now with the same service axle lockers message. They said there is now a service bulletin to help the tech debug the issue. They were able to pull codes that match the SB, sadly it's a short to ground error. Here's hoping they finally fix it and in a timely manner.

Last edited:
My truck is back at the dealer for the 3rd time now with the same service axle lockers message. They said there is now a service bulletin to help the tech debug the issue. They were able to pull codes that match the SB, sadly it's a short to ground error. Here's hoping they finally fix it and in a timely manner.
Still waiting for the replacement parts that were ordered on September 25th. Looks like the strike has impacted parts availability.

Good luck. Mine has been working great since they essentially replaced the entire rear end. Have logged about 4 thousand miles with no issues. Damn infotaimoment system is still super buggy but I can live with that as long as the engine and drive train function as they are supposed to.

Most Member Reactions

Back