Speed limit sign went blank

T-Man

Founding Member
Reaction score
So after my initial month of on star and a data package ran out I am no longer getting the posted speed limit on any display. Does anyone know of a way to make this work without a data package through onstar?

I don't know if its any different from what I have in my Tahoe, but I don't have any data packages on it and it still shows me the speed limits. The only place it goes blank is on private roads.

I'm in the same boat. I like it in the HUD, but its not worth the cost of the plan when I have a phone hotspot. That said, I'm tempted to buy it for a road trip but need to verify if a month-to-month plan is available.

I did notice the other day that when I have Google Maps pulled up on the main screen in in Apple Car Play, the speed limit was displayed there.

Somewhat related: I also like that approach to displaying the map rather than the built-in Google Map. When I signed into Google in the truck & used the built-in Google map / Google Assistant, it really borked my Car Play setup. I had to reset the infotainment system to get back where I was. It was probably a Luddite move that got me there, but now I'm happy again.

I'm in the same boat. I like it in the HUD, but its not worth the cost of the plan when I have a phone hotspot. That said, I'm tempted to buy it for a road trip but need to verify if a month-to-month plan is available.

I did notice the other day that when I have Google Maps pulled up on the main screen in in Apple Car Play, the speed limit was displayed there.

Somewhat related: I also like that approach to displaying the map rather than the built-in Google Map. When I signed into Google in the truck & used the built-in Google map / Google Assistant, it really borked my Car Play setup. I had to reset the infotainment system to get back where I was. It was probably a Luddite move that got me there, but now I'm happy again.
Let me know what you find out about a month to month or what is available when you find out.

I like the Android auto version of google maps better also as I can have satellite view on which I would rather use. I tried but could not get satellite view on the in vehicle google maps but if anyone else knows of a way please inform me.

Hi all. I had a similar situation and getting the speed limit sign back is pretty easy. Give Onstar a call and get a trial data plan or get the MTM one for $25. You need the data plan active and then you go into the map application of your choice (Android all the way over here) and go to offline maps and set it to download automatically.

Tip: if you're using the trial you can go to the offline maps section for Android an select the maps to download.

I still maintain the Android Auto OS is the worst of all the manufacturers.
  • It doesn't remember settings. I gave up after the 5th time of organizing the icons, only to have them revert.
  • It's slow. Sooooo slooooow.
  • It forces the default audio screen when you just want CarPlay. Hitting CarPlay button should ALWAYS take you to CarPlay
  • If you don't have a data plan - the right section only displays a crummy clock or trailer option. It makes that section just decoration now. It would be useful to let it always have an option to show something else. A list of things like, compass, audio, carplay options, cameras, climate controls... ANYTHING else would be useful. That large screen is essentially cut by 1/3 because it's useless without an overprices data plan.

• It doesn't remember settings. I gave up after the 5th time of organizing the icons, only to have them revert.
  • It forces the default audio screen when you just want CarPlay. Hitting CarPlay button should ALWAYS take you to CarPlay
  • If you don't have a data plan - the right section only displays a crummy clock or trailer option. It makes that section just decoration now. It would be useful to let it always have an option to show something else. A list of things like, compass, audio, carplay options, cameras, climate controls... ANYTHING else would be useful. That large screen is essentially cut by 1/3 because it's useless without an overprices data plan.

Agreed about the right side of the screen, it's wasted territory.

Dude... suuuuuper slow. It's almost mindbending how slow it is in comparison to running it on my phone and projecting it via BT.

Seems kind of like the OS was an afterthought, to be real

Let me know what you find out about a month to month or what is available when you find out.
Via an OnStar call, I signed up for a MTM unlimited data plan for $25 + tax. It's on me to cancel when I'm done - couldn't just have them shut it off after one month, but that's fine. Presumably, that'll bring back the speed limit in the HUD, although I haven't tested it yet.

Via an OnStar call, I signed up for a MTM unlimited data plan for $25 + tax. It's on me to cancel when I'm done - couldn't just have them shut it off after one month, but that's fine. Presumably, that'll bring back the speed limit in the HUD, although I haven't tested it yet.
HUD / dash speed limit is back as expected.

However, my collision avoidance light is now stuck on, rendering adaptive cruise / lane assist inoperable. One day before the start of a 3200 mile road trip. Fantastic.

ETA: I recalled seeing this in another thread; pulled the negative terminal from the battery for 5 minutes and it seems back to normal for now.

Last edited:
My plan runs out today. +1 on the interface being absolutely terrible when it comes to interface response. Forever greatful that almost all functions have physical buttons so I am saved from the UConnect nightmare.

I am extremely salty that my wife’s Fusion allows App based remote starting, locking and unlocking free of charge. Inexcusable at this price bracket.

Although with Waze and music on the “second” window in CarPlay, I haven’t noticed much lag as I don’t use the Infrotainment system at all.

Agree! It’s bullshit gm makes you pay for all these features after the fact. Over 70k for the truck wasn’t enough apparently

My plan runs out today. +1 on the interface being absolutely terrible when it comes to interface response. Forever greatful that almost all functions have physical buttons so I am saved from the UConnect nightmare.

I am extremely salty that my wife’s Fusion allows App based remote starting, locking and unlocking free of charge. Inexcusable at this price bracket.

Although with Waze and music on the “second” window in CarPlay, I haven’t noticed much lag as I don’t use the Infrotainment system at all.
Waze is the best systems (Even though it's owned by Google), so I use that with Carplay. It's fine, but the right side screen that displays the music flashes between the album art and the default music icon randomly, about 20 time or so per minute, really catching my eye. It's a distraction. It's my only gripe about the truck for the most part, is the Android Auto OS. I can live with it, but updates should really be thought about on GM's side.

Waze is the best systems (Even though it's owned by Google), so I use that with Carplay. It's fine, but the right side screen that displays the music flashes between the album art and the default music icon randomly, about 20 time or so per minute, really catching my eye. It's a distraction. It's my only gripe about the truck for the most part, is the Android Auto OS. I can live with it, but updates should really be thought about on GM's side.
I have also noticed this glitch. Hopefully some of these issues will be fixed with a system update.

I picked my truck up on Tuesday, OnStar offered me an unlimited data plan for $15/month for as long as I keep it active... you might try punching the blue button and asking for the discount. I know in my wife's BMW, the BMW version of OnStar offered it to her for $20/month so there are some discounts out there.

I picked my truck up on Tuesday, OnStar offered me an unlimited data plan for $15/month for as long as I keep it active... you might try punching the blue button and asking for the discount. I know in my wife's BMW, the BMW version of OnStar offered it to her for $20/month so there are some discounts out there.
I got the $15 a month deal as well

all, seems without purchasing data plan from google OR access plan from Onstar, the speed limit sign will not work, AND you are unable to download offline maps. Is everyone just biting the bullet, and paying additional money, or is there another workaround. As mentioned above, I tried logging into google, but cant save offline without a subscription plan. Not happy about it, but also not happy about the truck not working properly.

all, seems without purchasing data plan from google OR access plan from Onstar, the speed limit sign will not work, AND you are unable to download offline maps. Is everyone just biting the bullet, and paying additional money, or is there another workaround. As mentioned above, I tried logging into google, but cant save offline without a subscription plan. Not happy about it, but also not happy about the truck not working properly.
It's not worth the money to me. I don't use Google Maps. The speed limit sign was okay. It didn't always update quickly as it is, so it's not a big deal. They let you turn it off permanently on the dash, but not the HUD. As soon as the truck turns off it pops up again. Terrible design on that one.

It's not worth the money to me. I don't use Google Maps. The speed limit sign was okay. It didn't always update quickly as it is, so it's not a big deal. They let you turn it off permanently on the dash, but not the HUD. As soon as the truck turns off it pops up again. Terrible design on that one.
I agree, this is ridiculous. Why can't GM let you turn the speed sign off permanently in the HUD ?

Most Member Reactions

Back