Steering stabilizer

I think the Highcountry is ugly. Same with a Denali. They are grand pa trucks IMO. Chrome and wood grain isn't really my thing. It was cool back in the 80s-90s, lol. My first truck when I was 16 eventually had every piece of chrome you could possibly put on it. But that was over 25 years ago. I much prefer black trimmed trucks now. Chevy can't even do that with out giving us stupid chrome badges.

I think it wouldn't make much sense to buy a ZR2 and replace the shocks and wheels. But changing the torsion bars. Adding a stabilizer and some braces on a factory lifted truck running 35" load E tires. Makes plenty sense to me. Literally any trim would benefit from the same treatment. My brother-n-law has a lifted AT4 hd that sits just a little higher than my ZR2. His lift came with a stabilizer.

Not a chance! This ZR2 looks much better in the face! I am tired of after market lift kits! All I'm doing is beefing the steering and softening the ride and will have a full factory warranty on shocks and suspension. Had full Cognito several times and played the "where do I get my next set of ball joints from"!! I'm all good with my decisions AXE, but thanks for the suggestions :giggle:
You didn't have it set up right if you went through that many ball joints!

I think the Highcountry is ugly. Same with a Denali. They are grand pa trucks IMO. Chrome and wood grain isn't really my thing. It was cool back in the 80s-90s, lol. My first truck when I was 16 eventually had every piece of chrome you could possibly put on it. But that was over 25 years ago. I much prefer black trimmed trucks now. Chevy can't even do that with out giving us stupid chrome badges.

I think it wouldn't make much sense to buy a ZR2 and replace the shocks and wheels. But changing the torsion bars. Adding a stabilizer and some braces on a factory lifted truck running 35" load E tires. Makes plenty sense to me. Literally any trim would benefit from the same treatment. My brother-n-law has a lifted AT4 hd that sits just a little higher than my ZR2. His lift came with a stabilizer.
Grandpa trucks look pretty good around these parts!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230828_174141_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230828_174141_Chrome.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SmartSelect_20230828_174326_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230828_174326_Chrome.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
You didn't have it set up right if you went through that many ball joints!
You didn’t ask how many different trucks and what we do with them. Let it go man. Cognito has been through a lot of growing pains over the years. I have bought a lot of their stuff. Why do you think they switched styles so many times. I got what I want and know how I want it Thank you for your concerns 👍👍

Not a chance! This ZR2 looks much better in the face! I am tired of after market lift kits! All I'm doing is beefing the steering and softening the ride and will have a full factory warranty on shocks and suspension. Had full Cognito several times and played the "where do I get my next set of ball joints from"!! I'm all good with my decisions AXE, but thanks for the suggestions :giggle:
You didn’t ask how many different trucks and what we do with them. Let it go man. Cognito has been through a lot of growing pains over the years. I have bought a lot of their stuff. Why do you think they switched styles so many times. I got what I want and know how I want it Thank you for your concerns 👍👍
Just buy some better ball joints, they sell some good ones. About 20 minutes a side and your done!

Then find a shop that can set your alignment up right. Preferably one that does it without machines. I would have started there with the ZR2 before I spent any more on it. These trucks aren't assembled very well. Lot's of crooked shit if you start looking around.

Just buy some better ball joints, they sell some good ones. About 20 minutes a side and your done!

Then find a shop that can set your alignment up right. Preferably one that does it without machines. I would have started there with the ZR2 before I spent any more on it. These trucks aren't assembled very well. Lot's of crooked shit if you start looking around.
Apparently you didn't buy Cognito back in the early days...You really need to let go of that crooked bumper shit, you have really beat that to death...just sayin. It's not a secret about the steering components being the weak link. Always has been with the IFS trucks.

The first Cognito kid I had on a 2500HD was on this 2015, that I bought in April 2014. My boy is driving it now and and I replaced the lower ball joints at 80k cause the boots were cracked and did one set of ball joints around 60k. Pitman arm and idler arm just starting to loosen up some. Truck rode really nice, not ZR2 nice, but pretty good!

Attachments

• 20180825_163907.jpg
    20180825_163907.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Apparently you didn't buy Cognito back in the early days...You really need to let go of that crooked bumper shit, you have really beat that to death...just sayin. It's not a secret about the steering components being the weak link. Always has been with the IFS trucks.
I'm gonna keep asking about the bumpers cause I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with so many I've seen that way and why it seems to be on the 2024s. I've sent information off to AEV and they said they would try and help. I'm hoping for an answer. If it hurts your feelings to know just keep scrolling.

The secret to IFS is setting it up right. If your going through ball joints and bending tie rods you don't have a good setup. If you think you have a proper setup, maybe back her down a notch and work within the limits of the equipment.

The secret to IFS is setting it up right. If your going through ball joints and bending tie rods you don't have a good setup. If you think you have a proper setup, maybe back her down a notch and work within the limits of the equipment.
That’s absolutely hilarious!!! WTF DO YOU THINK WE ARE DOING by upgrading the weak links??? Damn your thick! I installed my first Cognito “leveling kit” with “corrective” upper UCA’s in 2006 on a GMC With a powerful EFI Live tune. Our first try we were doing 11 second 1/4 mile passes with the tailgate on at full weight! I have been through a lot of Cognito components! Hell, me grandson are finishing up, right now, torquing the beadlocks on my wife’s Fuel rims wrapped with 40’s 😂😂😂👍 She’s got a tuned and deleted diesel Wrangler that will pull like a freight train…lol So don’t even try to school me 👍👍

IMG_1389.jpeg
IMG_1171.jpeg

The secret to IFS is setting it up right. If you’re going through ball joints and bending tie rods you don't have a good setup. If you think you have a proper setup, maybe back her down a notch and work within the limits of the equipment.
Here’s an IFS for ya! Maybe you can tell me the secret to setting it up😂😂😂

Do you have any idea how big this is? It’s not some random pic off the net. It’s sitting in my shop….

IMG_1391.jpeg
IMG_1391.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: AXE
LOL....... i didn't know we were having an equipment showdown, but I'll participate on good faith anyway.

I've driven and worked on bigger shit than those little puddle jumper coaches. Starting about when I was 12, when you grow up farming you start early. Tires were as big as the front end of that little coach and I could pull 52 feet tandem disc for 6 hours after school.

These are similar to the last ones I drove that were owned by my uncle a couple years back. He retired, so now I have to drive my buddies to get my farm fix.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240418_162131_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240418_162131_Google.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 7
  • SmartSelect_20240418_162229_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240418_162229_Google.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
That’s absolutely hilarious!!! WTF DO YOU THINK WE ARE DOING by upgrading the weak links??? Damn your thick! I installed my first Cognito “leveling kit” with “corrective” upper UCA’s in 2006 on a GMC With a powerful EFI Live tune. Our first try we were doing 11 second 1/4 mile passes with the tailgate on at full weight! I have been through a lot of Cognito components! Hell, me grandson are finishing up, right now, torquing the beadlocks on my wife’s Fuel rims wrapped with 40’s 😂😂😂👍 She’s got a tuned and deleted diesel Wrangler that will pull like a freight train…lol So don’t even try to school me 👍👍

View attachment 12165View attachment 12166
That's my whole point, you have already ceded that it is an inherently rough riding and weak design for your needs. Then you buy a really nice riding truck that already has $5k+ worth of suspension and it still has all the same weak parts you described. Why not just build one right from the ground up?

Sounds like you enjoy the struggles more than good advice. Have at it!

LOL....... i didn't know we were having an equipment showdown, but I'll participate on good faith anyway.

I've driven and worked on bigger shit than those little puddle jumper coaches. Starting about when I was 12, when you grow up farming you start early. Tires were as big as the front end of that little coach and I could pull 52 feet tandem disc for 6 hours after school.

These are similar to the last ones I drove that were owned by my uncle a couple years back. He retired, so now I have to drive my buddies to get my farm fix.
Which one of those red ones have IFS???

BTW….Im a mechanic, not a driver. I enjoy a little adrenaline rush as well. I actually rebuild Cummins, Cat and Detroit. I forgot more about suspension set up and alignment than you will ever learn. I don’t build my stuff to sit around. My 58 yo wife’s Jeep is not a mall crawler. We enjoy ourselves. I’m getting older and learning new shit. No, we are not getting into an equipment showdown. Sometimes you meet folks that are just…let’s say …different. To that, I will wish you a good evening 👍👍
1713484387419.png

Last edited:
Bottom line, all IFS GM parts wear prematurely compared to other options…don’t care about the brand or setup, if used for work off the asphalt. Replaced way too many myself, it’s the price of admission on these trucks.

Let’s cut the pissin’ match off before it really gets going, they’re starting to be on repeat and getting old.

BTW….Im a mechanic, not a driver. I enjoy a little adrenaline rush as well. I actually rebuild Cummins, Cat and Detroit. I forgot more about suspension set up and alignment than you will ever learn. I don’t build my stuff to sit around. My 58 yo wife’s Jeep is not a mall crawler. We enjoy ourselves. I’m getting older and learning new shit. No, we are not getting into an equipment showdown. Sometimes you meet folks that are just…let’s say …different. To that, I will wish you a good evening 👍👍View attachment 12174
The tracked one has four different independent systems. They ride great and run better on damp ground. I still like the 8 wheeled tractors better though.

BTW….Im a mechanic, not a driver. I enjoy a little adrenaline rush as well. I actually rebuild Cummins, Cat and Detroit. I forgot more about suspension set up and alignment than you will ever learn. I don’t build my stuff to sit around. My 58 yo wife’s Jeep is not a mall crawler. We enjoy ourselves. I’m getting older and learning new shit. No, we are not getting into an equipment showdown. Sometimes you meet folks that are just…let’s say …different. To that, I will wish you a good evening 👍👍View attachment 12174
I don't doubt that, but you've made some questionable statements about a truck that is set up incredibly well from the factory. Arguably the best factory suspension ever put on a vehicle.

My premise is simple, I wouldn't want someone to read this thread and think this is even remotely a bad riding truck. We know 8BALL_99 had some additional equipment that his truck had that compromised the comfort and handling for daily driving.

You're waving your arms about everything you've ever had go wrong on a lifted truck with IFS. I think your truck has a setup problem or you bought the wrong truck.

I've driven four different Chevy ZR2 trucks and owned three. Every one if them had IFS and I would rank them as the most reliable, best handling, and comfortable trucks I've ridden in.

I would rank the 2500HD as perhaps the most impressive for what it does on a 9000 lb rig.

If you can watch this video and come to any other conclusion, you definitely have different expectations than 99.9% of people buying this rig.

Bottom line, all IFS GM parts wear prematurely compared to other options…don’t care about the brand or setup, if used for work off the asphalt. Replaced way too many myself, it’s the price of admission on these trucks.

Let’s cut the pissin’ match off before it really gets going, they’re starting to be on repeat and getting old.
Yep. Sorry about that. Hate that happened as I’m a brand new member. I’m a long time GM fan and really like this truck. Everything I can do to make it more comfortable and make parts live I will do! I’m kind of tired of owning High Country trucks and having to modify them! Personally I think GM knocked it out of the park with this 2500hd with the wheel wells and other features. I actually took the seat out of my 23 Tahoe HC last Saturday and installed it in this truck and it’s a game changer! I will leave it at that! I will post pics when it happens 👍👍👍

I don't doubt that, but you've made some questionable statements about a truck that is set up incredibly well from the factory. Arguably the best factory suspension ever put on a vehicle.

My premise is simple, I wouldn't want someone to read this thread and think this is even remotely a bad riding truck. We know 8BALL_99 had some additional equipment that his truck had that compromised the comfort and handling for daily driving.

You're waving your arms about everything you've ever had go wrong on a lifted truck with IFS. I think your truck has a setup problem or you bought the wrong truck.

I've driven four different Chevy ZR2 trucks and owned three. Every one if them had IFS and I would rank them as the most reliable, best handling, and comfortable trucks I've ridden in.

I would rank the 2500HD as perhaps the most impressive for what it does on a 9000 lb rig.

If you can watch this video and come to any other conclusion, you definitely have different expectations than 99.9% of people buying this rig.

You just don’t get it… I have said it’s a great truck. I have Kyphoscoliosis and that lower lumbar just hits me in all the wrong places. If I can invest in some softer riding torsion bars (which should allow some more flex) and it help with my particular issue, then I’m good. They will be here next week. If they don’t help, my new seat will be recovered with the factory upper and lower covers by mid May. I have stated my personal issues more than once. I will stop right here….

Most Member Reactions

Back