Tips & Tricks for the day of delivery?

Good one here! There is a risk of rain on Thursday so I will ask them to keep it in a service bay for the exterior and interior inspection. And, I will do the test drive after that.

I’m not as brave as @8ball_99 to take delivery without a test drive!
Lol, you should test drive it. Normally I would. But honestly I don't think I'm that picky. Besides, I drove up to get it. So it's not like I wasn't going to take it home if the leaf springs squeaked or some other random thing. I knew after a 500 mile shake down if it had a problem. It was going in to one of my local dealerships the next day.

Worked out, two months later and 2,300 miles. Everything has been great. I never really had any problems with my 22 1500 other than DOA brake controller. It did have the paint chips on the cal hood. But I never got it fixed. I traded it with that and a crack in the windshield. I'm not even sure the dealership even noticed, lol.

1000032984.jpg

Me waiting outside of DIA for @AXE

One more thing I have heard mentioned here; not that there is anything you can do about it. You can't put this thing in neutral unless you can turn it on. So dead battery.... :oops:
If I am wrong on that, someone fill me in please.

One more thing I have heard mentioned here; not that there is anything you can do about it. You can't put this thing in neutral unless you can turn it on. So dead battery.... :oops:
From what I'm reading unless your a dealer and have the correct tools ...your just stranded...! There needs to be a big fix on the e-shift thing.

The dead battery deal isn't great, but the worse issue is you can't put it into neutral without starting the engine. So if it won't start, it isn't moving. Hopefully they do a software update or something to fix that. A manual release would have been best. But no reason not to let it shift to neutral with the ignition on and the engine off. Heck often just putting a truck on a lift you need it in neutral with the engine off, lol.

Well, everything went super smooth! I really like this truck and am happy with my decision. I love the extra lift and fancy dampers, it all works really well on the road.

Most of the paperwork was signed electronically, so just a few wet signatures in the dealership. I checked all the usual things and all was well: oil level, fluids, tire pressures, etc. Weather seals were good, Interior plastics and leather were perfect, electronics all worked. And, I had a spare tire!

Only downer was it rained all day so delivery and my 200 mile drive home was in solid rain the entire time. I drove the first 100 miles on all backroads from VA, through WV, MD and into PA all the way to Harrisburg. I started out in L9 but after about 20 mins bailed out and just drove it in D. I drove pretty much like a 17-year old to hear the engine and exhaust as I hooned across country 2-lane roads over the Mason-Dixon line. Full on Dukes of Hazard vibe to this entire leg.

Then I jumped on the interstate for the last 100 miles. On the interstate, I went back to L9 and varied the gears between 6-9, with speeds between 65-85 MPH (the higher speeds were during a slight detour in Mexico).

Have a tick over 400 miles on it as of today and it still a kick when the remote start lights the fire. Oh yeah, it barely fits in the garage in all dimensions. Mere inches to spare at the door opening and front/rear bumpers. And, the mirrors have to fold in to clear the slide. The first pull into the garage was a pucker moment.

First mod is on Thursday when the front windows will get tinted to match the OEM glass. Next up will be a Bakflip MX4 tonneau in March when it warms up a bit in Eastern PA. Until then, I’ll keep rolling on the miles to let things break in and will probable do the first oil change myself between 750-1000 miles.

That’s about it on this thread for me. If anyone has questions, post up. And here’s some pictures…ya, it looks like every other Summit White ZR2!

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd put a set of Weathertech flaps on it to protect the paint. mine fit perfect.

I hate the seatbelt chime and the way you have to reach in a hole to buckle them. I got a set of 3" extenders that solved both problems.

The 1000 mile oil change is probably a waste. I did mine yesterday on my '24 and the oil looked like new. made me feel better getting a higher quality oil in it though so it's okay

Last edited:
I'd put a set of Weathertech flaps on it to protect the paint. mine fit perfect.

I hate the seatbelt chime and the way you have to reach in a hole to buckle them. I got a set of 3" extenders that solved both problems.

The 1000 mile oil change is probably a waste. I did mine yesterday on my '24 and the oil looked like new. made me feel better getting a higher quality oil in it though so it's okay
1000 to 1500 mile change is a good idea. My oil was silver and there was plenty of metal filling in the oil filter. Once it gets contaminated, it won't protect as well. I've posted a thread with filters cut open. I'm about to post some more information for the 10,000 mile change.

Well, everything went super smooth! I really like this truck and am happy with my decision. I love the extra lift and fancy dampers, it all works really well on the road.

Most of the paperwork was signed electronically, so just a few wet signatures in the dealership. I checked all the usual things and all was well: oil level, fluids, tire pressures, etc. Weather seals were good, Interior plastics and leather were perfect, electronics all worked. And, I had a spare tire!

Only downer was it rained all day so delivery and my 200 mile drive home was in solid rain the entire time. I drove the first 100 roads on all backroads from VA, through WV, MD and into PA all the way to Harrisburg. I started out in L9 but after about 20 mins bailed out and just drove it in D. I drove pretty much like a 17-year old to hear the engine and exhaust as I hooned across country 2-lane roads over the Mason-Dixon line. Full on Dukes of Hazard vibe to this entire leg.

Then I jumped on the interstate for the last 100 miles. On the interstate, I went back to L9 and varied the gears between 6-9, with speeds between 65-85 MPH (the higher speeds were during a slight detour in Mexico).

Have a tick over 400 miles on it as of today and it still a kick when the remote start lights the fire. Oh yeah, it barely fits in the garage in all dimensions. Mere inches to spare at the door opening and front/rear bumpers. And, the mirrors have to fold in to clear the slide. The first pull into the garage was a pucker moment.

First mod is on Thursday when the front windows will get tinted to match the OEM glass. Next up will be a Bakflip MX4 tonneau in March when it warms up a bit in Eastern PA. Until then, I’ll keep rolling on the miles to let things break in and will probable do the first oil change myself between 750-1000 miles.

That’s about it on this thread for me. If anyone has questions, post up. And here’s some pictures…ya, it looks like every other Summit White ZR2!

View attachment 10577
View attachment 10578
View attachment 10579
Very nice! Look at the BAK X4S...very nice cover.

Last edited:
I put the Bakflip cover on my TRX, very low profile best looking cover on the market in my opinion. takes about an hour to install. I'd put one on the ZR2 also but I want a canopy to haul my bird dogs in.

you might consider a full liner Bedrug too, a must with a cover or canopy for me.

I was considering that one too but wasn’t sure I want the vinyl exterior over the aluminum slats. The MX4 is all aluminum which is more my speed. I take it you have the X4S and like it?
The X4S is my second one on a truck. Ultra low profile which I like a lot. Easy to use and very weather tight. I'm not big on the folding panel designs. The X4S is solid aluminum with the black vinyl exterior. I really like Retrax covers and I've had three of them. I decided this time I didn't want to lose about 10" of bed space due to the canister.

ZR2 X4S.jpg

Most Member Reactions

Back