Towing

NebraskaZR2

Reaction score
This may have already been a thread so forgive me if I'm repeating things here....

Has anyone done much towing with their ZR2. Yes, I realize this is an off road truck with suspension tuned as such.

I've got a 5700 lb camper and based on what I've seen should be fine with a weight distributing hitch. I also plan to put airbags on when it gets here. Anyone have any suggestions or know for sure which ones will fit? I've been looking at the Airlift Loadlifter Pro Series which sounds like it should fit and my mechanic also seems to think it will.

I've watched the TFL guys tow a 10000 lb camper with a 1000 lb tongue weight on their "gauntlet" so figured it won't have any problems. Just curious to hear some firsthand account from anyone who has towed.

Thanks.

Carlos at 420 Motors on YouTube has a video where he towed his Raptor with his ZR2 on a flatbed open car hauler. The combined weight was probably over the limit of the ZR2 but it had no problem with it at all. He has a video up that shows how the cameras work and how the trailering system identified a potential overweight condition. I pull a 28' Avalon Tri-toon that weighs in a little over 5000 on the trailer with a full gas tank and coolers and stuff packed on board, and I haven't had an issue. I doubt you'll have any issue with your 5700lb camper.

Is there a difference in the tow ratings between the TB and ZR2?

I imagine the TB might be a tad better for towing.

IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg

Took my first towing trip with the ZR2. I don't have a scale or any technical analysis. Just some feedback.
The trailer is a 14ft, two axle, with a tongue weight of approximately 300lbs - 350lbs. I played with placement of the SXS forwards to back on the trailer to find the right placement of weight over the trailer axles, while putting enough weight on the tongue to avoid a lot of towing instability or sway. I don't know what my total tongue weight is, but the SXS weighs 1500lbs on its own, dry.
Basically I found the placement where the rear end slouched about 2 inches and gave that a shot on a test drive before the main trip. Readjusted a little, did another test drive, and found the load placement that felt the best inside the truck while driving. I marked that location on the trailer for future loading.
We went from 1500 ft elevation to 7000 ft, down to around 5000 ft and then way up to 9000 ft on the Kaibab Plateau of Arizona.
370 miles each way yielded 10.5 MPG going and 13.5 MPG coming home. The 6.2 had plenty of power with the total trailer weight of around 4000lbs after I loaded the remainder of our camping items and coolers on it. Some of the hills are very steep, and I was always able to pass slower vehicles when I needed to.
The ZR2 was extremely stable over freeway whoops and dips and bumps at 70-75 MPH. Never a white knuckle moment, and the braking was plenty sufficient. I know I am nowhere near maxing out the tow capacity of 8900, but that was my plan all along. I like to be over engineered to the task at hand, and not pushing the limits, because that can be stressful and no fun at all! I sold a 1 ton to get this ZR2 knowing that I don't need to tow 15k lbs :)
We drove home at night, and the only slight negative I have to report is that with the slight back end slouch you end up with slightly higher headlights that appears to annoy oncoming traffic a bit.
The towing technology inside the truck worked perfectly. I know people have complained about the processing speed of the info systems, and I agree, but for towing it worked great. The lane change/turning cameras that engage upon using your turn signal took a bit to get used to, but was very helpful to avoid unsafe merges and curbs due to track-over on tight turns. All the trailer lights worked great and the there were no issues with the 7 PIN.
The third night we received some snow that transitioned to ice. It was a blast driving the ZR2 in those conditions and it handled everything with ease and total control. The multimatic suspension on the frozen washboard was very impressive and a ton of fun!
Overall I am extremely pleased with the towing experience!

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to answer.

I've pulled my tractor a few times and a couple flat beds with various things. Tractor with the loader, bush hog and trailer is around 6,500ish lbs. Truck does well, but I did have to add airbags. The rear suspension is a bit soft for trailering. I haven't tried our boat yet as it starred to get cold right after I got the ZR2 broke in. Another reason for the airbags. The boat sits where it sits lol. No adjusting.

I agree it does well though. Good power, the cameras, brakes, ect all work well. I also came from a Duramax 6.6 2500

I've pulled my tractor a few times and a couple flat beds with various things. Tractor with the loader, bush hog and trailer is around 6,500ish lbs. Truck does well, but I did have to add airbags. The rear suspension is a bit soft for trailering. I haven't tried our boat yet as it starred to get cold right after I got the ZR2 broke in. Another reason for the airbags. The boat sits where it sits lol. No adjusting.

I agree it does well though. Good power, the cameras, brakes, ect all work well. I also came from a Duramax 6.6 2500
Totally understand your boat comment, and agree that the off road suspension is certainly softer, but that was a big reason why I bought the ZR2. With how rarely I tow, it makes for a great everyday driver and a very tolerable tow vehicle!

Totally understand your boat comment, and agree that the off road suspension is certainly softer, but that was a big reason why I bought the ZR2. With how rarely I tow, it makes for a great everyday driver and a very tolerable tow vehicle!
Oh I agree. It wasn't meant as a knock on the truck. I expected the soft rear end and I love the ride. The air bags are just a way to compensate for it when needed. I tried towing my tractor without them and it was on the bump stops lol. I don't tow all the time so I'd rather have the soft ride unloaded then it be stiff all the time.

Tow a 7x14 cargo trailer weekly. Had Firestone bags installed last week and couldn't be happier.
If you put Daystar cradles on your airbags you can run them empty. It softens the ride and keeps the bags from acting like limit straps. I posted a thread in the ZR2 mods section about it.

Was looking into the ZR2 or a High Country with the tow package. I would be hauling an Axis A24 boat and trailer, so about 7100 lbs dry weight. I would figure 7600-8000 loaded. I really would really prefer the ZR2, but unsure how it would handle the load. I would be hauling once a week in summer for short trips and one 240-mile trip per year, so towing would not be the main function. Has anyone had experience with this much of a load? Or would anyone just recommend the High Country because of the tow capacity? Thanks for your insight.

Was looking into the ZR2 or a High Country with the tow package. I would be hauling an Axis A24 boat and trailer, so about 7100 lbs dry weight. I would figure 7600-8000 loaded. I really would really prefer the ZR2, but unsure how it would handle the load. I would be hauling once a week in summer for short trips and one 240-mile trip per year, so towing would not be the main function. Has anyone had experience with this much of a load? Or would anyone just recommend the High Country because of the tow capacity? Thanks for your insight.
Add air bags you'll be good.

They are more or less the same truck. ZR2 has softer suspension, so you will need airbags probably. You are well with in the 8900 rating on the zr2. 6.2 is the same in both trims, Same transmission, same rear end, ect. The only real difference is with a high country you can add a max trailering package that steps up the rear end gear ratio to 3.42 vs the standard 3.23. With the 10speed GM themselves has said going up on the gear ratio makes very little difference though. I'd go with which ever trim you like the most. It's not like a high country is known for having a stiff suspension that handles heavy loads either.
I'm towing my boat with the ZR2 for the first time tomorrow. Much smaller boat than yours though, lol. It's about a 65mile haul for me with a small mountain in the middle. Not concerned at all. Truck handles my Tractor NP.
20230526_164943.jpg

Most Member Reactions

Back