TPMS Issues

AXE

Reaction score
After I installed my new tires and wheels, my passenger rear TPMS has lost contact twice. The first time was 3 days after new tires were installed. I could not get my code setting tool to work and Discount Tire couldn't either. They ended up replacing the TPMS sensor and it worked fine for two weeks and just dropped again. These are not the stock TPMS units, they are Dicount ones and I've never had an issue with theirs before.

Starting to think this may be an issue with the truck and not TPMS. I suppose there could be a compatibility issue with new TPMS.

I

After I installed my new tires and wheels, my passenger rear TPMS has lost contact twice. The first time was 3 days after new tires were installed. I could not get my code setting tool to work and Discount Tire couldn't either. They ended up replacing the TPMS sensor and it worked fine for two weeks and just dropped again. These are not the stock TPMS units, they are Dicount ones and I've never had an issue with theirs before.

Starting to think this may be an issue with the truck and not TPMS. I suppose there could be a compatibility issue with new TPMS.

I
You need to keep in mind that the computer control modules and ECU programming are totally new and very different in the refreshed truck. Just because something appears to be compatible from 2019 - 2022, it may not be.

Not sure what that means, but I got a 75% hit rate. Same one is out twice and I've never seen a TPMS go bad and I've been through a few dozen of em.

I had new wheels put on and the tire shop swapped in my stock TPM sensors. Reprogrammed without issues. Fast forward to a month or so after that, I had a service done at Chevrolet. During the tire rotation they couldn't get 1 TPMS to locate and the truck to read it. After an argument, they agreed to warranty it. Replaced the sensor and has worked "fine" since. Only other issue is all four sensors (even the old one) all read exactly 4 psi low. So if the truck shows all at 38 psi, they are actually 34 psi. I've verified this with 3 different external gauges. I now just set them at 34 (on the truck read out).

I had new wheels put on and the tire shop swapped in my stock TPM sensors. Reprogrammed without issues. Fast forward to a month or so after that, I had a service done at Chevrolet. During the tire rotation they couldn't get 1 TPMS to locate and the truck to read it. After an argument, they agreed to warranty it. Replaced the sensor and has worked "fine" since. Only other issue is all four sensors (even the old one) all read exactly 4 psi low. So if the truck shows all at 38 psi, they are actually 34 psi. I've verified this with 3 different external gauges. I now just set them at 34 (on the truck read out).
Interesting...mine are dead on to my two expensive tire pressure gauges.

My stock sensors all read 1.5 to 3 psi differential. It was the worst I've seen on all my TPMS. I only used stock tires/wheels for a 350 miles and sold them to my neighbor. My wife's 2023 Tahoe is pretty close to spot on. Might be 0.5 psi differential at times, but they are pretty good.

These new one's I've had from Discount Tire are the best I've ever had. All five have read exactly the same and are very close to the truck DIC reading.

My driver's rear has dropped twice since I've installed the Discount Tire TPMS, but I don't think its the sensor. I think it's the truck computer.

I'm going to have the dealer check it out. My dealer has an excellent service department and they treat me right for 27 years. But they can only fix so much, especially if it's intermittent electrical/computer related.

Keep us postted if yours drops again.

So about another 5 weeks ago I replaced the TPMS sensor again and so far it is working fine now.

The manager from Discount thought it was a bad battery in TPMS or it wasn't shutting off and battery was draining.

Hard to believe you get two in a row........thanks ChiNa!

So about another 5 weeks ago I replaced the TPMS sensor again and so far it is working fine now.

The manager from Discount thought it was a bad battery in TPMS or it wasn't shutting off and battery was draining.

When I got winter wheels and tires from discount tire the TPMS sensors never worked. I went back and forth with them for a month. Had the dealer look at them when I got an oil change and said they couldn't get them to work as well.

I bought OEM TPMS sensors to swap out in the wheels - everything was working again. No issues, psi was reading correctly.

CHI-NUH

Ironically, these are the most accurate and consistent TPMS sensors I've used. All six have read the same and match up pretty well to a couple guages I use.

My stock ones may have been the worst set I've had for consistency.

Ironically, these are the most accurate and consistent TPMS sensors I've used. All six have read the same and match up pretty well to a couple guages I use.

My stock ones are SPOT ON.

mine are a bitch to keep in spec. northeast weather lately is cold hot cold hot. i know its science.....im wondering if filling with nitrogen will help.

I don't use Nitrogen because I change pressure enough that it doesn't make sense. Probably not as big of swings on ZR2, bit when it's hot I can get readings +3-5 psi for tires with direct sun.

On my Duramax I run pressure as low as 20 psi in sand and 80 psi towing......sometimes on the same trip. I carry a Power Tank filled with CO2 so I can air up fast. It'll do a 35 inch tire in 60 to 90 seconds.

I don't use Nitrogen because I change pressure enough that it doesn't make sense. Probably not as big of swings on ZR2, bit when it's hot I can get readings +3-5 psi for tires with direct sun.

On my Duramax I run pressure as low as 20 psi in sand and 80 psi towing......sometimes on the same trip. I carry a Power Tank filled with CO2 so I can air up fast. It'll do a 35 inch tire in 60 to 90 seconds.
good info.

I had my third TPMS sensor from Discount Tire go bad. Went in and had them try to do a reset and no go. As I suspected after the second one, they got a bad batch of sensors from manufacturer. Manufacturer has now issued a recall for thousands of sensors.

Discount Tire associate said most of the bad sensors were sent to Arizona. So may not affect people elsewhere.

They are gonna replace them with OEMs that are also made by the same manufacturer. My OEMs were very inconsistent. Hope these are accurate and consistent.

I had my third TPMS sensor from Discount Tire go bad. Went in and had them try to do a reset and no go. As I suspected after the second one, they got a bad batch of sensors from manufacturer. Manufacturer has now issued a recall for thousands of sensors.

Discount Tire associate said most of the bad sensors were sent to Arizona. So may not affect people elsewhere.

They are gonna replace them with OEMs that are also made by the same manufacturer. My OEMs were very inconsistent. Hope these are accurate and consistent.
My OEMs have been spot on for the last 8 months.

Most Member Reactions

Back