Warning about towing

Chosenone

Reaction score
Have a 22 ZR2. Bought a new camper, 5000lb 25' length. The integrated brake controller in these trucks do not function. After about 2 minutes the brake system disconnects. Displays a message to get service. Took it to dealer, code c159c. No fix yet, Chevy has been working on the problem for over 8 months. I don't feel safe pulling my camper. The brakes got extremely hot on my way home from the camper dealer. Drove about 50 miles. I wouldn't tow a trailer with this truck. Looking into the lemon law. Just a heads up.

Have a 22 ZR2. Bought a new camper, 5000lb 25' length. The integrated brake controller in these trucks do not function. After about 2 minutes the brake system disconnects. Displays a message to get service. Took it to dealer, code c159c. No fix yet, Chevy has been working on the problem for over 8 months. I don't feel safe pulling my camper. The brakes got extremely hot on my way home from the camper dealer. Drove about 50 miles. I wouldn't tow a trailer with this truck. Looking into the lemon law. Just a heads up.
So there is a few threads on here about this. I have no idea why they can't figure out an official fix it seems. I will say I had this problem when I purchased my ZR2. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it in about an hour. I've pulled a couple different trailers about a dozen times and the trailer brakes work great. But others haven't had the same luck. Below is what they did to fix mine. As you can see it was back in August.
20220920_212214.jpg

So there is a few threads on here about this. I have no idea why they can't figure out an official fix it seems. I will say I had this problem when I purchased my ZR2. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it in about an hour. I've pulled a couple different trailers about a dozen times and the trailer brakes work great. But others haven't had the same luck. Below is what they did to fix mine. As you can see it was back in August.View attachment 1658
You are correct, counts which code. Yes the controller is replaced. However code C159C is a software issue. So far no fix. A truck that can't tow is useless to me. As far as I am concerned I have a lemon.

You are correct, counts which code. Yes the controller is replaced. However code C159C is a software issue. So far no fix. A truck that can't tow is useless to me. As far as I am concerned I have a lemon.
If you feel you have a lemon, then get an attorney and file a claim under the lemon law statute.

I don't disagree, I was extremely unhappy when mine didn't work. I own 5 different trailers. One has surge brakes but the other four have electric brakes. I've got airbags on mine because i pull trailers. I told my dealer exactly what you said. If I can't pull a trailer it's useless to me. Luckily they were able to get it sorted and it has worked ever since. Hopefully your dealer or GM can get you sorted.

I don't disagree, I was extremely unhappy when mine didn't work. I own 5 different trailers. One has surge brakes but the other four have electric brakes. I've got airbags on mine because i pull trailers. I told my dealer exactly what you said. If I can't pull a trailer it's useless to me. Luckily they were able to get it sorted and it has worked ever since. Hopefully your dealer or GM can get you sorted.
I agree sir, I am going to do my best with my dealer. I have a great dealer. This truck is a beast. Built like a tank, tows my camper fantastic. The camera system is incredible. 6.2 is awesome. Just a little disappointed I get told we have no solution right now.

Quick question for you guys, I’ve had mine for about six months, and when I brought it in for the first service, they told me about this recall for the trailer brake issue.. at the time it was a little concerned, but I’m about to pick up a 25 foot 4600 lb trailer this week. Does this issue exist on all trucks or just some? Reading other threads about towing, others say it does great without any mention of having this issue. I appreciate any feedback.

Reactions: AXE
I am not sure if this issue involves all trucks. However, I received a call about a month ago from my dealer. They replaced the brake controller on the dashboard. Towed my camper this weekend. Zero issues. Extremely pleased with towing.

i
Quick question for you guys, I’ve had mine for about six months, and when I brought it in for the first service, they told me about this recall for the trailer brake issue.. at the time it was a little concerned, but I’m about to pick up a 25 foot 4600 lb trailer this week. Does this issue exist on all trucks or just some? Reading other threads about towing, others say it does great without any mention of having this issue. I appreciate any feedback.
its a new module. i got a notice not to long ago.

I was at my dealer two weeks ago for first oil change. They advised me of a recall on the trailer braking system but didn’t have the part in stock. I got an email from them saying the part had arrived so I’m scheduling service for the correction. I have a 2022 built 8/22. This is the part being replaced GM84488395.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back