Water Leak

securityguy

Reaction score
We had some horrible super heavy rain storms come through yesterday and this past night. Got into my truck to head to church this morning and had water dripping from the microphone directly above the drivers seat. Wasn't crazy wet but dripping nonetheless. The headliner appeared to be dry. Got a paper towel and dried around the plastic mic piece the best I could. The only thing I can think of is either a clogged sunroof drain tube or the XM antenna on the roof. I literally have NEVER once opened the sunroof so this is puzzling and leads me to believe it may be the antenna. It's going into the dealer on Wednesday morning for a radio replacement since I have never been able to do an OTA so their recommendation was to replace the radio which came in last week. I'll have them look at this too.

Any other thoughts/suggestions I should look at? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
We had some horrible suer heavy rain storms come through yesterday and this past night. Got into my truck to head to church this morning and had water dripping from the microphone directly above the drivers seat. Wasn't crazy wet but dripping nonetheless. The headliner appeared to be dry. Got a paper towel and dried around the plastic mic piece the best I could. The only thing I can think of is either a clogged sunroof drain tube or the XM antenna on the roof. I literally have NEVER once opened the sunroof so this is puzzling and leads me to believe it may be the antenna. It's going into the dealer on Wednesday morning for a radio replacement since I have never been able to do an OTA so their recommendation was to replace the radio which came in last week. I'll have them look at this too.

100% positive it’s the shark fin.

Sunroof leaks tend to manifest themselves at the A-pillar to headliner line or the floor. The water follows the tube.

Also welcome to the new radio club. I think I have the record for clusters. 3 so far.

Reactions: AXE
100% positive it’s the shark fin.

Sunroof leaks tend to manifest themselves at the A-pillar to headliner line or the floor. The water follows the tube.

Also welcome to the new radio club. I think I have the record for clusters. 3 so far.
You are correct my friend. Just went out to take a close look and the shark fin appears to be a tiny bit loose so heavy driving rain can get underneath the rubber gasket. They will have to tighten up the antenna. Not sure how happy I am that they'll have to pull the headliner to get to it 😞

You are correct my friend. Just went out to take a close look and the shark fin appears to be a tiny bit loose so heavy driving rain can get underneath the rubber gasket. They will have to tighten up the antenna. Not sure how happy I am that they'll have to pull the headliner to get to it 😞
They all fit a little loose. The rubber seal on the outside is visual and a first line of defense against driving water. The real seal is a foam ring that’s compressed with a nut on the underside of the panel.

IMG_2418.jpeg

As long as the interior guy is good and he isn’t racing the warranty clock on flat rate it should be okay. You shouldn’t have to drop the entire liner to access the big nut on the bottom.

Driver sunvisor, a pillar and b pillar trim, door seals on the drivers side and you can reach your hand under and change it out. As long as they don’t get lazy and crease it rushing it will be fine.

Last edited:
They all fit a little loose. The rubber seal on the outside is visual and a first line of defense against driving water. The real seal is a foam ring that’s compressed with a nut on the underside of the panel.

View attachment 9017

As long as the interior guy is good and he isn’t racing the warranty clock on flat rate it should be okay. You shouldn’t have to drop the entire liner to access the big nut on the bottom.

Driver sunvisor, a pillar and b pillar trim, door seals on the drivers side and you can reach your hand under and change it out. As long as they don’t get lazy and crease it rushing it will be fine.
Thanks Wu! Do you think I can do this myself? Do you really have to remove the b-pillar trim???

Thanks Wu! Do you think I can do this myself? Do you really have to remove the b-pillar trim???
I would. You risk creasing the liner if you don’t. The headliner is a rigid board. It doesn’t fold like the ones of yesteryear.

If you’re comfortable with trim work it’s an easy job. Detrim, verify the leak and change it out.

I would. You risk creasing the liner if you don’t. The headliner is a rigid board. It doesn’t fold like the ones of yesteryear.

If you’re comfortable with trim work it’s an easy job. Detrim, verify the leak and change it out.
Thanks...do you have anything you can share that can help me remove the b-pillar fairly easily? So, if I am understanding you correctly,...should I just try to tighten that bolt and see if I can get it secured to the roof a bit better?

Thanks...do you have anything you can share that can help me remove the b-pillar fairly easily? So, if I am understanding you correctly,...should I just try to tighten that bolt and see if I can get it secured to the roof a bit better?
Sure can.
IMG_2427.jpeg

Just make sure you line up the height adjuster for the seatbelt when you reinstall it.

You can try to tighten it. If it is the leak, chances are the foam seal is compromised.

Sure can. View attachment 9053

Just make sure you line up the height adjuster for the seatbelt when you reinstall it.

You can try to tighten it. If it is the leak, chances are the foam seal is compromised.
Awesome...what are your thoughts on putting clear silicone around that foam seal before putting it back on?

Awesome...what are your thoughts on putting clear silicone around that foam seal before putting it back on?
No Silicone. If the seal is compromised let warranty pay for a new antenna. The compression seal is all the shark fin needs. If there’s ever an electrical failure you’ll have to deal with the mess of cleaning it up.

I have seen some SHIT in my years of back when I did Auto Glass. Lol

Only time I ever used silicone was Frenching windshields on split window Fords.

No Silicone. If the seal is compromised let warranty pay for a new antenna. The compression seal is all the shark fin needs. If there’s ever an electrical failure you’ll have to deal with the mess of cleaning it up.

I have seen some SHIT in my years of back when I did Auto Glass. Lol

Only time I ever used silicone was Frenching windshields on split window Fords.
Understood. Should I just let the dealer do it then? If it is the seal, it may be best me not messing with it. Or could it just be a matter of tightening the bolt and see what happens?

We had some horrible super heavy rain storms come through yesterday and this past night. Got into my truck to head to church this morning and had water dripping from the microphone directly above the drivers seat. Wasn't crazy wet but dripping nonetheless. The headliner appeared to be dry. Got a paper towel and dried around the plastic mic piece the best I could. The only thing I can think of is either a clogged sunroof drain tube or the XM antenna on the roof. I literally have NEVER once opened the sunroof so this is puzzling and leads me to believe it may be the antenna. It's going into the dealer on Wednesday morning for a radio replacement since I have never been able to do an OTA so their recommendation was to replace the radio which came in last week. I'll have them look at this too.

I have seen that Florida is experiencing heavy rainstorms. Sounds like buckets of water on your truck.

Understood. Should I just let the dealer do it then? If it is the seal, it may be best me not messing with it. Or could it just be a matter of tightening the bolt and see what happens?
If it was my truck, I would attempt to tighten it and water test it myself. I avoid the dealer any time I can.

I have seen that Florida is experiencing heavy rainstorms. Sounds like buckets of water on your truck.
It was crazy my friend! Super heavy rain and blowing horizontal rain which is the only reason I can think of that I got a bit of water in there. It wasn't bad, maybe an ounce of water at most. Maybe the antenna loosened up over the past year as we've had bad storms before and never any water intrusion :unsure: Either I'll try to see what's going on, if I have time, or let them look at it on Wednesday when they are replacing the radio. My son and his wife are in town for a few days so not much free time now to play with the truck.

i agree..prob antenna

Just finished taking her apart. Did not have to take off the B-Pillar and had plenty of room to get to the antenna bolt. The antenna is tight as a drum so must be the gasket as @wutang61 stated above. I'll call the dealer next week and see if they'll order a replacement without me having to bring it in and confirming our diagnosis. I have a great relationship with them so we'll see how it goes. That sun visor removal took the longest and is a bit of a hassle and far more difficult than it needed to be. More to come...Merry Christmas everyone!

Got my ZR2 back from the dealer on Saturday. They gave me a 2024 Silverado RST with a 5.3 as a loaner for three days. They discovered the water was coming in from a cracked rail on the frame of the sunroof. They replaced the entire frame rail and performed another water test. They say all is good. We'll find out when we get another heavy rain ;) While doing the repair work, the tech scratched up the passenger B-pillar and creased the headliner. The dealer noticed them and already has the parts on order. They are supposed to be in by the end of this week. It's always something my friends. More to come as the repair continues. happy Sunday guys!

Got my ZR2 back from the dealer on Saturday. They gave me a 2024 Silverado RST with a 5.3 as a loaner for three days. They discovered the water was coming in from a cracked rail on the frame of the sunroof. They replaced the entire frame rail and performed another water test. They say all is good. We'll find out when we get another heavy rain ;) While doing the repair work, the tech scratched up the passenger B-pillar and creased the headliner. The dealer noticed them and already has the parts on order. They are supposed to be in by the end of this week. It's always something my friends. More to come as the repair continues. happy Sunday guys!
Sorry to hear that. It’s one step forward and two steps back. Like how hard is it to be careful with other peoples stuff. These rigs are expensive but if they fire the guy then who they gonna hire?

that sucks bro. neverending.

Most Member Reactions

Back