Water Leak Through Sunroof

Lake Life

Reaction score
I’ve noticed when I go through the touch-free car wash water will sprinkle through the sunroof during the high speed rinse pass. It appears the pressure is forcing down the sunroof. I used this with all my current and past vehicles and never encountered this issue. I’m just wondering if this is common or worth bringing to the dealer.

I’ve noticed when I go through the touch-free car wash water will sprinkle through the sunroof during the high speed rinse pass. It appears the pressure is forcing down the sunroof. I used this with all my current and past vehicles and never encountered this issue. I’m just wondering if this is common or worth bringing to the dealer.
The roofs are thin sheet metal and relatively unsupported. I have run my 1500 and 2500HD through touchless car washes with no sunroofs. I can here the roof vibrate and flex. It's especially bad with 2500HD cause it's only 4 inches from the nozzles.

If I can avoid sunroofs, I will for these reasons, plus I don't like using them anyway.

No leaks on mine yet, but those car washes do get me worried with how close to the nozzle the roof is.

The roofs are thin sheet metal and relatively unsupported. I have run my 1500 and 2500HD through touchless car washes with no sunroofs. I can here the roof vibrate and flex. It's especially bad with 2500HD cause it's only 4 inches from the nozzles.

If I can avoid sunroofs, I will for these reasons, plus I don't like using them anyway.
Agreed...I have NEVER used any of the sunroofs I've had and really don't want another. However, about 100% of the dealers always order them with a roof. I know I can special order and may go that route next...we'll see.

Agreed...I have NEVER used any of the sunroofs I've had and really don't want another. However, about 100% of the dealers always order them with a roof. I know I can special order and may go that route next...we'll see.
If you get vehicles with LTZ or above and all the options, they rarely don't have sunroof around here. I got lucky with my 1500 and Tahoe and neither one had them. Ordered my 2500HD without one.

I had a couple electronic issues with my two previous vehicles and couldn'tget them closed. One leak when drain tube came loose at firewall connection. I will admit, the loose drain tube could have been self inflicted cause I had pulled some wiring through that same area before.

Question. Possibly a stupid one. But one that needs to be asked none the less.

Is this water getting into the interior? Or you just see water getting past the seal into the drain system?

Sunroofs are designed to leak…. A little. It’s as designed if that’s the case.

Is this water getting into the interior? Or you just see water getting past the seal into the drain system?

they have drains too. never liked sunroofs

I actually love the additional light and nice weather running it open, I ordered both my zr2s with the option.

To each his own, whether you like them or use them, many trucks have them. To the OP - my truck does this as well. You feel it hit you, it’s not like running into the cab or anything. It’s odd, you can just feel the “overspray”, it’s not much but enough to catch your attention. I’ve had zero issues outside the car wash.

On mine, it’s not really a “leak” per se that’s running into the interior or the drain. It’s like the pressure is just slightly breaking the seal and a bit of “over spray” can be felt on your head. It’s very slight, I second guessed myself until my wife was like “did I feel a tiny bit of water?”

You nailed it…….it is overspray from the powerful rinse wash (Not really a leak)
i, too, like the light and use the sunroof quite often in the Spring and Fall. Just surprised it doesn’t have a stronger spring to keep it pushed up.

Absolutely love my moon/sun roof and use it daily! NEVER had any issues and I have a monthly subscription to GO Car Wash and have run mine through up to 3 times a week sometimes for almost a year. Never any issues.

Most Member Reactions

Back