What Aftermarket Wheels to Buy?

Jdifranco13

Reaction score
This is my first time doing any kind of aftermarket modifications to a vehicle and I am curious what everyone's opinion is on the best brands of aftermarket wheels for the ZR2. I know looks will be subjective, but trying to gauge which wheels are also built strong. Obviously I have seen the popular ones (Fuel, Black Rhino, etc.). Not sure if these are technically the best, or just the most popular. Interested in what everyone thinks... Thanks!

I was looking at the Volk TE37xt or the Enkei RPT1...Both will be lighter than stock, even if upsizing to a slightly larger wheel since they are made with better technology. Id like to do a 17x9 with a 0 to -12 offset so I can stuff more tire and more sidewall under the fenders.

I was looking at the Volk TE37xt or the Enkei RPT1...Both will be lighter than stock, even if upsizing to a slightly larger wheel since they are made with better technology. Id like to do a 17x9 with a 0 to -12 offset so I can stuff more tire and more sidewall under the fenders.
Oh man... You may have just found my wheel for me... That Enkei RPT1 is pretty damn nice! But of course it's also more expensive than the others I was looking at. haha I do like that's made in Japan and not China though.

I was thinking the same thing. the 17x9 +0 offset is 24 pounds which I believe is lighter than stock. If we upsize to a 315/70r17 it would be 52 lbs. vs the stock 50 lbs. So over all we would lose weight and gain over an inch

I was thinking the same thing. the 17x9 +0 offset is 24 pounds which I believe is lighter than stock. If we upsize to a 315/70r17 it would be 52 lbs. vs the stock 50 lbs. So over all we would lose weight and gain over an inch
Well, I would probably stick with 18's, but my real question is, can these wheels handle off-roading (it would be light off-roading if anything). I was set on black wheels, but that gunmetal might look awesome with the glacier blue truck... ugh... lol

So my real question is, if you are worried about off-roading, why stick with an 18? You will have more sidewall with a 17 and a better ride offroad. Also yes, the technology they use for casting is superior to OEM and I would bet they will hold up better than most aftermarket wheels that aren't forged.

So my real question is, if you are worried about off-roading, why stick with an 18? You will have more sidewall with a 17 and a better ride offroad. Also yes, the technology they use for casting is superior to OEM and I would bet they will hold up better than most aftermarket wheels that aren't forged.
Stop making me think more... You're going to make me spend more money... lol

To be honest, I know nothing about aftermarket mods on vehicles. This will be the first time I really do some modifications to something, so I am pretty new to all of this. I mean, if I go off-road, it would be very minimal. I know this truck is meant for that, but it will mostly be a daily driver for me, probably 98% of the time. The issue personally is if I go with 17's, then I would definitely want to get better tires right away too so I don't lose any of that ground clearance or the bigger looking size. You're killing me... haha

Also, how does this change fitment considering it's a 0 offset, as compared to the stock which I think is 20 maybe?

If you go to a 17 you will need new tires since your stock are 18. The stock wheel is a 26mm offset from what I have read so a 0 offset wheel will push the wheel 26mm (1 inch) further out towards the fender. If you want to keep it budget friendly, you could do the 18x9 and keep the stock tires on it. then when the stock tires wear out down the road replace them with slightly larger tires better for off-roading

If you go to a 17 you will need new tires since your stock are 18. The stock wheel is a 26mm offset from what I have read so a 0 offset wheel will push the wheel 26mm (1 inch) further out towards the fender. If you want to keep it budget friendly, you could do the 18x9 and keep the stock tires on it. then when the stock tires wear out down the road replace them with slightly larger tires better for off-roading
So if that is correct, and the stock wheels are 8.5 width, would there be any issues with rubbing or anything if changing the offset to 0 and adding 1/2" to the rim width? Would you know about that?

I am trying to do that research as we speak. From what I can tell a 9 inch wide wheel with a 0 offset will fit no problem, it will push the wheel out slightly less than the guys running a 1.5 inch wheel spacer on the stock wheel. I am pretty sure if you stay with the stock size tire you will be ok. Don't quote me because every truck is a little different and there aren't many people running aftermarket wheels on these trucks yet. Be my guinea pig :)

I am trying to do that research as we speak. From what I can tell a 9 inch wide wheel with a 0 offset will fit no problem, it will push the wheel out slightly less than the guys running a 1.5 inch wheel spacer on the stock wheel. I am pretty sure if you stay with the stock size tire you will be ok. Don't quote me because every truck is a little different and there aren't many people running aftermarket wheels on these trucks yet. Be my guinea pig :)
hey, I just want to be sure there won't be any issues before I drop $2500. lol

I agree 100 percent, that's why I haven't done it yet lmao

I agree 100 percent, that's why I haven't done it yet lmao
Lol. I was also wondering if it makes sense to get a set of 5, or just 4 and one cheaper rim in the event I need to switch out the spare. I'd be curious to know if the wheel hanging under truck is protected or if it's susceptible to damage from debri flying up... If that were the case, then i'd probably only buy 4.

If you are baller buy 5 and just flip the one underneath upside down. Or get a bed mount cage for it :) My tentative plan is to get the Enkei RPT1 in the 17x9 0 offset and wrap them in the Goodyear wrangler Duratrac 315/70r17 I just need to do more research..... And Id like to have 5 for sure.

I wouldn't pay the premium for wheels with the same offset. Will still look sunken. Get a wheel that is the same diameter for less money aftermarket. Dealer will rip you off

Having struggled to find a good tire/wheel combo that I felt fit the looks of the truck, while not pushing it too far while waiting for ZR2 aftermarket support (proper upper arms, leveling kits), I figured out that if you want a wheel that pushes the tires out, without too much poke, you’ll want a -12 offset and a tire no wider than 315. I have 285s on mine and wish I’d gone to a 295 or 315. If your wheel has a zero offset, like mine do, you’re going to want 1” spacers to get your tires flush with the truck with mild rubbing at max lock. If you’re using the stock wheels you can use 1.5” spacers and get minor rubbing at max lock (although some owners here have said that they get no rub with 1.5” spacers, so your situation may vary). You can see my posts about my Method 703s to see my progress with my fitment issues. Keep in mind though that if you get 1” spacers, like I do, you’re going to have to grind off some of the lug studs to get them to fit with your wheels because they’ll poke out too far.

I wouldn't pay the premium for wheels with the same offset. Will still look sunken. Get a wheel that is the same diameter for less money aftermarket. Dealer will rip you off
Well at the moment, I am just waiting on my dealer to confirm whether the exact gloss black wheels that were optional on the ZR2 are the ones she's quoting me, because if it's the optional gloss black from the official GM accessories site, then it's not the same and I don't want it. I really do like the look of the gloss black wheel that was optional at the time of build. It still angers me to this day that for so long when you selected the gloss black it just said "See dealer for pricing", but they didn't know either. So, no one knew if the black wheels would be $3k or not, so that's why I didn't pick them initially. But yea, I am still considering the Fuel rebels. I know they're kind of the popular one, but I haven't really seen any other aftermarket wheels that I like as much.

Most Member Reactions

Back